Where in Vermont is this fall?

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

Bellavance

Where in Vermont is this fall?

Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:53 pm

This is a picture I've made last year in vermont. It is somewhere near (or on) route 100, National Forest Road 101, and Warren, as per other photographs I've made the same day. Does anyone know exactly where I can find it again?

Thanks

Pierre

Click here to see picture.

Bellavance

Re: Where in Vermont is this fall?

Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:06 pm

If this can help, this fall was just by the roadside, and there was a small trail leading to a wooden platform, from we could also see it, if I remember well.

Thanks

Pierre

ixl

Sat Oct 29, 2005 5:47 am

The picture itself could have been taken nearly anywhere... but from your description it sounds like the Moss Glen Falls on route 100 in Granville (there's another one by the same name near Stowe.) --c
Charles Kozierok - DesktopScenes.com

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

pwt54

Sat Oct 29, 2005 6:58 am

NFH 101 starts off the West Hill Road/NFH 55 in Granville,VT. The West Hill RD. starts behind the Blue Moose Bend craft center in Granville. I don't remember a wooden platform on either road, however. Moss Glen Falls is about 3 miles north of the West Hill Road on route 100. But looking at your photo, I don't believe that it was taken near Moss Glen Falls. The streams along the West Hill Rd. and NFH 101 are more likely to produce that kind of water fall. So go up there and look around, just don't trample the blackberry bushes!

Bellavance

Sat Oct 29, 2005 7:55 am

Thanks for your help. Does this other picture help locate it? This could be seen from the roadside.

Pierre

Click here for a picture of the whole fall.

Aspen

Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:02 am

From you description of the area, Route 100 and walking to a platform, agree with Charles, sounds like Moss Glenn Falls off of Route 100. I think these beautiful falls vary in sight from how much water is rushing down the rocks, light and background colors. When we stopped there recently, saw two different areas with water falls. As you go up the steps from the road, there was a small water fall trickling down...you had to look closely. Walking over to the platform was the larger falls rushing with water. Also had sign posted at platform describing dangers of climbing on rocks and listed names of those who lost their lives if you recall that when you took your pictures, that would be Moss Glenn Falls. Like Charles said, there's another Moss Glenn Falls in Stowe but you have to hike a trail and climb rocks to get to it. Your pictures are beautiful!

Bellavance

Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:47 am

Thank you very much. I'll print this info and mark this spot on my map, and make sure we go there next spring.

Thank you also for your comments about the pictures.

Pierre

Aspen

Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:49 am

Pierre, checked out your photo gallery. You captured some awesome pictures of some of America's beautiful wonders. We visited several of the areas you photographed several years ago. We walked down to the canyon floor of Canyon de Chelly to the White House. Indians were down there herding sheep. Our visit was in April. Arrived at Monument Valley to an unexpected "white out" Fortunately, next day by mid-morning, snow melted and we took a self guided driving tour of Monument Valley. Your pictures of "the Mittens" are really nice. Yosemite National Park is a photographer's paradise! (Make a note of that, too ixl! Know you are into photography!) We are so fortunate to have America the Beautiful!

ixl

Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:33 am

Thanks for your help. Does this other picture help locate it? This could be seen from the roadside.

Yes, that is Moss Glen Falls in Granville. --c
Charles Kozierok - DesktopScenes.com

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

Bellavance

Sat Oct 29, 2005 1:57 pm

Thanks, This Forum is very useful.

We've liked so much our trip to Arizona and Utah, that we're already planning a second trip... We'll also visit Mesa Verde this time, going back to Canyon de Chelly, Arches and Monument Valley.

Pierre

Aspen

Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:59 pm

Indeed this is an outstanding forum! Alot of the locals in Vermont are so helpful with information related to Vermont.
Pierre, do you remember the comet, Hal Bop passing across the sky several years ago? We happened to be driving in Arizona one evening and it was pitch black except for our carlights. We pulled over and turned off the carlights. Hal Bop's tail was huge and beamed brightly across the Arizona sky...something you may see once in a lifetime! Hal Bop could be seen in many places across America for awhile but often town lights would wash out the vivid sight of it which we saw in Arizona. "The White House" on the canyon floor of Canyon de Chelly is an ancient Indian dwelling in the cliffs. There is a nice trail that spirals down to the canyon floor. You can walk right up to the dwelling to take closeup photographs. Perhaps you already had that opportunity. Good luck with all your travel plans and photography!

Bellavance

Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:07 am

You were very lucky to see the comet.

Like I've said, I'll eventually be back to Canyon de Chelly, where I've seen the ruins at the bottom, but only from above. Next time, I won't be in a photo workshop, so I'll be able to go to the bottom.

Pierre

Aspen

Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:37 pm

Pierre, I can confirm 100% the picture of the falls you took is Moss Glen Falls along Route 100 nearby Granville, Vt! Browsing through our pictures, today, found an identical picture of Moss Glen Falls like yours which my husband took this month. It has the same tree limb laying on the edge of the falls as yours which really confirms your picture and our picture to be of Moss Glen Falls. The top of the falls look the same. Flows of water down the falls are in similar directions and fall into a similar pool of water. Our picture is not a digital picture. Your other pix may be of the water flowing farther down over rocks in that creek along the road that flows from the pool of water. Was thrilled when I found the pictures to be almost identical! :)

Bellavance

Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:43 pm

Hi,

I'm very happy to be certain, and I've noted it on my topo map. I'm thinking of going back there next spring when there will be a stronger water flow.

I guess Vermont should also be pretty in the spring, when the green colors start coming out.

Thanks for your help.

Pierre

dkramer

Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:29 am

This is certainly true, but if you think the peak of fall is somewhat unpredictable, the few days surrounding leaf-out in the spring are even harder to nail down in advance. However, if you can day trip (or go on short notice), you are probably fine. That being said, if you are looking for just a faster flow on a waterfall, you certainly have a significantly larger window of time due to spring runoff.

Daniel