How far South-Travel from Oklahoma

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

bushinspector

How far South-Travel from Oklahoma

Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:40 pm

After 25 years of being married we have always talked about seeing fall in the NE. Yep this is the year!!!!!!

We are planning to leave NW Oklahoma Oct 2nd and drive up to the falls and then swing on thru Vermont. After Vermont then be going on to the Bethel Maine area. Linchfield CT area will be next stop.

I'm getting a little confused after looking at the Maine sites and then looking at the Vermont sites for fall foliage. It seems that they are some thinking it will be past its prime.

Would like to drive somewhere and find "peak." So we are now thinking we my to mend our vacation and go a little more South. Thanks for any input and suggestions in advance.

pwt54

Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:50 pm

I'm not sure when you will arrive here, but I'm guessing the the best color will be along the route US 4 corridor in VT, NH, and Maine. However, that southern section of Maine is close to the ocean and may have a warmed climate, so there may be good color farther north. I drove down through western VT, the Lake George area of NY, and the eastern Catskill Area south of Albany, NY on Oct 11th of last year and the colors were great.

bushinspector

Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:48 pm

Should be arriving in the area October 6,7th. I have hiked on the AT up in Maine but have read much about Whites and plan to spend some time in the area. Our plans are to camp out at the state parks and do driving loops where the fall follage is the best.

faxmachineanthem

Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:47 pm

I'm guessing the experts will tell you that the central part of the state should be looking pretty good at that time. I'm thinking Rutland/Killington north to Middlebury/Waitsfield. If the higher elevations of the White Mountains are past peak on your way to Maine, you can drive through NH's lakes region where peak is later. Meredith is a pretty little town on Lake Winnipesaukee.

bushinspector

Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:40 pm

Being from flat land Oklahoma I was assuming that jpeak would move from North to South very quickly. Really did not think that the elevation change would have that large effect on it. We live in a area where very few trees are present and you can see forever.

DCE Nebraska

Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:50 am

I have been reading your inquiry posts and also some of the replies. Being from Nebraska and having visited Vermont for the fall foliage 10 out of the last 12 years, one has to go by an average as for peak in different areas as it can vary from year to year. We stay for 5 days and we try to pick a period between Oct 3rd and Oct 11th. In our opinion, the best years were 1997 and 2007 and other years were good except for 1998 and 2006. We were in the NEK in 1997 on Oct. 6th and 7th and the foliage was fantastic. The nest year 1998 we were there the 3rd and 4th and it was sticks. They had a rain with a lot of wind and the leaves left. We usually stay in East Central Vermont as one can take day trips from this location. The hamlet of Peachem is a good indicator of what the foliage will be in the NEK as for all of the sugar maples in that area. If it is peak there, there is no sense going on north unless you are near Lake Willouby close to water. The Connecticut River Valley is slightly later than the north and central as for the river. Usually I enter Vermont via Lake George and Rutland or north of Plattsburg, NY and cover some of the northern areas like Smugglers Notch, Stowe, Appalachian Gap and that will determine when peak foliage is as for Vermont. One suggested the Highway 4 corridor and it can be a busy road especially near Woodstock or highway 100 south of Stowe. When you mention Bethel, Maine, I would suggest on your timing the road from Goreham down to Conway can be peak about the 7th. It is also colorful around Bethel. Vermont and New Hampshire has many interesting towns and hamlets that are worth your time going through and making an occasional stop. Another route when you leave the area might be Highway 9 to Bennington or go tp Greenfield Mass. and take take the Mohawk trail (hwy 2) west. This is one of the prettiest roads for fall foliage around Oct 10-12. I have been through Northwest Oklahoma and you have no problem with trees blocking a view there. You will truly enjoy the foliage in the New England States and you can adjust some as latitude, elevation, and closeness to water can affect when the peak foliage is in some areas. Your return trip from there should be fantastic like on 80 thru Pennsylvania or West Virginia if you are returning about the 15th. I am sure you will consider returning for the fall foliage after you have visited the area like we have.

bushinspector

Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:05 pm

Thank you DCE Nebraska for all the knowledge that you have suggested and I understand that the "peak" is somewhat beyond why one chases the follage, but after 25 years of talking about it one would like to have the best trip possible. Thanks also for some ideas about the return trip as i have not gave it much thought. We are thinking that we would stop by New York City on the way home to see the sights as well. Take care and thanks for the ideas.

pwt54

Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:30 pm

The 6th and 7th will still have good color the way things are looking right now. Colors in th southern Adirondacks of NY should have good color, but below there the colors will be early. DCE Nebraska's suggestions for NH are good ones. I took routes I-87,I-84, and I-81 and there was pretty good foliage next to the roads but away from the roads there wasn't much. The forests down south are dominated by the oaks. The other trees don't stand a chance. So the good colors are in zones that have few oaks. When you do find the colors they are as good as ours. I've driven some roads in eastern and southern West Virginia and there are some great drives down there even without fall colors. You could also do the Blue Ridge parkway in western Virginia. Once again, the colors will be in zones, but the views make up for it.