STOWE REPORT--GONDOLA--TOLL ROAD--SMUGGLERS NOTCH

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

exgem54

STOWE REPORT--GONDOLA--TOLL ROAD--SMUGGLERS NOTCH

Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:12 pm

RT 108 into Smugglers Notch, the Best road in Vermont, forgot how beautiful it was--Then we took Toll Rd for first time, views near the top are amazing--coming back, some nice color--took the STOWE GONDOLA for the first time, never been on a Gondola before--It was a fantastic experience, viewing the fall colors while being carried up Mt Mansfield--staying at the Inn Of The Mountain on route 108, mountain views--some nice color on 108, 100 very spotty--coming across Rt 15 this morning, very spotty color--not much color on way to Von Trapp--but south of Stowe, take Moscow rd, then to Barrows road, which has nice color--Cider donuts in Waterbury at Cold Hollow Cider Mill, they were warm and the best we've had--What a great day we had today!

pwt54

Re: STOWE REPORT--GONDOLA--TOLL ROAD--SMUGGLERS NOTCH

Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:36 pm

Route 15 from Jeffersonville to Hyde Park was fogged in the night of the frost last week, so the colors are not as advanced as route 15 east from Hyde Park to Walden. Colors in that area were near peak.

Utah Baker

Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:48 pm

Now you've gone and done it.......you had to go and mention warm cider donuts from Cold Hollow, next there will be the maple creemee's, cheeses tasting, assorted jams, jellies and chutney's, oh and lets not forget the world's best apple cider! My misery is complete! :roll:

Utah Baker

Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:21 pm

All buckled in..........take me there! Thanks Carol! :D

courtmel

Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:42 pm

We returned from Stowe Tuesday and I have never experienced more vibrant reds and oranges! The foliage this season is breath-taking to say the least. I only wished we could have stayed a bit longer. Rte 108 is the road! Loved the Stowe area after years of being in Killington. Everywhere we went it just got better and better; except in Massachusetts!!! :roll: If Mother Nature can do this again next year that's all I'll ask for; for now... :) :) :)
autumn leaf

equinox71

Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:30 am

...courtmel, my sentiments exactly!! :) Was stunned by the Mt. Mansfield/ Stowe area over the weekend of Sept. 27-29.
Thankful that we who were there were all so fortunate.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:24 pm

courtmel: the more I go to Stowe, the more I love it! It is a vibrant and fun-filled town and the back roads there, thanks to pwt and bm, were some of the nicest I've ever been on.

Where else did you drive around besides 108? Did you get to Pleasant Valley Road or Belvidere Pond?

Glad your trip was a success!

(Now that you are back in CT don't forget to drive up to the NW corner of the state where I spend most of my time, as it is nearing peak now. Columbus Day Weekend is promising to be the best time for color and I'll be there one day for the Salisbury Fall Foliage Festival and one day for the 100th anniversary celebration of the Cornwall covered bridge!)