Honest Assessment So Far

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

mrzip

Honest Assessment So Far

Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:48 am

I hope to travel from San Francisco to New England to photograph the fall foliage. I have flexibility to travel later this week, early next week, or toward the latter half of next week. I can go wherever the color is best at the time of my visit.

Reports of "muted" colors trouble me, whereas reports of "brilliant" or "spectacular" color excite me.

For those who have actually seen the color in peak areas this year, would you characterize this year as typical, or is it better or worse than normal?

Also, based on the color that you have seen in peak areas, would you say to come now, or would you roll the dice and wait perhaps a week for peak color in areas farther south? I am asking not so much for predictions but rather for you to evaluate how satisfying the current peak foliage is. That is, if it was great, you probably would say to come now. If it left something to be desired, you probably would say to take a chance and visit next week.

Thank you for all your time and help on this forum!

GIC

Re: Honest Assessment So Far

Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:59 am

I agree with bm.
If you can visit now, catch the next flight out. Seems from your post you are flexible for travel. Keep in mind that Columbus Day weekend is upon us, which means this coming Monday the 9th is a holiday. There will be scores of foliage seekers on the roads. If I where you, check the extend weather forecast of the region where your going to visit first. Base your travel from the weather report. I would hate to fly all the way from San Fran to endure rainy conditions. I would fly “San Francisco, CA (SFO) to Manchester, NH (MHT)”. MHT is a small airport and fast to exit out of. From Manchester you can take HWY 93 North straight up to the NE Kingdom. As well you will travel right thru the heart of New Hampshire which is displaying excellent colors right now. Second option if your just intrested in Vermont then take Hwy 93 North to either Hwy 91 North (Straight up to the NE Kingdom) or Hwy 89 to North Central Vermont.
Compared to last year, foliage is far better in Vermont this year. I would say the foliage in general is on average, which translates to great.

pwt54

Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:28 am

I took my annual foliage tour with my mother, aunt and brother yesterday. We were planning on doing the northeast kingdom but the weather report suggested going south west, so I did. Good decision !! We did route 100 south through Stowe and down to route 17 west. Then we did route 17 west to (gulp) New York. The foliage down route 100 and on route 17 up and over to route 116 was fantastic. From route 116 west to "that other state" was early with some bright spots mixed in. (From my pass experience route 100 should be good down to route US 4.) Stopped at Dead Creek to check for snow geese but there was only a small flock. Stopped at the Bridge Restuarant for lunch. This is a great place to eat, if you can get in! It's a small blue build right at the jct of route 125 just before the bridge to New York. We went to Crown Point NY and then to Ironville and around to route 74 west. We went up to route 73 throught the High Peaks area. The area was loaded with leafpeepers, hikers, and gawkers (including us). We continued using the main roads (with a side trip to show my mother and aunt a stone root cellar my brother and I stumbled across this summer) to get to the Grand Isle Ferry and home. The foliage was fantastic there also. I hope you folks get some ideas from this post. The one word that pops to mind about the foliage this year is uneven. Some places that should be turning haven't and some places that have turned should be turning this early. The places that have turn are showing great color and it looks to be a good year for color.

mrzip

Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:50 pm

Thank you, everybody! It sounds like you are having a typical great year. The weather forecast suggests mostly sunny weather on Thursday and Friday, October 5 and 6, which would be my main days for photography, so I am inching closer to a flight to Manchester on Wednesday.

Is anyone aware of whether the Northeast Kingdom is actually past peak now, or might the Northeast Kingdom still be worth a visit?

Michelle

Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:42 pm

See my report

kindombiker

Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:00 pm

Hi,

I was up there last weekend and the colors were in there early stages at most of the lower elevations with a few spots showing close to peak color. I biked the kindom trails on Saturday and there were some bright yellows in certain areas but most of the stuff around Darling hill road was a mix or oranges and reds with some green mixed in. I also spent some time around the lake willoughby lake area and it was mixed as well with bright yellows mixed in with oranges, reds and greens. I hiked up to the top of Mt. Pisgah and most of the trees up there where at or past peak so I expect the trees closer to the ground are at or nearing peak now, at least I hope so since I'll be making the trek up again this weekend :-)

Ed

ixl

Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:04 pm

Altitude matters more than latitude in terms of foliage stage. Many people are surprised when I tell them that peak along route 9 in far southern Vermont is usually the last week of September.. but it is.
Charles Kozierok - DesktopScenes.com

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

Bellavance

Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:36 am

How is the Lincoln Gap from Warren to Bristol, compared to route 17 ?

Thanks.

Pierre

pwt54

Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:54 am

I was on route 17 on Monday. The foliage was at peak then. It may be past by this weekend and the wind we got last night will not help. Lincoln Gap is a little more protected with the heavier tree cover so it might be better. This road has a couple of dirt section and is very steep. Both roads will test your brakes.