Trip with toddler in October

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

Susan2004

Trip with toddler in October

Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:01 am

I am planning a trip to Vermont in October with my husband and daughter (who will be 18 mo. old by then). We are trying to choose a cottage rental and I am wondering if anyone has an opinion on which area will have the best foliage. Our options for the trip are October 8th – 11th or 12th – 15th.

The different possibilities of where to stay are in: Barnet (Harvey’s Lake), Brookfield, Chelsea, Craftsbury, Jeffersonville, Peacham (Peacham’s Pond), or Westmore (Lake Willoughby). I know it’s a small state, but we’d prefer to keep the driving to a minimum considering naptime time, carseat issues, etc., so staying somewhere that is in peak at that time is a preference.

Also, any suggestions for activities for an 18 month old?!

admin
Site Admin

Re: Trip with toddler in October

Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:20 am

Hello Susan:
Seems to me that you are concentrating on the more northern part of central Vermont. I think you should be looking much further south if you intend to come in mid October. Keep checking. I am sure others will have some helpful suggestions!

pwt54

Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:09 pm

I agree. Go with Chelsea. There some good rides around there. Check out Grafton and the cheese factory just south of Chelsea.

Susan2004

Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:25 pm

Good to know! The foliage "calculator" I saw showed that it should be peak in the northern areas during the time we were coming, so this information is much appreciated. I just emailed the people in Chelsea for more information.

Anything specific about/in Grafton?

Thanks!

Also, pwt, could you help me out? Two years ago you gave me some great tips and I'm hoping that one of the restaurant tips came from you.

We went to a little restaurant in Shelburne...I think. It was small, unassuming, and had the best fried clams I'd ever had. They also had a nice pie selection and the maple almond pie my husband ordered has haunted us ever since. But unfortunately niether of us can remember the name. Help?!!

pwt54

Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:01 pm

That sounds like Gillian's but I haven't been there in a couple of years. You will be at the northern edge of peak foliage in Chelsea. You should wander around south of Chelsea for good color. Grafton is a quaint somewhat "touristy" village with some nice rides and a cheese factory with some great cheese. South of Chelsea there is a great round barn on a side road off route 110. Look for the Whitney Hill Road about 1 mile south of North Tunbridge. If you drive past the round barn you will come to a 1 room schoolhouse. Finish the Whitney Hill Rd. to the end and turn right. This will take you back to route 110 just north of North Tunbridge. There are 6 Covered Bridges south of Chelsea. The first is the Moxley bridge on the Moxley Bridge Road. This road is on the left side of route 110 about 3 miles south of Chelsea. Drive through the bridge and park to check out the bridge. Continue on this road until you see the next bridge. Park on this side of the bridge. After you check out the bridge, drive through the bridge to get to route 110 and then turn left. The next bridge is the Larkin Bridge on the Larkin Road. You should see it on the left from route 110. The next bridge is on Mill Street at the north end of Tunbridge Village. The next bridge is on Howe Lane about 1 mile south of Tunbridge Village on the right side of Route 110. You should be able to see the bridge from route 110. The last bridge is right next to route 110 so you can't miss it. Now, just before you come to the before mentioned Moxley Bridge Road you will see the Randolph Road on the right. You can drive this to route 14 in East Randolph. When you come to route 14 turn right and drive up to East Brookfield and take route 65 to Brookfield and it's floating bridge. The Woodstock/Quechee area is a good place to visit. Take route 110 south to route 14 and turn left. Drive to Sharon and pick up I-89 south there. Drive I-89 south to exit 1. At the end of the ramp turn left and drive route US 4 w3est to Quechee and check out the gorge. Continue route US 4 west and look for the VINS Raptor Center on the right side. They have all kinds of birds of prey there. Continue to Woodstock. In the Village turn right onto route 12 north to the Billings Farm Museum. It has a museum of 1890's farming and cows. Hope this helps.

Susan2004

Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:09 pm

Yes! It was Gillian's! Oh no. :( It was Gillian's! I'm so sad it's a different owner with a different menu. That might have been the best piece of pie we've ever had. Or darn close to it.

Thanks again for all of the other information!

Susan2004

Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:13 pm

So another question...what if we went further South...more like Bennington or Manchester? I guess I am asking...exactly where will peak color be that week. (Your best guess obviously.)

pwt54

Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:16 pm

Susan, I think you will be okay in Chelsea. Peak foliage is not an exact science. It could different this year by a few days. Chelsea would put you only a short distance from peak color. You can drive to the northeast or down to Bennington in about 1 1/2 hours. The time period you mentioned is around Columbus Day, our busiest time. Rooms will be very hard to find. Make your reservation soon.

Beth

Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:30 am

All of the above if helpful.

My suggestion would be if you only plan to stay one place and do day trips, stay in the heart of Vermont ~ Killington area.

This way you can venture north, south, east or west depending on the activity or attraction you wish to visit. Go where you and your husband would like. An 18 month old will not remember and it will be colder outside and plan to bundle toddler up. Bring hat, gloves and warm clothes. It gets cool in the mountains that time of year.

Go on the Vermont vacations website and there are lots of options to choose. Some resorts have babysitter services if you wish to spend some time alone.

If you are an outdoor adventurer, yes bring a backpack and put precious in and do some hiking.
Take the toll road to the top of Stowe and see a 360 degree view or hike part of the long trail.

If you plan to do some bike riding with a baby seat, there are some rail trails and off the beaten path roads is a nice way to see fall foliage getting out of the car.

If you are not into outside activities or weather is not cooperating. Bring a stroller and just explore the many towns and villages.

I would stay with the Oct. 8-11 dates as I agree with the Vt Innkeeper. Peak is early October in the north/central part. However, the downside is, yes book your reservations early. Nice family place is the Birch Ridge Inn, 37 Butler Road, in Killington,
or a romantic place is Green Mountain Inn in Stowe.

Hope this helps.

<small>[ 09-06-2006, 10:48 AM: Message edited by: pbpub ]</small>

pwt54

Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:15 am

Backroad explorer's tips are good for anyone coming to Vt. at that time of year. I did notice that Susan mentioned she was looking for a cottage. I know about the one in Chelsea and it's a good one and in the right area. If she has her heart set on a cottage, that is the one I'd pick, with Brookfield second and Harvey's Lake third.

Susan2004

Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:41 pm

Thanks again for all of the information.

We're still waffling between the first and second weeks of October. It's difficult trying to carve the time out because my husband is self-employed.

If we go the 9th - 12th we're staying in Ludlow (as long as the house is still available by the time we are able to reserve).

If we go the 3rd - 6th it's still up in the air as to where.

I guess the types of things I'm still wondering about as far as activities for our daughter would be something like a petting zoo or child-friendly farm, corn maze, etc. - I know the farm idea was given, but I don't think any specific recommendations as to where you would suggest. I've also tucked away all of the other ideas given so far. Thanks so much everyone!

4sneau

Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:00 am

Try: http://www.vermont.com/farms.asp

I think that Backroad Explorer hit the nail on the head...your daughter is so young that, although she may enjoy seeing a few cows and lambs, she'll be just as happy to spend some time at a park with you. There are many opportunities to chase a ball on a green, or swing in a swing in the shade of a lovely Maple tree somewhere.

The Rail Trails were mentioned. These are wonderful walking/bike trails, utilizing the roadbeds of defunct trainlines, that are wheelchair (and stroller)accessible. They are (car)traffic free, and are relatively flat, as the trains did not climb steep grades. They take you through forests, over rivers, by lakes, and through villages. There is quite a network of these trails throughout New England. A stroll along one of these would be a wonderful unstructured activity that your entire family could enjoy.

4sneau

Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:27 am

Sorry for monopolizing this thread. Here's another link. There are a number of "farm" sights out there.
http://www.gatewaytovermont.com/

pwt54

Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:19 am

There is a B&B in Rochester,Vt called Liberty Hill Farm that is a working farm. This is on route 100 and Oct 6 would be a great time to stay there. Oct. 9 - 12 in Ludlow is a good choice also. Those websites that 4sneau are worth exploring.