Need help on foliage drive planing

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

jcmaxwell37

Re: Need help on foliage drive planing

Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:56 am

dear mmvt and pwt54
Thanks a lot for your kind information. As per your recommendation, I am looking for a good base for a day trip.
As I saw a report that NEK will hit the peak in next week, I would limit myself up north to area of Northfield, Montpelier and St. J only (may go for a glimpse as far as Stowe if the color still there). Can you recommend a central location that I can base for a few night to explorer the area? (maybe max 3 nights) should I stay close to VT100 or main highway 89? (Im not sure but I think that chain motel are closer to main highway?)

I have done the simple touring map for my trip in VT (CT and other is coming soon)
My plan is now as following:
5 Oct start driving to Brattleboro, 1 night here
6 Oct drive up north as far as color still, using 89Hwy for a faster move, for a scenic drive will use local road
9 continue south using 7 or 100
in the map, I have highlight 4 areas to visit:
1. Northfield for covered bridge
2. Area of Green Mountain NP, Upper Notch Rd.-->Ripton using Forest Road (Idea from tree tunnel thread)
3. Killington and surrounding, Cloudland road farm (iconic photo!) http://goo.gl/maps/46XBD (inspired by Jacky's thread)
4. Southeaster of VT http://goo.gl/maps/8g9TJ (again, inspired by Jacky's thread)

big picture link http://www.allkeeper.com/images/view/94778

Any recommendation or suggestion?
Thanks in advance
JC

pwt54

Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:18 am

If you want a base to travel from, it should be the Killington/Rutland area. Rooms may be cheaper in Rutland. This will put you a short drive from the best colors and drives. I really recommend doing route 100 early in your tour.
I see you have 2 open days. You should do the Peacham area on one of those days.

jcmaxwell37

Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:02 am

Thanks pwt54,
I have secured 2 nights at the inn near killington already :D
And my following plan is to take Mohawk trail as per ctyanky recommendation and head toward Boston at the end.
I may have to give Kent and Berkshire a miss this time.

As now my plan is getting better, can I ask here for any recommendation on food, restaurant, beer (or wine but still preferred local beer) or any small festival along the way?

Thanks in advance
JC

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:15 am

jc: I think you mentioned that you were heading to Bahston (Boston) to see your friends so I would suggest that you take a bottle of Cowtippers white wine from Boyden Winery and IF you can find a six pack of Heady Topper beer from the Alchemist in Waterbury, bring that too. It is rated #1 in the country as the best beer (or maybe the world) and I tried finding it yesterday but to no avail.

I'll try to get look again on my remaining day trips but it is difficult to get. I heard some folks are selling it on Craigslist. That's crazy! Good luck! :wink: Here is an article from one of my favorite websites on Heady Topper - it is read thru succeeding pages as in (next)....

http://www.boston.com/travel/new-englan ... llery.html

http://www.boydenvalley.com/cowtipper.html

jcmaxwell37

Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:50 pm

dear ctyanky and mmvt,
again and again thanks so much for your kind infos.

I first hear about Heady Topper beer and decide to hunt it down for sure. :D

wish you all the best :mrgreen:
JC

ctyanky
Board Admin

Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:20 am

:lol: If you find any Heady Topper without any trouble let me know where you got it! I'll be up a couple more times for day trips! Can't wait to hear all about your Vermont travels!

jcmaxwell37

Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:21 am

Dear ctyanky,
I saw on their website that on Monday, they will ship to the shop around Montpelier.
Hopefully I will reach there on time, stand in line and grab some :shock:
JC

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:28 pm

JC! I know you are leaving this weekend for your long awaited trip to Vermont! I saw in your very first post that you arrive in CT on Saturday for your first overnight. You will be driving up interstate 84 and should see some nice colors in the northern part of CT right off the highway up to the Mass Pike.

I wish you a splendid and safe trip and I hope all the information you received on this forum will help you have the best time ever! Your posts were so fun to read and you were so receptive to everyone's suggestions! Please keep us updated as to all your adventures and welcome to Vermont!!!! :D

Don't forget to get that Heady Topper Beer and Cowtipper Wine to give to your Bahston friends!!!!! :mrgreen:

jcmaxwell37

Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:26 pm

Dear ctyanky,
Thank you for your kindness, yes am I leaving for USA tomorrow night (Sat 5, Oct) it will be 20+ hrs flight but my hearth is already there :D

As I saw many report coming up, I think even Killington area that I plan to use as a base maybe already pass peak??? need advice on this. I will go as north as Montpellier just for a beer and ben&jerry ice cream only. Should I stick to more southern part?

Thanks
JC

snowboarder

Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:44 am

JC don't go further North than Manchester. Hopefully your bookings are flexible as I advised you before LOL.
Stay in Bennington or N. Adams. Focus on 7A and 9 + the areas in Northern MA and NY State, around Northern part
of Taconic State Parkway. It's pretty amazing right now, much cleaner colors than anything in Vermont.
Drive up North to Manchester should be still nice and Manchester is great.
Skip silly Ben&Jerry thing, it's awfully touristy with buses full of retired guys coming every 15 minutes.
Manchester is so much prettier, real charm. Stop worrying too much about the specific recommendations given here,
just take any side road your heart will tell you to take, it will probably be nicer than anything mentioned here.
But don't bother going up North, it's almost completely gone.

snowboarder

Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:00 pm

I know there is still color, but the "freshness" level decreased dramatically. Comparing to RT 9
or North Taconinc Pkwy - no contest. The problem is that many areas which still have green trees
are widely affected by a high percentage of brown/dry leaves, so even if those specific green trees
get more colorful, it will not be as fresh as many visitors are hoping for.

Lorilooo

Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:52 am

I agree, abby. Having always lived in New England, I've seen many 'shades' of beautiful foliage. One of my most favorite, actually, is a foggy morning. Just as the fog begins to lift and all you see is the lower half of trees, the contrast between gorgeous color and fog draping the rest of the tree can be stunning and make for some awesome photos! As I mentioned in another thread, individual trees are a treasure too. It was also mentioned by another person here, to look up into the canopy of a tree. Beautiful colors and photo ops abound! Search out every little treasure along the way, and you WILL be rewarded! It is not always about long vistas and having to hit peak everywhere. Don't stress yourselves out, just breathe deep and enjoy it all! :)