Music To Cruise Foliage With

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

Billy Autumn

Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:11 am

Andy raises a good question. What's your idea of good music while on the road taking in the fall scenery. I was thinking some Beethoven's Ninth might hit the spot. Or possibly Metallica. Any other suggestions?

Andy

Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:57 pm

Hi Billy: Welcome to the forum. Let try to keep the threads on topic. The Blog Announcement is on the most recent SOV BLOG post. I highly commend its reading, but lets keep that thread on the topic of the Blog, please.

OTOH, this is a REALLY GOOD new topic, and I moved it and renamed it (its easy to start your own topic here -- and then YOU get to name it :) )

While I do like classical music, I guess I would probably listen to classic rock and roll while riding up and down Vermont's Scenic Country Roads.
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

Andy

Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:16 pm

Let me guess, you are bringing Kanye to "rap" for us. Please, don't do it. He might try to steal the foliage's limelight! :twisted:
Andy

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:40 pm

Carol! What do you have up your sleeve for the reunion now???? :twisted:

Watch out! Carol is full speed ahead with foliage fever! :wink:

Andy, oh what you are missing! :!:
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

GIC

Ahh The Music

Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:30 am

I literally listen to just about anything.
Mainly while viewing foliage driving or on my PC I listen to New Age or Soundscapes.
Just to name some.
Deuter
Yanni
Nirvana
Gandolf
Narai
Michael Hedges
Eric Tingstad
Llewellen
Ryan Farish

To get the blood pumping Good Old Classic Rock n Roll 60's and 70's
I'll have my MP3's and CD's fired up and ready!

BTW I heard Carol is giving out free IPODS !

wentworth

Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:57 am

abby wrote:You are on a roll tonight Andy!!! :D
Nah......no Kanye for us, that's for sure!!!!!! I have something waaaay better in mind!!!! I wish you were going to be there!!! You are going to miss out on all the fun! :wink:
Carol
--lol--agree--Anything BUT Kanye West--rap "music", if you can call it even music lol, definitley is a no-no for Vermont--can't imagine anything so diametrically opposed to the beauty of Vermont than hippity hop "music" lol

Andy

Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:48 am

Mary Chapin Carpenter is good, too (maybe my one concession to "country" :P ). But the name, Chapin brings up another:

Wasn't Harry Chapin from Rutland? If so, seems like you would have add some of his stuff (maybe Taxi, as in the PWT Express?)
Andy

faxmachineanthem

Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:56 am

Whenever I go to VT I like to break out some Phish. :D

Andy

Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:02 am

My brother (18 year my junior) went to the Phish Concert (I think it was in or around St. Johnsbury) some years back that turned the Interstate into a parking lot, and the fields into mudbaths. Sounds like is was a memory (perhaps from hell?).

I would have thought that since my daughter and he both are a-Phish-ianados, that I wouldn't care for it. But I do like them -- eerily reminiscent of The Grateful Dead, which makes it easy for me to loop back to Vermont and its famous Ice Cream makers' "Cherry Garcia" ice cream. (sorry -- its just this Vermontabee brain of mine)
Andy

faxmachineanthem

Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:10 am

I was at that same show-- it was held in Coventry. It was a disaster logistically but sometimes those create the best memories. Some people waited over 24 hours on the highway, and finally abandoned their cars on the highway and hiked several miles in carrying their camping equipment, only to have camp in a mud field.

I made the best routing decision of my life by disobeying the official entrances and taking a western route with Rt 100. Only had to wait a couple hours. I remind my friends of that to this day. :)

Billy Autumn

Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:34 am

I will be bringing no Kanye, nor will I be swigging Hennessy cognac as I cruise the hills. The pastoral environment is more conducive to Baileys Irish Cream, anyway.

I'm good with 60's and 70's classic rock. What station do I need to tune to, since I'll have rental vehicle?

I'm thinking Traffic, Gillian Welch (absolutely), Alison Krausse, DeBussy, Aretha, Emmy Lou Harris, Norah Jones, Kate Bush and John Lee Hooker might make the cut too, just for diversity's sake.

pwt54

Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:49 am

with my XM radio i can listen to any damn thing I want. :twisted: I usually listen to Bluesville,Willie's Place (old country), 50's, and 60's. But with the playoffs coming it will be baseball.

Aspen

Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:31 pm

So..PWT will be cruising along to "Take Me Out to the Ball Game!" and if his team is at ..." One, two, three strikes you're out", he may be rolling along to John Denver's, "Take Me Home, Country Roads"
Actually, Vermont is so inspiring, let loose to your very own music singing, "America the Beautiful"
Aspen

pwt54

Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:14 pm

Now that I'm retired, I prefer "take this job and shove it" by Johnny Paycheck. :twisted:

rt100vt

Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:05 pm

I just got finished listening to "Walden" by Henry David Thoreau. (I know, it's not music) Librivox.org has free downloads for many classics that you can burn or mp3 and listen. I live near a little pond myself and I'm thinking that I should squat on the land for a couple of years as he did.

There is a lot of music there too though, available for free download. Concerts and live shows and it's all legitimate too.

I'll post some pics of Grout Pond hopefully this weekend so you can see where I will be for the next two years or so.

"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation"

How true Henry.

How true.
rt100vt