FOLIASMS IN THE NEK! Go Now! Mind Boggling Color!

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: FOLIASMS IN THE NEK! Go Now! Mind Boggling Color!

Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:27 pm

Thanks Tim. You're unbelievable, I'll report back probably Friday night as I am getting back late to the inn tomorrow and heading out to another part of the state on Friday with a lot on my agenda! I hope I see you or your truck or kayak! It's a small world and you never know! Have a wonderful time tomorrow and through the weekend. CT

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:57 am

Tim: Is Bean Pond worth stopping at? It's so close to Wheeler....Thanks!

From_the_NEK

Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:31 am

It is. There is an easy pull off on the west side of route 5 toward the south end of the pond.

Fallleafechidna

Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:06 pm

Hinton Hill has some amazing views, that is from the north end of the lake.

Long Pond is best hit driving to it up from Willoughby so you hit it driving south as the pre-lake view is the true killer, ultimate foliage spot in the entire world (along with the mini-114 radioactive stretch, a touch different).

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:32 pm

Hello everyone! I made the decision and I was back in the NEK on a picture perfect day, cloudless blue skies with warm temperatures, making this one of the most memorable fall days in Vermont ever! We started out of Lyndonville on route 5 up to Bean Pond and over to Wheeler Pond. Bean Pond was so nice! Glad Tim recommended a quick stop there as it is indeed right off the road. From there Wheeler Pond. OMG! What a sight to behold! Peak Peak Peak and a glassy lake for amazing photos. We were there quite a long time and stopped to talk to a real estate agent who says the pond, the 100 acres plus cabin are for sale so my friend took her card! We started up Wheeler Mtn. Road but had to turn back due to time constraints. From there we went to Lake Willoughby and took A LOT of photos with the blue sky this time around. (I was there two days ago in clouds). The best part was taking the CCC Road up the hill for an overlook of the lake from high up and the water was so blue it looked like the Caribbean waters. We went to Long Pond next and oh wow, it was divine. Saw From-the-NEK's pickup truck there as he was out kayaking so I left him a note to tell him we were headed to Jobs Pond. Long Pond in peak is quite a scene! Then off to Hinton Hill Road so I could show my friend the views from up top. He was in awe! And so was I for that matter. The views up there are insane of the lake and beyond! Then we headed to Jobs Pond. We saw NEK there and he signed my Vermont Life! 8) 8) 8) If you are reading this Tim thank you! And also for the other magazine which has all your other amazing photos in it! Congratulations! When we drove down to the lake the lighting was PERFECT and we got such great reflections in the water from all the foliage that was in pure peak! Wow! After that we headed to Darling Hill Road and the views of Burke Mountain were yowzah! By this time of the day, it looked like Burke Mountain and the surrounding hills were glowing red! I have never seen it like that! We passed by the two beautiful inns, both of which I have stayed at. We ended the trip by stopping by The Chapel. Impressive as always! Seemed like such a long ride back to the inn but what a day! I will always remember this perfect, top 10 day in Vermont! Thanks to NEK for all his help in with my routes! Had enough foliasams today and I'm exhausted :!: Ended the day with another stop at Mad Taco too! :mrgreen:

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:36 pm

P.S. It is still going to be awesome up in the NEK Friday so head up there! I think the peak will still be hot even into Saturday! Enjoy! :D

From_the_NEK

Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:49 pm

Mind = Boggled

From Bald Hill Pond Thursday

ImageBaldHillPond by Tim_NEK, on Flickr

Tomorrow should be excellent as well. Add a damp cloudy day Saturday and Sunday should be great too. This season is turning out to be ridiculous.

Great to meet you today :D

Fallleafechidna

Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:14 pm

oh man, Bald Hill Pond looks amazing! We drove right by, arg, never been there.

Fallleafechidna

Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:16 pm

Indeed! Along with 2012 in the NEK, this year in the NEK was the greatest foliage display we have ever seen in our lives! Amazing.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:27 am

Tim: I'm going to add Bald Hill Pond to my agenda next year! It was so fun to meet you yesterday! When I saw your red pick up truck and orange kayak at Jobs Pond, I thought to myself, what a small world it really is. I left a note on your car at Long Pond on a coffee filter (I was filtering my words, had to be brief) but also put it on another red car next to you! :lol: That person is probably still wondering who CT is! :wink:

I fell deep asleep last night dreaming of foliage ponds and the glow over Burke Mountain which seemed almost unreal to me! I still can't believe the reds up near 105 and 114!!!! The NEK won the gold star in my mind so far this season!

The color in the NEK set the bar for me on peak color, but now that central Vermont is coming into peak, it should be awesome this weekend provided we get no wind. The NEK should be great right into the weekend!

What a season! So glad I have a few more days! I'm doing the gaps today, all three except Lincoln! :D

From_the_NEK

Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:02 pm

More...
This morning from Burke Mtn:
ImageFog in the Valleys 2 by Tim_NEK, on Flickr

Kirby Ridge Rd this morning:
ImageOne Tree Fog by Tim_NEK, on Flickr

One More (From Long Pond Thursday):
ImageLong Pond Reflections by Tim_NEK, on Flickr

Fallleafechidna

Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:05 pm

Looks like Long Pond is really holding on a long time, looks like it was still full peak Thursday with all reds.

And wow Burke Mtn. looks like it really came on strong over the last couple of nights.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:00 pm

When I saw Burke Mountain on the way home late in the day yesterday, it appeared to be glowing red. It was amazing! The whole mountain is at its ultimate peak now as quite evident in NEK's photos! :D

NEK: Your fog in the valley2 is another magazine winner! I just know it! :D

ctyanky
Board Admin

Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:00 pm

NEK: were you in your kayak when you took the Long Pond reflections? The lake looks a tad different from my views! :lol:

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:30 am

Tim: I have a feeling your Burke Mountain shot is going to end up in another magazine! Have my pen ready! See you at another pond next year, and, I'll kayak out for another signature! :lol:

It was great to finally meet you. My friend was equally impressed with your photos! :wink: