Color Popping in NH

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

MinnieB

Color Popping in NH

Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:21 pm

In Lebanon we are still pretty green, but geez like in the last day or two Enfield and points south have gone gangbusters. I drove down Rt. 89 to go to Newport this afternoon and the color on Rt. 89 was stunning. Perhaps the brightest I've ever seen. I think the sun was hitting it just right yet diffused enough so the light wasn't harsh. I actually got goosebumps. And me without my camera. Sigh. I never expected it would be that much different just south of Leb. Sunapee was very colorful, too, just gorgeous. I hiked to Smith Pond a few days ago and there was a little color, but not all that much. Boy, sure changed quickly. Maybe due to the bad drought. Sunapee isn't that far from the VT border, so draw a line across and the foliage may be good on the other side of the river. I might have to check out Ascutney and see if there is any progress there.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: Color Popping in NH

Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:41 am

Great report Minnie! If you are going to Ascutney, hike to the fire tower! The views up there are awesome and the hike is energizing! The tower is one of the tallest I have been on in Vermont, and it was a bit intimidating at the top with all the wind that day. Okemo fire tower was the tallest and most narrow so far. Totally worth the effort. Looking forward to your reports as always! CT

MinnieB

Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:43 am

I hiked Ascutney 3 weeks ago and did the fire tower, it was quite a view. There is also a great view from the hang glider platform that we went to after the tower. A friend sent me a photo of Ascutney last night. It still looks pretty green. I had back surgery 2 weeks ago, so hiking to the fire tower is out for me. I spent most of yesterday in Sunapee, New London and Enfield in NH. Not sure where I'll end up today. I'm pretty wiped out after yesterday. I'm already getting a late start.

MinnieB

Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:43 am

I hiked Ascutney 3 weeks ago and did the fire tower, it was quite a view. There is also a great view from the hang glider platform that we went to after the tower. A friend sent me a photo of Ascutney last night. It still looks pretty green. I had back surgery 2 weeks ago, so hiking to the fire tower is out for me. I spent most of yesterday in Sunapee, New London and Enfield in NH. Not sure where I'll end up today. I'm pretty wiped out after yesterday. I'm already getting a late start.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:06 am

Hi Minnie, sorry to hear of your back surgery. Hope you are on the mend to 100% soon! Yes, the hang glider view was great! We stayed there for awhile admiring the valley below. Perfection! You were probably on the same trail. The trail to the hang glider view was difficult for me (see link below, all the rocks!), I found the descent very tiring!

If anyone is interested in hiking Ascutney, it is a must do with tremendous views. Here is my post from my trip!

http://www.scenesofvermont.com/phpbb2/v ... f=1&t=3987

CT🍁🍁🍁