The Great Fall Get Together

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: The Great Fall Get Together

Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:30 pm

Janice: so happy for you and your husband on your next trip to Vermont! That is great news! Unfortunately, I leave Sunday the 4th of October and I think Carol does as well..... I really was looking forward to meeting you finally after all these years. But at least if you have time, you get to meet the great Al from Minn! :wink:

We have quite an itinerary planned for the week before you arrive once Al and Carol get to Waitsfield on the 29th and 30th respectively. So hard to connect with everyone! Darn! :? Carol and I are planning the reunion for Saturday the 3rd of October at Seyon State Forest (Noyes Pond) and one of us will update the forum soon. The reunion is partly a memorial for a very special SOV member who passed away - George Camp - who joined us on numerous occasions in Vermont. We are going to honor him at Noyes Pond.

Dean: I love your itinerary! Depending on when you arrive I could "possibly" meet you in Bennington or Manchester for the Skyline Drive up Equinox OR Kelly Stand Road and Bennington. You could meet Charles too if I can drag him away! Keep me posted please! I can only do weekends if that works because I have a full time job.....

Andy

Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:58 pm

I am happy to report that largely due to Carol's persuasive skills, I have had a change in plans and will be in state Thurs, Fri Sat and Sun a.m. Will see some of you in Waitsfield and then in Barton. Looking forward to seeing some and meeting some of you.
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

ctyanky
Board Admin

Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:33 am

Andy! Wow! Great news! I had an uncanny feeling you would be coming after all. You can't resist us. :mrgreen: Well, maybe it's Vermont you can't resist. Nah, it's us! Anyways, you are in for quite an adventure because Carol and I have planned the whole trip! :lol: Please email me as I have dinner reservations Thursday night in Warren and already upped them for bm, Carol and her husband to join Al and I. See you soon! YAY! This is going to be fun times for sure! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I'll probably be joining you and Al and Carol later in the a.m. Thursday and Friday in Waitsfield. I don't get moving until about 9:30. :wink:

Utah Baker

Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:54 pm

Ugh, wish I could change my flight, but the Sat. was the one we thought we could afford. (Dang money!!!) We will be arriving in Manchester NH, about 9:30 pm, pick up our rental and maybe head straight up, about a 2 hour drive to Killington. Haven't nailed down a place to stay yet, but would move heaven and earth to meet up with anyone who can Sunday! Really wish we could be there earlier, but as I said before I'm locked into a catering job on the 1st, and with travel time I couldn't have gotten there any earlier than Fri. night, if only the airlines offred their cheaper flights on Fridays! :(

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:58 am

Janice: wish I could see you Sunday but I have to head right home after breakfast to get to the kennel on time! Where are you staying in Killington?

Utah Baker

Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:12 am

CT: Sorry if I was confusing, no reservation yet, just stating how long it would take us to drive that far. :)

autzig

Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:04 am

Janice, I am booked at the Summit Lodge in Killington. It had pretty good reviews on Trip Advisor and was reasonably priced.

I plan to do a night shoot on Sunday night, weather permitting.

Looking forward to meeting you in person.

Al

Utah Baker

Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:04 pm

Al, thanks for the tip, still trying to work something out with our timeshare exchange. Definitely planning on attending the class the night of the 4th. What time do you think you'll start? Very excited, really looking forward to it. :D

autzig

Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:21 pm

Janice, on October 4, the galactic center of the Milky Way is visible from 8:02 PM until 9:40 PM and the moon doesn't rise until 11:50 PM. All of that means we have more than an hour and a half to photograph the night sky in darkness. I would like to be at our shoot location no later than 7:30 and it would probably be a good idea for us to go over the the process for shooting the Milky Way before that. Maybe we could meet for dinner somewhere and go over the details then. Margy wants to do the shoot too, so maybe we can all get together.

Some of us will be in Killington on Friday and I plan to scout out some possible photo locations. I hope I can find a place not too far from Killington.

Al

ixl

Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:56 pm

I think I'm confused. Isn't the get-together in the NEK on the 3rd? But the night photography get-together is in Killington the next day?
Charles Kozierok - DesktopScenes.com

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

autzig

Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:17 pm

Charles, I'm planning to do a night photo shoot every night where the skies are clear. Friday and Saturday Andy and I will be staying with Carol in Barton. If the weather is good we will be shooting the night sky there. Wednesday and Thursday we will be in Waitsfield and we will shoot the night sky somewhere near there. Sunday we will try shooting the night sky near Killington.

I hope you can join us somewhere.

Al

ixl

Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:42 am

Cool. I will plan to see you somewhere and hopefully the weather will cooperate!
Charles Kozierok - DesktopScenes.com

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

deaner1971

Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:41 am

All,

There is a distant possibility that I can make it up for the fall get together.

Could you give me the days that you are planning to get together to shoot photos (day and night, you crazies!)?

Also, an idea of where you will be based for the days in question would be awesome for logistics!

Still not sure that I can make it up early but, I am trying!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:35 am

Even Dean: Why don't you make that "distant" possibility happen! Don't you want to join the crazies????? :mrgreen: We are planning one heck of a week!

Although I get there on the 25th, we start grouping up beginning Tuesday night the 29th when Al gets in, through Sunday October 4th. Where we are traveling is different every day and it will be an ongoing with MANY stops along the way.

On Wednesday we are doing the gap loops with more time on the Middlebury Gap and Natural Turnpike. Thursday we are all heading to Chelsea, Strafford and Brookfield on a long loop with stops at covered bridges, churches and back roads, ending at the Brookfield Floating Bridge. Friday we are spending the entire day in Killington and Saturday we are at Seyon State Forest and Noyes Pond for the reunion gathering, and then around some roads Carol is working on in Plainfield and Marshfield. Sunday some folks are departing.

Does this help????? Please be there!!!! (You'll probably regret it later if you don't!) :lol: And we will be sure to make you green with envy in the altenative...........CT

autzig

Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:27 pm

Dean, see my message above to Charles regarding the night photo shoots.

Al