Newbie in search of Vermont foliage view

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

mmac

Newbie in search of Vermont foliage view

Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:00 am

Hi Everyone,

I promised my wife to go see Fall foliage on the East coast for a long time but never was able to take time off work to do it.
Luckily :-) both of us was layoff last month and want to take time to fulfill this long time dream so we are off to Vermont in a month time to celebrate our 26th anniversary. :)

We are flying into Boston the morning of 10/3 and flying home the afternoon of 10/8.

Based on the forecast map only the upper right corner and a strip down the middle of the state have peak foliage so I am planning to drive straight up to the east corner on my first day then come down the state slowly the next few days in time to go home.
In my search I found your Foliage forum very informative and full of friendly and willing to share folks so joined in hoping to get some wonderful pointers to make this trip more memorable.

Thanks in advance for all your advice and pointers.

best,
minh

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: Newbie in search of Vermont foliage view

Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:21 am

Hi Minh! Welcome to the foliage forum! You picked a great time to visit Vermont and Happy Anniversary! You are certainly headed in the right direction, Northeast Kingdom (aka NEK). Sometimes those maps are based on historical averages and as of now, we can't fully predict where to find "peak" foliage, but generally speaking, you've chosen a fine set of days to tool about the state. A perfect time to be in the Green Mountains and you should be able to drive to many places to find your color!

Where are you lodged? I hope you have secured your places to stay along the route back to Boston or perhaps have one base to stay already picked out? If you don't have lodging, I would try to get on it asap!

Many folks will chime in here to give you expert advice from locals and frequent VT foliage travelers. If you have specific questions, things you enjoy (hiking, photography, shopping, dining, covered bridges, bicycling, etc.) it would be helpful to those responding.

Again, welcome!!! Ask away!!! CT
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:20 am

PS: In reviewing your intended travels, my best advice is to get off the main roads into the back roads! You will treasure the back road ventures the most, offering beauty and hidden gems! :wink:

MinnieB

Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:41 am

Devi's Hill in Peacham will give a great panoramic view. It will be a sea of color. If you don't mind a little hike to get there. https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/verm ... hill-trail
Owl's Head Overlook in Groton State Park is another good spot and a short hike from the parking lot.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:56 am

oh my gosh Minnie! This is an excellent recommendation for hiking Devil's Hill! I will see how I can fit this in when I am there for the week. Loved the photos attached to the site for this hike. Been to Owl's Head twice, loved it! Thank you! CT

mmac

Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:50 am

Thank you MinnnieB and CT.
Definitely will add this Owl's Head Overlook hike to my overbooked itinerary. :-)
I am excited and happy that I will not miss the peak since I will be in NEK the day of 10/3 then will spend next 5 days wondering around with my wife. What a way to celebrate our 26th anniversary. :))
Happy Fall Foliage 2019.
minh

MinnieB

Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:07 am

CT, later when I am home, I'll post a pic I took at Devil's hill in a previous year.

MMAC, Happy Anniversary!

MinnieB

Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:07 am

Sorry, I was going to post a picture I took, but I don't see any way to imbed one from my hard drive. Looks like it needs to already be on the internet as it is looking for a URL.

MinnieB

Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:12 am

OK, I see how to do it now. So, I took this from the top of Devil's Hill in 2015:
DSC_7726_a_sm_c.jpg
Be warned that it is a steep hike once you get to the hill after walking maybe a mile from the parking area. Also note that when you turn down the road to the parking area there is only room for one car, but there is two-way traffic. So, drive slowly and be prepared to have to backup to where you can turn off if need be. Keep strictly to the parking area as that area is logged and the logging trucks need room.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:01 pm

Minnie, this is wonderful! thank you for the photo as well as informative directions. I'm going to pass this along to my friend to see if he would mind adding a fourth hike in three days. Second thought, I think I will not mention it at all! :mrgreen: I'm familiar with the logger issue, my other friend is a logger in NW CT, so I know what to expect when we get there as far as the room needed for them to pass. I've seen quite a bit of logging trucks around here. Devil's Hill it is! I'll let you know when/if we went and my opinion on the foliage. I expect it to be grand by the time I get to Peacham Monday!!!!! I may skip the Danville Corn Maze if we do this unfortunately...… I would rather hike! :D

MinnieB

Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:33 pm

I took that photo on 10/12/15, so if things are running a week ahead, it might be pretty good.

mmac

Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:57 am

Hi MinnieB/CT,
I am a bit concern if all the leaves will drop with this 30+MPH wind in this rainy weather.
Can you please let me know tomorrow 10/2 if I need to change my itinerary from visiting NEK 10/3 then work my way across to west side, then down central.
Thanks

pwt54

Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:40 am

No need to change your plans. The winds didn't get that strong. The foliage should still be strong enough to handle the winds. Just don't run over the moose. They get annoyed when that happens.

mmac

Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:53 am

Thank you PWT54.
Happy Fall Foliage!

PS - I will be happy to stop and take picture of the moose. :)