Biking on Oct 9th

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

dulgar

Biking on Oct 9th

Wed Oct 06, 2004 10:44 am

Hey-

My in-laws are coming down from Canada and I was hoping to get them out for a bike ride to see the foliage.

Preferably, I'm looking for carriage trail/path rides through the woods, but can also do beginner mountain biking (emphasis on the colours, not the trail) or very rural country roads.

Distance is fairly flexible since we'll have all day, so anything between 5 - 20 miles depending upon the trail.

Can anyone suggest a few such spots that will be near peak colours this weekend? We'll be coming from Albany, NY so we can get to the Stowe area fairly easily (1.5 hrs) and can go a bit further north, but hate to drive more than about 2-2.5 hrs one way if possible.

Thanks so much for the help!
Aaron

dkramer

Re: Biking on Oct 9th

Wed Oct 06, 2004 11:51 am

Albany to Stowe should probably take about 3.5 hours. Maybe you can shorten that a bit by taking 22a, but I think it's more like 3-3.5 hours (it takes 3 hours to get to Mad River Valley from Albany metro).

Daniel

dulgar

Re: Biking on Oct 9th

Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:20 pm

*laugh* Oops, apparently my brain quit on me. Stowe is a solid 3+ hr drive for me, I flipped Stratton and Stowe for some odd reason when writing my post.

Basically, I'm hoping to find something in a more southern or central VT area with a nice bike ride and peak colours. Northern VT is beautiful, but I spend too much time getting there to want to do it as a day-trip, which is what I'm limited to this weekend.

Thanks again,
Aaron