Oct 12~14, MD to VT,any luck for RED leaves?

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

MD2VT

Oct 12~14, MD to VT,any luck for RED leaves?

Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:20 am

Hi, I am new here.

Me and a handful of my friends are taking a foliage road trip to VT on Oct 12-14. I've been a leaf peeper in MD, VA, WV for the past a few years, but never seen a true RED scene that appeared in those movies/photos. Finding some striking RED is the absolute #1 goal for this trip.

However, according to the foliage report, I'm afraid by Oct 12-14, most areas in VT will pass the peak season already. Can any one give me some suggestions where I may find some luck in seeing REDs by then? We really cannot go to VT any earlier than that:(

In addition to some REDs, we also plan to spend half a day for a trail. We hope that we can catch some good colors in the trail, too. Any suggestions for that?

Many thanks!

pwt54

Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:20 pm

Southeast or southwest may still have some red in the lowlands. However, i saw a lot of red in the Champlain Valley last Oct 16th. This area is in western Vt, between Burlington and Brandon. Routes 30,53,73,116. and 125 for main roads were good. There are some good trials of route 53. The Falls of Lana are great.

dfpvt

Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:00 pm

Check this forum just before your trip. If most of VT is past peak, try Mass. , especially western Mass and the Berkshires. The foliage often lasts longer there and the oaks and maples can be very red along Route 2.

In Vt. the area northwest of Middlebury and into the Champlain Valley sometimes has late foliage. The lake keeps the area slightly warmer and the elevations are lower than the Green Mountains.

MD2VT

Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:18 pm

Thank you for these suggestions. I will keep an eye on this forum when it is closing to my trip time~~~~