VT is Calling You for Foliage Season 2016 - Who is on board!?

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

VT is Calling You for Foliage Season 2016 - Who is on board!?

Sat May 28, 2016 1:22 pm

Hello foliage fanatics! Hope everyone is well and enjoying spring and summer weather! In four months, many of us will be trekking to Vermont for another great autumn season! :D If you haven't made your reservations yet, jump on it. Weekends in October are beginning to fill up!

I am going to be in Vermont October 1st through Columbus Day Weekend. My first weekend will be at a B&B in Woodstock. I have hopes to finally visit the Raptor Center, Billings Farm and many back roads around the area. I have the Worthy Kitchen on my list of eateries as I heard it is great! Then I am going to be at Carol's (abby on the forum) house in Barton for the first week in October. The adventures of Thelma and Louise Part III is forthcoming! :mrgreen: Columbus Day Weekend, I will be at another B&B in Castleton hoping to spend those days with bm, our other forum moderator. I'm exploring new areas this season for a change and am excited to tool around new back roads and places to visit that I have not been before.

Hope to hear if any of you are coming to Vermont, or anticipating a trip there. Summer is just around the corner and then the next season will soon be beckoning us all!

CT
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: VT is Calling You for Foliage Season 2016 - Who is on board!?

Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:31 pm

Hey there foliage geeks! :mrgreen: We are now two months away - 8 weeks! - from the first day of Autumn 2016! That's 63 days! Shall we start the countdown? :lol: I swear I saw the top of a sugar maple today losing some of it's rich, green summer canopy to a duller shade! Oh well, wishful thinking? :wink: Anyhow, keep your eyes peeled upward over the next three weeks and you'll see the green shades slowly reducing their summer brilliance.

Hope you are finalizing your trip plans at this point in time and looking forward to a great autumn in Vermont 2016!

CT

courtmel

Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:31 am

Hi there CTlady and fellow forum peeps,

We are planning our annual pilgrimage to Vermont (God's country) for either the last week of September or the first week of October. We have had visits where it rained 75% of the time which is no fun when you goal is sightseeing...One of the most colorful years was the last week in September 2014. I thought we hit it just right. With our drought situation, I am wondering what Mother Nature has in store for us this autumn. Any comments would be taken with a grain of salt but very appreciated!!! Also, we usually stay in Killington and do day trips from there. Any suggestions for a different area to plop down in? I wouldn't mind being closer to Polly's Pancakes even though (bite my tongue) it is in NH. Nothing makes me smile as much as a sunny autumn day having lunch at the Rochester Cafe especially if they are serving their to die for Corn Chowder soup. We are not big shoppers, so being near the outlets don't mean that much to us. I can't believe SOX closed up. Now that was my type of store.

I can't wait for the most beautiful time of the year! I am blessed to live in New England.
autumn leaf

bvahjen

Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:03 am

As I sit here on my porch in south central vt, the leaves and moisture level look good. The pond is full even though the grass is dry. 8 weeks to go.

From_the_NEK

Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:55 am

Northern Vermont is also doing well on moisture this summer. There was an issue with forest tent caterpillars early this summer in a few areas but other than that things are looking good so far.

wentworth

Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:30 pm

concerned about Vermont's dry summer--however, some places are doing better than others--Stowe is doing poorly, but the Northeast Kingdom is doing much better, as far as rainfall amounts go so far--also, Peachum/Groton area is doing much better than Stowe also--weather.com put in any town, then go to "Monthly" at the top, shows the precip totals every day--Waitsfield and Woodstock are quite dry this month

Utah Baker

Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:20 pm

Saw a weather out look for the next three months showing warmer than average temps for fall. Any of our weather experts want to weigh in?

wentworth

Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:06 am

good news is that thru Tues Aug 2nd, forecast is for all of Vermont to get a good soaking, 1 to 2 inches--thank God

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:56 am

Hi all: no worries in my opinion about the dry weather in VT. I was up in southern VT yesterday and the foliage is rich and thriving and the reservoirs are not low, specifically Harriman Reservoir. Compared to what we are seeing here in Southern New England, I would say it was night and day. We are at 8" or more in moderate drought here in CT and southern MA but up north, they have received a lot more rain than we have. Please don't fret! :)

wentworth

Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:54 pm

Big rains today from Rutland/Killington to the Northeast Kingdom, much needed beautiful rain today--Rutland was supposed to have 5 inches of rain in July, instead they got .70 but a good start for August

ctyanky
Board Admin

Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:08 am

There's nothing like a very cool morning with geese flying overhead to get the blood flowing and the mind racing to thoughts of autumn! I can finally say, "I'm off to my Vermont foliage vacation next month!" :D :D :D

wentworth

Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:18 pm

well, I think its safe to say that Vermont's "mini-drought" is over, luckily--Its freaking pouring right now in most of Vermont

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:13 am

Hi Wentworth: Vermont was actually not in much of a drought at all. They have been getting copious amounts of rain from storms all summer. Stop fretting, things are moving along beautifully. I'm hopeful for a great season. You really can't predict much until about the second week of September anyways. And as I have said before, Mother Nature holds the reins! :wink: Too many variables come into play in September to make much of a prediction at all right now but I am optimistic!

wentworth

Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:11 am

ctyanky wrote:Hi Wentworth: Vermont was actually not in much of a drought at all. They have been getting copious amounts of rain from storms all summer. Stop fretting, things are moving along beautifully. I'm hopeful for a great season. You really can't predict much until about the second week of September anyways. And as I have said before, Mother Nature holds the reins! :wink: Too many variables come into play in September to make much of a prediction at all right now but I am optimistic!
but I like to fret! but I'm rather optimistic right now--of course you are correct, 2nd and 3rd week of September will tell the story, and hopefully the Foliage Gods will be quite kind to us as they have been, for so many years in the past

ctyanky
Board Admin

Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:35 am

I brought down my fall décor last night. :mrgreen: I hope I can wait until after Labor Day to jolt the neighborhood out of their summer complacency with foliage wreaths, mums and everything autumn! :lol: