Foliage color in the NEK

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

admin
Site Admin

Foliage color in the NEK

Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:39 am

Foliage color appears on a country road near Morgan on September 19th
Morgan_road.jpeg

MinnieB

Re: Foliage color in the NEK

Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:25 pm

I drove from Norwich, VT up to Bradford, VT today going up Rt. 91. I saw some decent color between Thetford and Bradford. Maybe 10 - 20% turned in spots higher on the hills/mountains. Super bright colors, reds and oranges, a few yellows. Quite nice color behind the Hannaford's in Bradford. I would expect NEK will have some nice color by the end of the month.

I live in Lebanon, NH and we have the reverse here. Trees at street level are turning and the hills are still green. I've noticed that a few trees in town that are usually the last to turn have turned first and are already completely turned they are red ones, don't know what kind of trees, I'm afraid. I imagine it is due to the bad drought we've been having. Northern NH has been getting a bit more rain the rest of the state. In Lebanon, the colors are bright, too, but not lasting long. We've been cooler than normal the last couple of weeks, so perhaps that accounts for what I am seeing.

admin
Site Admin

Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:49 pm

Thanks for your post. Yes, the color seems to be coming on fast and I agree its probably because of the drought we've had. I was in Island Pond this afternoon and went to check my usual spots for color. This one shows how the color is heading towards peak!!
islandpond.jpg

MinnieB

Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:15 pm

Wow, that is pretty far along already. The reds and oranges really have sprinted ahead this year. I might not make up to NEK in time this year.

admin
Site Admin

Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:23 pm

Yes, the color is about a week ahead of what it showed last year. Peak was around the end of the month in the NEK last year, but I think it will be sooner this year.

admin
Site Admin

Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:24 pm

Yes, the color is about a week ahead of what it showed last year. Peak was around the end of the month in the NEK last year, but I think it will be sooner this year.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:45 pm

Some are saying a week to 10 days early. I just saw a picture of route 302 in Groton and it is nearing peak conditions.

The combination of the drought situation, endless, warm sunshiny days and very cool nights have come together for an acceleration of the fall colors (at least that's what my pals in the tree business are saying.....). We are having lots of windy conditions in northern CT the past two days and I hope it stops soon! :? CT

admin
Site Admin

Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:33 pm

Foliage color in the NEK is near peak! I was on the bike path in Newport late this afternoon and saw these swamp maples "on fire" as they say. BTW, the cell tower
swamp maples.jpg
you see on the hill in the distance is in Canada.
While there, I saw this eagle? Can anyone identify it?
eagle.jpg

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:06 pm

Geezum crow? :mrgreen:
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

MinnieB

Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:04 pm

I was in NEK today. I didn't go quite all the way to Newport. I was in Lyndonville, Burke, Charleston and Westmore. I found the color to be spotty. There was some good color along 114 in spots. I tried to go up the scenic road for Burke Mountain, but it was closed. They were doing some kind of work up there. I went to Pensioner Pond and it had some color, but still had a ways to go. Maybe 40 - 50% turned. Then I went to May Pond, not much to shoot. About 30 - 40% turned. There was some good color in spots for Lake Willoughby, still a lot of green, though. During traveling to those places I noticed in some spots, the reds and oranges have already gone russet color. So those must have turned really early or faded fast. Darling Hill Road, didn't have much. I only went up as far as that Inn on the left with the bike shop. There was some color in the distance behind it. Best view was from that chapel on the road.

Then I went to Littleton, NH and there was some decent color there. After that it was to St. Johnsbury and that was the pay dirt. Gorgeous! Bright color, I would say about 80% turned. I went to Dog Mountain and great views and color there. Downtown was colorful, too. I had to head home after that. I wish I had spent more of my day there. Apart from that the best color was still on Rt. 91 between Bradford and exit 23 for Lyndonville. Bright and beautiful.

From_the_NEK

Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:51 pm

Lyndonville area is hitting peak. I'll get some photos up when I get a chance.

From_the_NEK

Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:51 pm

Lyndonville area is hitting peak. I'll get some photos up when I get a chance.

admin
Site Admin

Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:09 am

A typical Vermont scene: "Cows in Pasture ..".this one in Holland with peak color! Saturday, Sept 26th
cows in holland.jpg

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:35 pm

Love this shot Tim! Udderly Vermont!🐄🐄🐄

And those leaves!!!!!!🍁🍁🍁

Keep those pics coming! They are brilliant!

CT

admin
Site Admin

Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:37 am

It's a cloudy day in the NEK...the color is still at peak and there has not been heavy rain yet or much leaf drop. I headed out to a great water fall spot at Coventry, just south of Newport. Despite the drought, the Coventry Falls are still working!
coventry_falls.jpg
See this in full screen and other images from the past few days https://www.foliage-vermont.com/foliage2020/index.html