Foliage color appears on schedule in the north

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

admin
Site Admin

Foliage color appears on schedule in the north

Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:26 pm

Hi everyone:
From here in the NEK, it looks like the color is pretty much on schedule. If you want to see what it might look like throughout this month, take a look at this slide show showing the progression of color, starting on September 12th.

http://www.foliage-vermont.com/slideshow2015.html

Slide show is from the 2015 season....it looks like this season is going to be a repeat...

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: Foliage color appears on schedule in the north

Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:40 am

Hi Tim, looks like you are at 39 this morning and about the same for Thursday morning. Should kickstart colors even more now!
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

ctyanky
Board Admin

Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:32 pm

Not Vermont, but at the summit of Avon Mtn. in my area (north central CT), we are a whole week ahead of color than normal. The red maples (more ruby colored) and sugar maples are quite vivid. These were not swamp maples. We usually don't get this for at least another week but it's been quite chilly here at night and our days are filled with sunshine. The elements came together here just right, so I am confident of a great unfolding of color this season. Just sayin'..... :wink:

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:06 am

We are approaching a whole week of fine weather through Friday: bright sunshiny days, cool nights. Excellent ingredients for a great fall display! Lots of intermittent rainfalls so we are not in a drought at all with minimal leaf fungus and pest disease. Maples popping out here like crazy on the mountain!

Whether we are early, normal or a tad late, this is going to be a good one folks. I can just feel it! :D :D :D

One more hiking trip/excursion to VT on the 21/22 in Woodstock for the Forestry Festival and then the big trip arrives! Leaving the end of next week! Can't believe it! 8)

ctyanky
Board Admin

Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:06 pm

The contractor who just delivered my windows saw my VT stickers on my car and we got into a "foliage" discussion as expected. He has a house in Ascutney and said the colors are up to a week early on his mountain and the area. He was a bit surprised seeing that the foliage was about 10 days late in his area last year. Interesting to say the least, hearing from those up in Vermont and he does goe up every weekend. We shall soon see...…….. :roll:

Colorado Mom

Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:10 pm

And the guessing game begins.....that's what makes it so much fun for me!! I've been watching the weather. I'm still 2 weeks away but noticed it was showing rain for several days right before we arrive. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:52 am

It does rain often and can be cloudy in October, but 2 weeks out is too early to base anything on. I usually go with 2 days, maybe 3 at best, to check rainfall. Weather varies so much in the regions up there as well.

My favorite Vermont weather station is wcax.com and the meteorologists are excellent and spot on.

I drive around in rain anyways but not torrential rain! :D

Colorado Mom

Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:18 am

Sounds just like Colorado weather. Even tho my clothes are somewhat already picked out, I'm sure I will be making last minute changes. If I didn't have to worry about that 50lb limit :roll: I'd be just fine!! Gotta make sure I have room for maple syrup and other fun shopping. Shipping might be my best bet before it's all said and done. Good to know about that weather station to follow!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:56 am

Hi Colorado: Happy Packing! I also keep rearranging right to the last minute but need warm clothes for summit hikes/lift rides, etc. The weather at the top of the mountains or deep in the woods can be quite different from the base. I'm all packed now, just have to get the snack bag ready! I keep remembering things to toss in and that is why I start so early. Since 3 of my 4 lodgings are on remote dirt roads, I have my LLBean lantern in the mix as well. Came in handy so many times. :mrgreen:

Colorado Mom

Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:21 pm

I hear u CT. We are lucky enough to be staying near a Walmart our first night so will load up on snacks and any last minute supplies. Sounds like u are going to have a full load. At least u get to load up your vehicle rather than a suitcase!! I can just hear my hubby asking, do u really need all those shoes? My hiking boots, my Bronco uggs(don't hate me Pat's fans) my tennis shoes, my comfy shoes YES I need them all :mrgreen: Hopefully u can tell me what the weather's gonna be like for the Peacham festival since u will already be there :D

From_the_NEK

Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:26 am

I took a drive around the middle of the NEK this morning to see how things are progressing.

Color is still early but it is certainly looking promising. There are the typical individual firecracker trees sprinkled around that make you go :shock: .

The highland lakes and ponds are still early as well.

Here is Bald Mountain taken from the Bald Hill Pond fishing access.

ImageFall 2019-9634 by Tim_NEK, on Flickr

Tonight is supposed to be a widespread frost and then it will warm up through the weekend.

Soon enough we will have this :D

ImageFall 2016-0217 by Tim_NEK, on Flickr

ctyanky
Board Admin

Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:42 pm

Excellent, thank you for taking the time to share this! You are one of the top VTers living there posting on this forum, so we rely on your expertise and on the spot photos. We are going to be in the mid 30's tonight here in northern CT, which I don't remember happening this early for a decade. Are you having just a frost or will there be a hard freeze anywhere? CT