Most stunning tree tunnels

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

snowboarder

Most stunning tree tunnels

Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:15 am

Guys, I can't thank you enough for all the info posted here. I went through everything and have a good idea
where to go. I changed my reservations several times, thanks!
Amazing tree tunnels are my favorite photographic subject. I found a few locations mentioned here,
but would love more. I much prefer closed framing than open vistas.

Can you share some specific places you remember? I'm coming this weekend and will focus on
NEK/Eastern townships first and then later a bit on Central/Southern VT. I'm basically following your tips
from "BEST SCENIC VIEWS/MUST SEE SPOTS!" and "GREAT VERMONT DRIVING ROUTES" :lol:

Andrew

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: Most stunning tree tunnels

Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:33 am

Hi Andrew: I agree with Carol on Hazens Notch Road. Last year it was unbelievable in color! Fully canopied most of the way. I think a lot of the forum members have been on it and would concur.

The other road I would suggest is the Upper Notch Road off the Lincoln Ripton Road. It ends in Bristol at 116 I'm pretty sure.

Last year I took a ride that was the icing on the cake for a canopied dirt road the whole way off of 125! I have to find the post! I'll submit it later! You won't be disappointed! :)

ctyanky
Board Admin

Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:01 pm

Andrew: I found my post with the nicest "tree tunnel" as you call it from last year on my ride with bm, moderator. It was the Natural Turnpike from start to finish ending at 125. I get a little crazy in foliage season in VT so read with calm! :roll:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3180

minnesotaman

Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:02 pm

One of best I know is on the road from Newfane to South Wardsboro. It is about midway, a few hundred yards after a large barn that is on the right hand (north) side of the road. There are several gentleman farmer houses and barns in the vicinity, but no one is ever there. Each side of the road is flanked by large mature maples planted by some thoughtful farmer a long time ago. Peak is difficult to predict. Notwithstanding the southern location the peak can be as early as first week in October, or as late as around the 12th. From the crest, just after the barn, there is a great shot looking downhill, into the tunnel. No one is ever there. Great shots on a sunny day. There are also some good opportunities from the southern side of this road, once in the tunnel, looking to the southeast, long repeated ranges of hills, perhaps six or seven of them. And in the fields along the road in the vicinity of the tunnel you will find some very peculiar man made structures, more in the nature sculpture, build out of loose stones.

A leaf tunnel everyone seems to know, and to photograph, is on the Common Road above Waitsfield. Go up out of Waitsfield on the E. Warren Road, past the Round Barn Farm and to Common Road, which comes in from the north. Go down the Common Road about two or three hundred yards and turn around. This is an impressive tunnel, the far end of which is a perfect semicircle formed by maples. The effect, looking back down this road, is very striking. From this vantage point the semicircle at the end is open to the sky, and lights up. This road will not likely peak for a few weeks.

kcflanders

Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:29 pm

I'm curious if anyone knows of tree tunnels over railroad tracks? or better yet abandoned tracks?
Maybe the tracks near Concord??? Anyone know if the rails were removed?

fallguy

Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:32 pm

Here are two I came across last year:
TreeTunnel1.jpg
On Gore Road between Route 111 and Holland Valley Rd. near Morgan.
TreeTunnel1.jpg (121.16 KiB) Viewed 17986 times
TreeTunnel2.jpg
Lottery road in Shrewsbury taken from the church parking lot
TreeTunnel2.jpg (139.55 KiB) Viewed 17986 times

jcmaxwell37

Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:39 pm

This is a great thread, I will add tree tunnel to my list also :)
JC

snowboarder

Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:14 am

Thank you!
I think I will try Darling Hill Road in Lyndonville/East Burke and Hazens Notch Road this Friday :D
Can't wait.
Not gonna jinx it!!! but the forecast for next 10 days looks AMAZING!!!!!

I'm gonna post live updates and some photos for you guys. Hoping for the same from anyone
on location. Any amazing find - please share!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:38 am

snowboarder: The Popple Dungeon Road in Chester to Andover should be beautiful during your stay! I was there last weekend and it was really filling in with yellow and gold trees canopying the entire way! It is a long and windy paved and unpaved road that goes on forever until it reaches 11 in Andover. Take 35 south out of Chester. If you want a lasting tree tunnel this might be a nice pick for you! Enjoy! :D

snowboarder

Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:45 am

CT, you think it will be ready that much South this Friday? Wow, that would make me crazy,
so many more places to consider :lol:
I'm gonna check it out and if it's not ready, will come back a couple of days later.

Thnks for keeping us updated CT!
Last edited by snowboarder on Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:01 pm

Snowboarder: It was really coming along when I was there, much much more than anything around Chester, but I'll email bv today who is going up to his house in Chester this weekend and have him ascertain the foliage! Stay tuned. You will totally love the road! Check it out on your Jimapco or Cartographic or Delorme. :D

ctyanky
Board Admin

Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:48 pm

Andrew: I got an email from bv. The Popple Dungeon is in mid peak for this weekend. He thinks by Oct 5 it will be full peak. Last weekend the colors were coming along nicely like I mentioned. Are you going to be around that area the first weekend in October or at least the end of next week? You'll love it! There is a road off of it called "Nudist Camp Road" which you will see on your map but we didn't dare take it! :lol: I'm not THAT adventurous! It was a long dead end into nowhere and after doing Radar Road in the Victory Bog, some roads just scare me. :wink:

I really hope you can do the Natural Turnpike off 125 from north to south. It's a stunner!

kcflanders

Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:08 pm

ctyanky wrote: It was a long dead end into nowhere and after doing Radar Road in the Victory Bog, some roads just scare me. :wink:
Sorry, a bit off topic, but did you see the house that is covered with license plates in Victory? The bog looks nice and since it's right there, I considered stopping for a look.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:01 pm

hmmmm, now it's been a couple of years since I was in Victory and the bog and Guildhall but I "may" have seen it. Or maybe someone posted a photo somewhere online and that's in my memory! :roll:

Regardless, I spent many hours looking for moose in the bog both times. Nada. I was certain if I were to see one, that would be the spot. Poor Phil, trying his best to search every part of the bog. Instead, he made me go with him on Radar Road. Never again! It was getting towards dusk and I was certain something was going to come out of the woods. So desolate! Have you tried that road?

It was quite beautiful in that whole area! What a nice ride in! Anyone else been there?

snowboarder

Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:56 pm

Thanks for the update CT!
In this case I think we'll skip it on Friday and drive straight up to NEK.
I'm staying until Oct 5th and can travel anywhere on every day.

Will follow the forum and according to your reports, we'll come down
when it's gonna be the best :D