State Foliage Report for September 24th

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

admin
Site Admin

State Foliage Report for September 24th

Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:34 pm

The weekend State Foliage Report is up now on
http://www.foliage-vermont.com

ixl

Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:58 pm

Okay, I remember my first year that I went up, I was going by the state reports and got what I felt to be "burned" because they said it would be peak but there was only color at the higher elevations, while most of the area was still green.

So when the report says:

"State foresters are predicting that foliage in the Northeast Kingdom will be near or at peak next week as bright fall color broadens its reach through the higher elevations and northern sections of the state."

Can anyone interpret what this really means? Thanks. :)
Charles Kozierok - DesktopScenes.com

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

pwt54

Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:13 pm

As an ex state employee I can translate this, but it would risky as I plan to drive the roads we plan to take for the Reunion tomorrow. I need a clear mind to be able to evaluate the foliage. On Saturday my brother and I will be driving around the woodbury, Calais, Cabot, and Peacham area after a heaping helping of beans and franks at the Wayside Diner near Montpelier. How's that for planning? And I'll bet I can find a maple creamee somewhere around there by mid-afternoon. :D

admin
Site Admin

Color this weekend

Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:16 pm

I was just up north of Island Pond on the road to Canaan and the colors will be peaking next week for sure. Take a look at my picture of the day. I just took it around 5 pm today...color is pretty good I think.

www.foliage-vermont.com/pictures.htm

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:20 pm

Phil! Clear your mind well for the reunion road check tomorrow! We need to hear all the details for this long-awaited day!!! Enjoy your beans and franks and creamee!

I have started building a stockpile of healthy foods to take for the Friday tour and for the reunion. I am going to convert you! Do you like dried fruit for starters? I also got a case of water!

I want you to be around for years to come for all these future reunions and meet-ups!!! :wink: :wink: :wink:
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:23 pm

Tim: this looks so promising! I know this year's foliage will be comparable to 2008 which was stellar! It looks close to popping! :D
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

ixl

Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:24 pm

Thanks Tim, and nice picture!

This will help me firm up my plans.. right now I am thinking of going up late next week and working roughly east to west towards the Champlain area.

(PS You have the date as 2008 on your picture..)

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

GIC

Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:02 pm

PTW54 if you and your brother are going to have another round of “heaping helpings of beans and franks” on the day of the SOV reunion, I just want to make sure I stay up wind of you two.
I ‘m sure the moose and rest of the wildlife already know when you two are in the vicinity.
I’m from Texas and I have lived in New England for 13 years. To date I have yet to see any moose or bear. All of my family has encountered moose except for me. So please skip the “heaping helpings of beans and franks”.

ixl, I myself as well have been burned many a time with those reports. The key disclaimer word is “predicting”. LOL we all know about trying to predict foliage.
As Tim pointed out in his really nice pic “Seeing is believing” the foresters may just have it right on the money this time. Double stamp of approval will be perfect if PTW54 issues his stamp of approval after their drive thru.
If so I’m reversing my routing. I will head up to Vermont next week. After the reunion head to New Hampshire, Maine and then back to Mass.

BTW CT please make sure they drink plenty of water. We certainly do not won’t the tress to wilt in to past peak conditions due to “heaping helpings of beans and franks”!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:28 pm

GIC: I will try to convince Phil and his Brother to drink the water! :roll:

On the Bennington Battle Days Meet-up tour, I had a lot of healthy food in the car for the road tour and trip up Equinox. Phil and Brother had to stop at some drive in place for lunch and get some greasy hot dogs, potato chips (not baked like I had in the car) and these crazy bottled drinks full of sugar! There's no saving this man! :shock:

(Wait till you meet his brother...... :roll: two peas in a pod. I think they are twins actually! :wink:)

Boonlong

Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:24 am

I noticed that they are showing the NEK peaking now on the map. The map from the same time last year still showed NEK as early. Does this mean the leaves will peak early this year? I'm about to kick myself for planning my trip for the week of October 11, but it's too late to change now.
Robert Wilson

faxmachineanthem

Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:29 am

Boonlong,
Check out the two webcams at the bottom of this link. At least in those views, the colors are starting to come out but it sure doesn't look like peak to me.

http://www.northeastfoliage.net/

pwt54

Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:51 pm

I just got back from the NEK and as much as I hate to admit it, the State Foresters were close. It's still a fews days from peak up there. The early turning maples were putting on a show today but the rest of the trees still early. If you have foliage fever this weekend the NEK will not disappoint you. Sorry i'm taking so long to type, I'm trying to watch the Red Sox/Yankee's game and type at the same time.

From_the_NEK

Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:01 pm

pwt54's report is correct. The frost the other night really kicked the color change into high gear. Every morning on the way to work I'm amazed at how the colors are that much brighter than they were the day before. This weekend/early next week is definitely going be the arrival of the peak color. Here are a few pictures I took during my evening walk just before sunset tonight.

ixl

Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:25 pm

NEK, think things still look okay for next weekend?

Of course the color is never constant so if one area is past another area should look good...

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:12 am

NEK: thank you for the gorgeous photos! I hope that color holds out for next weekend. I don't get to the NEK until Friday a.m. the 2nd of October. Things are looking awesome where you live! This cold weather is going to make things start to pop quickly. BRRRR!

I'll be in Burlington with bm Thursday to travel some routes around her neck of the woods. I've never been to Burlington and want to see what that city looks like and then will travel over to Hyde Park.

Can't wait!!! 8) Thanks again! You are a great poster :!: