Google Map of Vermont Scenic Locations

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

faxmachineanthem

Google Map of Vermont Scenic Locations

Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:32 am

Hello all,
It's been a while since I posted on this forum. I won't be in Vt this year -- I'll be taking a foliage trip to West Virginia instead. But it got me thinking of this project I worked on several years ago, and I thought of a new way to share it.

I made a list of gps coordinates about 175 Vermont photo locations and scenic roads that I'd found through this forum, books, and from wandering around. The majority of the spots are scenic roads, but there are a lot of pretty towns, water falls, ponds, viewpoints, etc marked as well.

Today I imported those to a Google Map which you can access below. I hope this is a good resource for anybody trying to find good spots. I believe you can even pull this map up on your phone and navigate to the locations using your Google Maps app, if you're so inclined. (I believe the way to do that is to hit the "star" icon next to the map name, making it a favorite. Then in the app you can pull it up under My Places. But I'm not 100% certain on this method.)

Enjoy!

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid= ... sp=sharing

ixl

Re: Google Map of Vermont Scenic Locations

Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:11 pm

Thanks, very cool!
Charles Kozierok - DesktopScenes.com

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

Andy

Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:00 am

Hey Fax: Good to see you here again! We will miss you at the re-union.

Where in WVa are you going? My friend, Rich and I went there for a few days in 2012. It rivals Vermont's color in its own way. It isn't "Vermont" in my view, but it is pretty spectacular. It is even more rural than Vermont, and there are back roads that are literally "two track." Some of them are paved, but you would swear you were on a golf cart path.

We spent the bulk of our time in Summersville, near Babcock State park. We were there primarily to photograph the Grist MIll. If you get a chance to do that in color, its worth the trip. I assume you also have done your "homework," but there is a road that bisects the state from N/S called "The Midland Trail" and as you follow it West there are some great views. I have not been to the Eastern Part, but hear that Dolly Sods and vicinity are pretty spectacular.

Hope you'll report back to us! Hope to see you another year!

Thanks for the map - going there next.
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

faxmachineanthem

Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:56 am

Hey Andy,
Good to hear from you! Thanks for the tips. I hadn't heard of the Midland Trail -- I'll look that up. I'll be staying in Davis, WV, which is in the northeastern part of the state. Babcock State Park is on my list, but I'm guessing I won't make it that far south. I have 4 or 5 places marked down, including Dolly Sods, Lindy Point etc. I get the idea that this area of WV is primarily overlooks and waterfalls. I'm looking forward to it, but I don't have any illusions that it will top Vermont. :D But it's about 5 hours closer to my home near Baltimore.

Good luck on your Vermont trip!

Bryan

Andy

Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:17 pm

Bryan: Take a peek at my website: http://www.lightcentricphotography.com/ ... -Virginia/

Babcock, IMO, is worth the drive. Both the Gristmill (an iconic site) and Boley Lake are worth some effort.

Will miss you for the reunion. We are -- as you know -- going to have a tribue to GIC, who was a contritutor here. George was an inspiration to us - I know you met him Carol's house for the dinner. WIll be thinking of you as you are in WVa for this time of the year. Will look forward to your reports!
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .