Long Weekend - Report

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

standupphotog

Long Weekend - Report

Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:30 pm

Got back last night from an amazing three days in Vermont and Lake George.

I'll do up a full report soon. For now, there's a preview image posted on my site, with more to follow:

http://www.ariphoto.com/travel/vermont

... Some random thoughts on color:

- Crossed over from NY to West Pawlet, and saw decent color into Dorset, then spotty down through Manchester.
- Color was hit and miss from Pawlet up to Poultney and over to Rutland.
- Nice around Mendon/Killington.
- Still lovely at Jenne Farm for dawn, and good enough around Woodstock.
- Some great spots on the way up and into Middlebury, as well as in Champlain Valley as described by others here.

The weather held out nicely. We ate well, drank well, shopped well, and very much enjoyed just driving around and experiencing what the area has to offer.

Thanks again for all the helpful advice here.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: Long Weekend - Report

Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:19 am

Fantastic enthusiastic report! I'm looking forward to those photos! I delved deeper into your gallery 8) and you have AMAZING photos! (My favorite was Hawai'i! I recognize many of the island shots! I travel to the Hawaiian islands each year now, my heart is in Maui. I saw that you have all the islands but that one.)

Glad you had such a great weekend! :)

standupphotog

Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:56 pm

ctyanky wrote:Fantastic enthusiastic report! I'm looking forward to those photos! I delved deeper into your gallery 8) and you have AMAZING photos! (My favorite was Hawai'i! I recognize many of the island shots! I travel to the Hawaiian islands each year now, my heart is in Maui. I saw that you have all the islands but that one.)

Glad you had such a great weekend! :)
Thank you for the kind words. We love Hawaii as well... Maui is on our list for next time (would be nice to get to Molokai or Lanai, too).

A bonus experience happened yesterday. I was shooting in front of the clubhouse at a nearby country club, when a staffer came by on his golf cart and starting asking questions. I figured this interloper was about to get the boot. Instead, he asked if I wanted to take the cart out and drive around the course to capture all the colours. Talk about amazing! It was a beautiful morning, great light, and hardly any golfers on the course as it was a weekday and the season was near the end. I stopped by the office afterwards, gave the manager my card, and told him I'd return the favour by providing some images to do with whatever they please. Some of the best colour we've seen anywhere around here, a woods with reds and oranges and leaves falling while you stand there... and an experience I'll never forget.

standupphotog

Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:57 pm

mmvt wrote:It's always nice to hear these reports. Because several of us post regularly in order to share information with others it's good to know that the information posted is helpful! Looking forward to seeing your VT gallery when you put it up and glad that you found good color AND had an excellent time in VT!
Helpful indeed. It's great that we have this resource, isn't it?!

standupphotog

Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:27 pm

Finally got the photos up:

http://www.ariphoto.com/travel/adkvermont

... Last bits of fall colour still visible around here, still some nice portrait opportunities of leaves on the ground and whatnot. And while that winds down, it's time to get ready for other kinds of shooting -- fog, frost, snow, and the like.

Utah Baker

Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:45 pm

Lovely photos, I enjoyed them very much. A couple of years back we took the boat ride around Lake George, it was fabulous. Thanks for sharing these and bringing to mind fun memories!