Peacham Peak?

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

viajero465

Peacham Peak?

Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:25 pm

I was in Peacham on oct 10, 2018, and took the photo shown below. For my next fall adventure I want to be very selective and only visit places where I have missed peak. Would you Peacham experts please tell me if what I've seen is it? Do I move Peacham to the done column or go back for another try? Thanks!
Peacham.jpg

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: Peacham Peak?

Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:34 pm

To me it looks like nearing or approaching peak! I'm there for a whole week in October and will keep you updated during my trip. I think Peacham does arrive a tad later but we were quite late last season, about 10 days. CT

viajero465

Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:34 pm

Thank you, ctyanky. Looks like I will have to return.

Since you are going there I'll mention a somewhat awkward situation the happened to me when walking across the field from the fire station to take the pic shown on the first post. I was very careful not to walk over any farmed land but nevertheless a man came out of the house on the left, close to hill and looked at me in a not so friendly way. He had a dog with him and stayed put until I left, looking all the time like he had a peptic ulcer or worse. He would have made a perfect Heathcliff!
Heathcliff.jpg
Heathcliff.jpg (14.95 KiB) Viewed 31267 times
I have seen the same photo of Peacham so many times over the years that I thought it was ok to go there. I even asked one of the firemen before going into the field and he said "no problem at all, take all the photos you want". He was super friendly and later gave us some tips about going across the road to the cemetery for more pics, but the ogre on the hill left me with an unpleasant feeling.

I got the photo, though. :)

Utah Baker

Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:32 am

viajero465, too funny! I had the exact same experience, I was there a day ahead of you on the 9th.

I think it was pretty darn close to perfect. Was there again this
489E95CA-E07C-4898-A36E-47006A3B0538.jpeg
past May,.......no Heathcliff! :lol:

Andy

Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:34 am

Carol and I note in our book that Peacham often turns and "peaks" (whatever that means to you :) ) later than other areas. Indeed, although it is known to be the first place to turn, the entire Northeast Kingdom often has pockets of late, very nice color.

I have photographed there a few times over the years and have never encountered anyone with a problem. A couple times there were several photographers, tripods, etc. there at the same time and we often arrive early and wait for the light. Again, I haven't noted any problem.

I did hear some grumblings in town once from one of the locals. They are a very small village and I suspect, during 11 months of the year, quiet with few outside visitors. Her comment was she couldn't wait for the leaves to be gone, and the leaf-peepers along with them. I also heard a story about somebody walking through a private yard and even peering in windows of one of the residential homes. As you know, since you have been there, the farm field from which this image is usually made, slopes up a hill to the treeline and there are a couple of residential homes and yards up just the other side of the field. So I totally get that there may be some animosity from some of them.

It is just as likely, however that none of them own the field and there has never been any reports that the owner wants to exclude photographers. Like the fireman said (though he probably didn't have any authority to do so), mostly I have hear it is no problem.

Of course, it is important to respect landowners. I have been there when there were actually growing crops and I was careful to remain up around the tree line and not traipse through the field. Usually it has had a corn crop and usually by October, has been harvested, so you really aren't doing any damage to be on it then.

Of all my trips there, I have never been when I would consider it "peak." It has usually seemed a bit early and undeveloped. One problem is that the various species so often experience leaf drop at different times, so finding the "riot" of color - while possible - is a challenge. Of all my trips there, I think my best "take" was my first trip there, in 2005, even though the color was not very good anywhere in the state that year.[img]https://www.lightcentricphotography.com ... /i-2s5kWGq[/img]
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

Utah Baker

Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:53 am

Exactly! Pretty hard to get all the trees to cooperate at the same time. I can’t say enough about being respectful after seeing a group of international visitors spread out on the lawn at Sleepy Hollow Farm having a picnic and photo shoot! With signs clearly posted “No Trespassing”. While others tried to work around them from the road, to get for many their “once in a lifetime” shot. Sadly, it will only take a few to ruin it for all.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:17 pm

I know the fire station and field, never had an issue there. Last fall I went to the Peacham Fall Foliage Festival and at the firehouse, a local was taking folks out to the field in question on a wagon ride with his horses. So he must have gotten permission from someone because quite a few people were lined up for the tour. It was quite amazing to be way out there with the views of Peacham on a stunning fall day. We were at the tree line up on the hill for folks to take pictures, etc. I hope he is back there for the festival. I may ask him if he got permission from the town which I assume he did. Young gentleman transplant from Connecticut turned VT farmer.

Since I've been going to Vermont, I have never had any discomfort with townsfolk taking pictures but again, I never ventured off a roadway. Plus, I've mostly been in my friends' VT cars so that may have stymied any situations...………

I do recall someone from this forum a few years back claiming he was harassed on Kelly Stand Road by folks living out there in some of the more remote sections. Just be careful and extremely respectful at all times.

triz

Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:17 pm

This was October 13th 2017

It was a weird season though.

Fall is approaching, get ready everyone! However, this year we won't be able to come to Vermont from Philly, because our first daughter was born a month ago... Hopefully next year!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:28 pm

Oh Triz! Congratulations on your baby!!! We will miss your great posts and photos and all your foliage energy!!!! Bring that little girl to Vermont in 2020!!! :D

triz

Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:44 am

Thanks CT, I will miss Vermont so much this fall!
I look forward to seeing pictures from all of you this year, and I’ll definitely bring the little one there next year!

Utah Baker

Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:49 pm

Triz, CoNgRaTuLaTiOnS!!!!! Here’s to daughters young & old! Thanks for sharing such a beautiful photo. It’s a beautiful spot in all four seasons. Hopefully we can both visit next year. The area has been experiencing some cool nights, makes the heart beat a little faster.

P.S. I love my sons as well!

triz

Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:39 pm

Thanks so much Utah Baker!

I wish you and your family the most amazing fall!