VT Auto Toll Road Info for fall: 4 Mountains

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

Andy

Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:45 am

I can see I am going to have to do the Kanc one of these years. But if just FEELS so disloyal to my beloved Vermont!!!! (How do you deal with the guilt, Carol :lol: )
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

Andy

Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:40 am

Seriously, though, Carol, if I were you, since you drive up and down several times a year, I would probably may a trek through NH (even if out of the way) at least once a year. Beautiful Scenery is Beautiful Scenery, no matter where it is (just ask Al).
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

From_the_NEK

Re: VT Auto Toll Road Info for fall: 4 Mountains

Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:42 am

ctyanky wrote:
4. Burke Mountain Toll Road

I couldn’t find any current information on the toll road for fall, but here is their website to keep an eye on. I understand the views at the top are fabulous and there is a fire tower to climb as well.

http://www.skiburke.com/
Burke's toll road is $4 per car. It is paved all the eay to the top and it is pretty steep, so make sure to shift into low gear for the decent. On the way up there are various overlooks (mostly to the north and northwest) as you criscross the ski trails. About 1/2 way up there is a pull off on the left and a small pavillion that serves as a great place to eat some lunch (stop at Bailey's & Burke in East Burke village to grab a sandwich before you head up the mtn). At the top of the mtn you will find a nice paved parking lot with nice views of Willoughby Gap. There is a short trail to the true summit (.2 miles) where you will find a fire tower that provides an impressive 360 view of Northern VT, NH, and Quebec. On a pretty good day you can see: Quebec - Owls Head,; Vermont - Jay Peak, Mt Mansfield, Mtns of Groton State Forest; NH - Cannon Mtn, Franconia Ridge, Twin Mtns, and Mt Washington (assuming there are no clouds). On a really good clear day the view includes: Mt Orford (QC), Camels Hump, Sugarbush, Mt Ascutney, and Killington (you have to be really good to pick the last two out over 80 miles away!)

Bring a jacket. Even in the summit parking lot the wind may seem rather tame. However, as you climb up the fire tower the wind will pick up above the trees.

wentworth

Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:10 am

Thanks NEK for the excellent info on the Burke Toll Rd--We will definitely hit it next weekend the 27th

ctyanky
Board Admin

Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:24 pm

NEK: Thank you for this awesome description with all the detail. I appreciate that you have stepped in and filled in the blank #4! I kind of forgot about it to tell the truth! :roll:

Gosh: I'll be in that area too. I would love to take this toll road and the fire tower for these views!

So much to do, so little time! My schedule can't breathe as it is!!! :shock:
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

From_the_NEK

Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:50 pm

Glad to share the knowledge :)

The morning will provide the best views of Vermont and the Green Mtns. The afternoon/evening yields the best White Mtn viewing so don't be afraid to begin and end the day with a trip up Burke.

Here is a pic looking across Victory Bog to NH's Presidential range from near the summit in winter. Sorry, I don't have any Fall pics of this view from the summit :oops: .

ctyanky
Board Admin

Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:11 pm

NEK: this is quite a beautiful shot! I was in Victory Bog for a couple of hours last fall looking for moose! And to see the whole basin from the summit would be exciting! Maybe I could take my binoculars up there and spot a moose foraging around in the bogs! 8)

Anyways, you've given me another adventure to look forward to. I would like to drive all the toll roads eventually. The only day I have for this would be Monday, October 5 when I am in Danville. Or..... I could stay another day up in VT..........I started out with a long weekend and now am up to a week as it is! So what's another day on the old credit card!:P

Thanks again for the photo!
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot