I'll be in Vermont ready for leaves on Oct 21

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

irishes

I'll be in Vermont ready for leaves on Oct 21

Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:10 am

I just wanted to thank all who responded and gave me hope and honesty for my upcoming trip to the New England states. We are leaving early Friday morning. Should be on our first road trip Saturday morning. I've gotten lots of suggested routes so we have lots to see. Has anyone been to the Ben & Jerry's plant in Waterbury? Just wondering if it would be worth the trip. I'm guess there won't be any leaves left in that part of Vermont. On route 7 from Danby Vt and down through Kent Ct sounds like it should be a beautiful drive. Any suggestions for restaurants along the way. Or anything special we should stop and see. Thanks for all the info given to us. We are so looking forward to seeing your beautiful part of the country.
Cindy
Cindy

Michelle

Re: I'll be in Vermont ready for leaves on Oct 21

Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:59 pm

Ben & Jerry's, lots of fun, has a tour troughout the day, gift shop ( of course ). Great for kids, and great Ice Cream. Its fun in good weather, but we have received so much rain, hope your weekend is a sunny one.
There is lots of shops in the area, and up further is the Cider Mill, another great place, cider donuts, cider, lots of cute country things.

irishes

Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:52 pm

Are you familiar with Waterbury? Is there any color left at all? We will surely go to the cider mill as well.
Thanks
Cindy
Cindy

wheatridger

Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:07 pm

B&J's was boring, even for my 9 year-old daughter. Most of the work occurs within steel boxes and plumbing. Far more impressive was the Rock of Ages marble quarry in Barre, near Montpeiler. Now that's HEAVY industry at work!

Leaves are falling fast, but Vermont's 100 covered bridges are still in place. They present many photographic possibilities. The Shelbourne Museum in Burlington is worth a few hours, too.

New England's restaurants are probably wonderful if you like traditional American and seafood. Mexican, my favorite fare, was scarce. I did find three lovely old diners. The Four Aces, over the river from White River Junction, VT, was tasty and unique- it's been built into a two-story house! New Englanders have a big sweet tooth, and prize their desserts. Even the ordinary gas marts feature tasty local delicacies that I'm missing already.

Enjoy your trip. I didn't come back with the blazing bright fall foliage photos I wanted, but I delighted in the overall look and experience of the unspoiled landscape and elegant little towns. It's a great place to see, even in black and white.

Andy

Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:21 am

I know this is late. In the event you have a chance to log on before you start tomorrow a.m., my two cents: I wouldn't expect much color in Waterbury or Stowe by this weekend. When I was there (several times between Oct 7 and 15) it was near or past "peak." Because of the "uneven" (to steal PWT's term)timing of the foliage this year, there may be some late color, but it will be mostly muted. Vermont is a good place to go almost any time for views and villages and -- in the Waterbury/Stowe area, lots of shops, etc.

Not sure I would make the trip solely for B&J's deal. You can buy the ice cream anywhere :D

If you are concentrating on color, in the areas suggested to you, try Middlbury for a "cool" town that is ALL Vermont and much less "touristy" than Stowe.

Also, if you drive through Manchester, and are the "outdoorsy" types, the great house of worship for that (Orvis) is headquartered there. Might want to stop there. Just up the road/hill is the famed Equinox Resort. Pretty impressive.
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

pwt54

Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:48 pm

No color in Waterbury. Some color left from Vergennes south to Brandon. Oh my God ! Just looked out the window in the rest area and it's SNOWING !!!

seger

Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:10 am

Snow in the higher elevations of Derby and Holland as well. Will post pic in the gallery.