Killington this weekend

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

Hollie

Killington this weekend

Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:00 pm

I am not sure what to make out of the foliage for this coming weekend (10/13). My husband and I will be driving from NY to Killington. Will most of the leaves be gone?

Also, just wondering if anyone can suggest some fun things to do. We're definitely eating dinner at Hemmingway's and will visit Quechee Gorge and hopefully have dinner at Simon Pearce Restaurant. We're going back to Sugarbush Farm. Anything we're missing? It's been a few years since we've been. Also, should we drive from NYC through Al :) bany to Troy into Vermont or is there a more senic way where we'll see more color. :)

Thanks in advance!!!

pwt54

Re: Killington this weekend

Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:27 am

I was over there last Sunday. It looks like route 100 will be past peak but the areas southeast and south west of killington will be good. Read my "Phil's Phrantic Pholiage Tour" for some ideas.

margym

Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:14 pm

I am in Killington now- Colors in the immediate Killington area are still changing and nice.
Route 4 east of Killngton to Bridgewater has some very nice color with bright reds/oranges- traveling west (back to Killgton today) was very nice in the late afternoon.

Route 100A and 100 SOUTH of Killington offer some nice color, especially along the lakes. There is some really great color in the 100A/route 4 region and then along the lakes between route 4 and Ludlow.

Route 103 between Chester and Ludlow had some nice color as did route 11 between (near Bromley Mountain).

The areas near Manchester are still turning.

Ludlow and Okemo also have some very decent color.

Hollie

Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:00 pm

Thanks for the replies. We'll be happy as long as we get to see some good color.

Hollie

Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:21 pm

Oh, I also wanted to ask about these drives. PWT, you suggested these to me a long time ago. Are they still good drives to do? Can anyone suggest any other drives we should take? Thanks!

US 4 west to route 149 WEST at the traffic light in Fort ANN. Take route 149 west to the end and turn right onto route US 9 north. Go to route 28 in Warrensburg. Now you have a choice that depends on how much time you have. SHORT ROUTE; take route 28 to route 8 in Weavertown and turn left. Take route 8 southwesterly to route 12 south into Utica and I-90 west to Buffalo. Medium route. Take route 28 to route 30 south at Indian Lake. Take route 30 south to route 30 in Speculator and turn right on route 8 and to Utica. Long route; Route 28 all the way to route 12 south at Alder Creek and Utica.

Hollie

Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:49 pm

One more question. I found these directions suggested by dfpvt.

87 north to Route 29 at Saratoga Springs (exit 15, follow signs to 29 East).
East (right) on 29 to Route 22 north.
North (left) on 22 to Salem, NY.
East on 153 at Salem to E.Rupert, VT.
North(left) on Route 30 at E.Rupert.
Right on Route 133 in center of Pawlet, VT.
Follow 133 to Route 4 and into Rutland
or follow 140 from Middletown Sprgs to Route 7 at Wallingford and turn north on Route 7 to Rutland.

Should we follow these or take I-87 to exit 7 to route VT 9 east through Bennington to Wilmington. In Wilmington Village, pick up route 100 north to route US 4 in Bridgewater. Turn left and Take route US 4 east to Killington.

We have plenty of time to travel on Friday.

Thanks again for all your help!

pwt54

Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:38 am

I was in the Rupert amd Middletown Springs area last Sunday and it look a little early. Should be good this weekend. The Warrensburg area is in the same latitude so the colors should be the same. As far as coming into Vermont, I liked the colors closer to Rutland than down in Manchester last Sunday. Read my"Phil's Phrantic Pholiage Tour" psot for an idea of how the foliage is coming along down there.

Hollie

Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:36 pm

Thanks for your replies, everyone. I am so excited that my trip is finally here! I will be sure to post all about it upon my return. :D