Last weekend in September

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

Kj

Last weekend in September

Tue Sep 03, 2002 11:59 am

Can anyone estimate if the last weekend in September might offer good foliage in South Central Vermont. We are planning on staying in Plymouth and going north for Saturday and south on Sunday. Any tips on routes would be greatly appreciated as well, thank you!

dkramer

Re: Last weekend in September

Tue Sep 03, 2002 1:33 pm

Last week in September will likely provide some good early color in higher elevations of Southern Vermont. For really good color, though, trek northbound. It depends on the year a bit, but a good bet would be to head to the Northeast Kingdom during that time period. They should be approaching peak at that point. Check out Lake Willoughby, Island Pond, even way up to the Canadian border via Rte. 114. Near peak conditions will likely abound up there. You might find midstage color in the Mad River Valley (Rte. 100 Waitsfield/Warren) and maybe in the Granville Gulf (a bit further south on Rte. 100). All told, though, head Northeast, I think. Have a great time!<P>Daniel

pwt54

Tue Sep 03, 2002 2:52 pm

Good suggestions. Only thing I would add is to take Rt. 100 all the way to Rt. 58 in Lowell and turn right and take Rt.58 east to Rt 5a and turn right to get to Lake Willoughby.

MamaB

Mon Sep 16, 2002 7:08 am

Another quick drive right north of Plymouth is to take the CC road through Shrewsbury. Beautiful views of Killington area and some nice rustic roads.<BR>Where in Plymouth are you staying? We are going to be at a lodge just off of 100. It is our 3rd foliage season there.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kj:<BR><B>Can anyone estimate if the last weekend in September might offer good foliage in South Central Vermont. We are planning on staying in Plymouth and going north for Saturday and south on Sunday. Any tips on routes would be greatly appreciated as well, thank you!</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>

Kingatic

Fri Sep 20, 2002 2:24 pm

I have a place in Bridgewater Cornors, I'm also gonna be up there the last weekend of the month. It will be my first trip up for the foliage. My wifes first in 10 years. Cant wait! Monte Kirby
M. Kirby