TRAVELING TO STOWE 1st and 2nd wk of OCT

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

Dawood Allan

TRAVELING TO STOWE 1st and 2nd wk of OCT

Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:02 pm

Hi. I need help. I am traveling to Stowe in Oct, but i am confused as to when I should go. the last two yrs i have gone the 2nd wknd of oct, but last year was horrible, very little color and alot of rain. the first year i went the same time and it was great. I am confused as to whether i should change it to the first wknd of oct, the 6-9 or leave it as the 13-16, can somoene help me? i also would like to know of some routes for some colorful drives. Thanks

pwt54

Re: TRAVELING TO STOWE 1st and 2nd wk of OCT

Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:55 pm

Last year was a bad year all over. I like Oct. 6 - 9 better for Stowe. But that's Columbus Day weekend and it will be real busy and rooms will be hard to find. Color will be pre - peak on the first weekend but peak north and east of Stowe.
That would be my second choice. Color will be past peak on Oct 13 in Stowe. Best color on that weekend would be near Killington.

Fitch Hill Inn

Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:43 am

We are located just north of Stowe (12 miles), and the peak does come around Columbus Day weekend. We watch the foliage trackers to see where the color is good and advise our guests which way to go when we are before and after the peak locally. We have driving tours for our guests so they have a starting point for their day trips.
Julie & John Rohleder, Innkeepers
Fitch Hill Inn
258 Fitch Hill Road
Hyde Park, VT 05655
802-888-3834, 800-639-2903
Fax 802-888-7789
email: Innkeeper@FitchHillinn.com

Beth

Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:40 am

October 6-9 in the Stowe area will be exciting...
Not only will the foliage be peak, but many events and activities occur during Columbus Day weekend.

From Route 100 north, take Moscow road and follow signs to the Trapp Family Lodge. Once at the lodge parking lot, walk the grounds, hike some of the xc ski trails, get into the woods which will be aglow. On a clear day there are beautiful views.

From there head back to Rt. 108 north and continue past the many, many shops and restaurants of the Stowe area. Continue to the Stowe Toll Road. On a picture perfect day, this is one of my favorite viewing points in the state.
Take the toll road to the almost the summit. Park and hike to the summit. There are blazed trails and you it's worth taking the time and seeing the 360 degree view. Allow atleast 4 hours for this journey. It's not be to rushed.

Once down off mountain and back on Rt. 108 continue north through the Smuggler's Notch/Mt. Mansfield gap. This is an awesome for about 1 mile 15 mile an hour only (you will see why) gap to cross. Park at the top and do some exploring. There are hiking trails and the long trail passes through here. If not, continue down the backside of Stowe/Mt. Mansfield past Smuggler's Notch ski resort and down into the Valley of Jeffersonville.

You will see amazing foliage along this route.

Continue back on Route 15 east and take Stage Coach Road back to Rt. 100.

Nice day loop!

Hope this helps.

From downtown Stowe (Junction Rt. 100/108). Head north on Rt. 108. There are many shops, restaurants and things to see along the way.
There is an excellent 5 mile paved bike path if you wish to venture out of the car.
Continue on

Beth

Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:46 am

part 2

If you are coming from New Jersey and looking for a colorful drive, travel up during the day leaving early and get off the highway!

Take Exit 23 off the Thruway and head towards Vermont - Take Rt. 7 over to Bennington then Rt. 9 over to Wilmington. From there, take Rt. 100 all the way up to Stowe. That ride alone will be extremely colorful guaranteed!

Rt. 100 is my absolute favorite scenic drive as I've mentioned before in previous posts~ it's the backbone of Vermont!

Andy

Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:38 am

Hey, Backroad Explorer. I used to live about 10 miles N of Jeffersonville, went to school in Randolph and in Burlington, and had a girlfriend in Jeffersonville, so I knew that area pretty well in the old days.

I'll be staying at the farm I used to live at between Oct 7 and 15th. Where is the Stagecoach Road? I looked on my DeLorme Street Atlas and wasn't successul at identifying it.

Thanks,
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

Beth

Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:33 pm

Andy,

Actually Stagecoach road is in Stowe off Rt. 100 north.
From Rt. 15 East you would take Church to Main to Depot and it changes at the town line to Stagecoach back to Rt. 100 Soutn.

Usually I take it from Rt. 100 north to 15 then cut back over to 100 North. My mistake on directions southbound.

Its a great short cut road and you eliminate all the Rt. 100 traffic in Morrisville. Very pretty are with farmlands and exclusive properties.

Of, course, there are lots more backroads to explore as you know. I, in particular, try to take many of them to avoid the traffic in the Stowe area especially during leef peeping time.

sinclair

Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:41 pm

Stagecoach Road is just north of Stowe off 100.
If in the Stowe area, don't forget Smuggler's Notch for color and if you are over towards Jeffersonville, take Pleasant Valley road towards Underhill Center.
Sinclair Inn Bed and Breakfast
389 Route 15
Jericho, VT (near Underhill Flats)
www.sinclairinnbb.com
1 800 433 4658

Andy

Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:52 pm

Thanks Backroad. I'll try it. Sinclair -- been there done that many times. I used to go to school at UVM and drive back and forth between Cambridge and Burlington on the Pleasant Valley Road. The notch -- many, many times.
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .