Growth as a Photographer

Discussions on Equipment, Locations and Tips for getting the photographs you want of Vermont scenes.Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, admin

Andy

Growth as a Photographer

Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:58 am

When fall comes around, I wander back here to see if there is any activity. For reasons way beyond the scope of this post, we do not seem to get much activity these days. But I wanted to give some credit to a couple folks here.

Its hard to believe I first joined here in September of 2005. 12 years went by very fast! When I first stared coming to the board, it was to surf the foliage board for "intel" on conditions in Vermont. I have met a few friends here, who share my enthusiam for photography, including Carol, Margy (MMVT) and Tim (fromNEK). I wanted to shout out to you and say how impressed I am with your growth as photographers. I know there are others who were/are at various places in their photographic skills and there is no intent to exclude them. These are just 3 people who, in my opinion, have come a remarkable distance and are now the folks we all look to for examples of wonderful Vermont Scenery.

Carol: You probably remember that when I first came along you were a serious Point & Shoot camera user. I think we first talked about some of your local knowledge about scenes, and eventually it evolved to cameras, techniques and methods. I recall encouraging you to get a DSLR camera and use your "eye" to its full potential. Since then, you grew to a very talented shooter, with your own website. I have the very great honor of having you as a dear friend as well as co-author on the Second Edition of the Vermont Foliage Book!

Tim: Do you remember this post - Christmas time, 2013, I believe : "My awesome wife bought me a new camera for Christmas. So I have graduated from the old 8MP Sony DSC-H7 point-n-shoot to a DSLR Canon EOS 600D (EOS Rebel T3i). So far I really like it. I just need to work on understanding the capabilities. I plan on making use of Andy and Autzig's websites (although Autzig's link isn't working for me) to help me learn more about making the most of this camera. The camera came with 18-55 IS II and EF 75-300 f/4-5.6 III lenses. So I'm going to start there. I also need to get a copy of Lightroom or another image post processing software before I start shooting in raw.
I'm excited.
"

While you had alread posted some impressive shots, the images you have made, and posted in more recent years are excellent and I have been at times, envious of your work. When I ever get back to Vermont, I would love to meet you in person and perhaps even do some shooting together. Congratulations on your skills and success and please keep favoring us with your work!

Margy: Although we were conversant on the board, I got to know you personally later (and condsider it an honor to be your friend). I didn't know your background in photography and suspect it was already more advanced when I came along. But your most recent imagery - here and elsewhere - has in my opinion gone from being good, to amazingly impressive. I haven't done much with milky way imagery, and I know you, Carol and others have been "schooled" by our great friend Al Utzig. Some of the recent examples you have made are among the best (if not THE best) I have ever seen.

Just wanted to give some accolades! Best to all of you!
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

bogey456

Re: Growth as a Photographer

Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:14 am

Hi Andy: I noticed that you mentioned that you (and Carol) have a 2nd addition of your "Photographing Vermont's Fall Foliage" book. I have your first book and I'm wondering if the 2nd addition is available and if so how I could get a copy.
Al
Al

Andy

Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:59 am

Hi Al: Yes, it is available on all the "normal" ebook outlets, including Amazon (Kindle), iBooks (Apple) and Nook. It has actually replaced the First Edition, which is no longer available. We added a lot of new material, so it is worth upgrading. Carol is a fount of knowledge about Vermont, especially in the NEK and had been to, and photographed a few places I haven't.

Best regards, and thanks for asking
Andy

bogey456

Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:30 am

Hi Andy, Yes I found it on Amazon. I'm in the process of putting your GPS data into my GPS and marking up my JIMAPCO.
Al
Al

Andy

Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:58 am

Bogey 456: Please just be aware that those GPS coordinates are APPROXIMATE. I have already had it pointed out that there is at least one glaring error. We note that in the prefatory materials. I do not carry a GPS with me when shooting and none of my gear has the capability of recording coordinates. I used a DeLorme mapping program to get them as close as I could, afterward, while writing the book. Use your map, the directions and common sense :-) along with that information. Best of luck
Andy

Andy

Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:00 am

Thanks, Margy and Carol. I value our friendship much more than any photography - but it is what brought us all together. Carol, we are all still learning - I have always thought that when you stop learning, you are going backward.
Andy

Utah Baker

Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:31 am

Today, when someone will ask me how I got interested in photography, I tell them about this wonderful forum and it’s members, it all really got started here. At least this where the spark was fanned into a flame. Although lightyears behind those mentioned here, I’m still learning and progressing, I hope!

I first started reading on this forum in 97, when that year for Christmas husband gave me tickets to fly to New England the following fall. I life long dream of mine, and in the fall of 98 I was hooked, we’ve only missed a couple of years since. My husband also bought me a little point & shoot Panasonic LUMIX, and I was hooked there too!

I read the forum and studied photos here silently till I finally got the courage to join the forum and add my voice, receiving such a warm welcome and encouragement from Andy, Al, Carol, MMVT and Ct.

My older brother is an avid photographer and loaned me the use of his first DSLR, a Nikon D70, and I now had a full blown addiction! That was the wonderful year I had the privilege of meeting up with Andy, Al and MMVT. We shared that wonderful evening at MMVT’s with Al teaching us about photographing the Milkyway. Although the little old Nikon didn’t have enough ISO capability for night time photography, it was still a great experience to watch Al and MMVT at work. These wonderful people make you feel as if you’ve know them all your life, so generous with there time and knowledge. A very dear memory.

I remember very clearly the year NEK got that camera for Christmas, I was green with envy! But the following Mother’s Day I received my own new camera, a NikonD 5300.

In the past several years I’ve won several local photo contests, and had my photos featured on the local news station, which of course is thrilling and helps to motivate me.

I bought Andy & Carol’s ebook last year and love it and have recommended it to many. Thanks for the years of encouragement and expertise shared. Hope I get the opportunity to meet you all again sometime. My life has been blessed and enriched with your association.

Andy

Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:59 am

Janice: I too enjoyed meeting you. That was the year I decided to come to VT at the last moment and, surprisingly, was able to get a nice room at the White Horse Inn in Waitsfield, where Carol and Al were both staying. I flew into Burlington and Al picked me up. We went to Carol's in Barton and tried to shoot the milky way over Lake Willoughby. It was my first try, and it was a mess :-). I have never gotten back to it. Sadly, I missed the night Al gave the "clinic," in Killington. He dropped me off in Burlington for a very early flight the next a.m. I have never gotten back to the milky way shots. It has been difficult to find areas void of light pollution, with interesting subject matter both here along the populous Florida coast, and back in suburban Saginaw. Al has a future trip planned for me :-) in which I am certain I will get "schooled" in night shooting.

Meantime, Margy was a very fast learner and a star pupil. This year, she has posted some of the most spectactular milky way shots I have seen anywhere, on her FB page!
Andy

MinnieB

Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:18 pm

I usually end up in the foliage forum, even though my primary interest is photography. I'll have to post here more often.

Utah Baker

Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:32 pm

There have been some posts and voices noticeably removed from the forum and they are greatly missed. They added so much to our discussions and the fun tone and friendship that has existed here for years. I hope they will be restored to us soon as it’s just not the same here without them. :|