FOLIAGE FEVER!!!

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

FOLIAGE FEVER!!!

Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:18 pm

Mother Nature has graced New England with a true taste of autumn today! Seriously, this weather is making me crave autumn in a bad way and I just can't wait for the cold to start drifting in tomorrow night and whoa, Friday morning in the 30's and 40's???? :shock: Today was a top ten day here and not even 70 under cloudless, blue skies and a slight breeze. What a tease!

I know this is crazy but I am almost packed for my Vermont trip and I'll be on my way in 3 weeks! :shock: It was sooooo hot and humid here Sunday and Monday I decided to get the packing done except for a few things! I'm ready to hit the road to Vermont!

My fall wreath is on the door and my mums are cascading down the front steps. Pumpkins are next!

Is anyone else starting to get the fever :?: Put it out there :!: :!: :!: :lol:
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

shyu

Re: FOLIAGE FEVER!!!

Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:41 am

I bought my ticket, reserved my rental car, booked my lodging, I'm coming to Vermont this fall foliage season. I'll have a week from October 1 to October 8 -- I'm very exciting !!

sharan

Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:47 am

I have spent hours and hours planning our trip and mapping out our route. Four weeks and two days before we leave for the beautiful (and cool) states of Vermont and New Hampshire. It has been close to 100 degrees every day for the last few weeks. I am also super excited!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:19 pm

mmvt: so, you added some days onto an already "extended" VT trip? hmmmm. Now I am REALLLLLLY envious! That seems like the longest you have ever stayed! I am thinking of going up a day earlier if I can get squared away faster and arrive before dusk on the 26th. Loved your "hallucination" scenario. That really sums it up!!! 8)

sharan: I am so excited for you! The cool weather came in this afternoon on a soft breeze and the temperature was dropping quickly. I hope you stay tuned on the forum and let us in on all the excitement that is building for you over the coming weeks and continue to ask away. You have some great questions and we love to answer them! Also, please continue to sign in during your trip!

shyu: Great news that you are coming to Vermont! You'll be in VT during a "prime" week! Let us know how your trip is going when you get here. Being from Cali, I am sure you are used to those great, sunny azure blue, cloudless skies and no humidity. Just wait till you add in some awesome foliage color on top of all that!

Carol (abby): My foliage Vermont partner in crime.... I can't wait to start our Thelma and Louise adventures on the farm! The two of us together can be quite over the top in our excitement! Your fever ain't goin' down any time soon, as long as I am around! :mrgreen:

shyu

Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:48 am

Strangely, this is the first year folks here experiencing a "humid" summer. We basically never "sweat" no matter how high the temperature reads. But last several days, It was miserable -- I sweat like a pig. The weather surely feels stranger and stranger.

I guess I am addicted to Sugar Maple. As you folks know, Vermont has the most concentration of sugar maple in the world. It doesn't hurt that Vermont is such a beautiful place. That's why every few years, I must answer the call and make my long, long journey back.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:36 am

mmvt: The "ultimate" cure for foliage fever is being in Vermont in autumn! Your fever may rise a bit when you cross the border on 9/27 and that smile on your face appears out of nowhere, you suddenly feel relaxed and excited at the same time. It will spike here and there during your trip when you see blue sky, red, burgundy, gold, amber, orange colored leaves with contrasts of greens and browns and whites, and realize you are NOT hallucinating! 8)

P.S. Remind me not to wear flip flops anymore on an early morning walk. Could have used gloves too! BRRRRR! What a sparkling, autumn day today! The colors should really be moving along soon! Spending the day in the north of the state visiting farms and enjoying back roads! Time for pumpkins, gourds, and apple picking!

FEVER IS RISING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock:

shyu

Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:01 pm

Hi, Carol(Abby):
From October 1 to 4, I will be base on Burlington. I figure I can take 89 every morning before sunrise, quickly branch off to Highway 100 North and south, 108, 12, 14, 15, 2, 5, 5A, 16, 114, 232, 302. . .then get lost blissfully on all the back roads. At night, I plan to spend time at University of Vermont Library and hope to use their computer to read foliage updates from you ladies/gentlemen on this forum.

From October 5 to 8, I will move south and base on Woodstock. From there, I am closer to explore the GAP roads, Warren, Waitesfield, Killington, Barnard, Pomfret, and Strafford, Turnbridge, Orange. . .I am familiar with all points south of Highway 4 (Why? Because I came 2nd week of October in my past 4 visits). This year I decided to come earlier. I want to concentrate my limited time to all points north of highway 4.

What If my plan doesn't pan out 100 percent (like 2010 due to storm)? No problem, it just gives me an executes to come back. Believe me, even in 2010, I managed to crank out hundreads of pictures to show folks back home.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:02 pm

Foliage fever back up! It is going to be a blissful "fall preview" weekend here in the New England with cool nights and bright, sunshiny sparkling days! Just a perfect potion for Mother Nature to spread her magic over our trees!

I'm packed and ready to leave in less than 2 weeks! I just can't wait to cross the border into Vermont! I love stopping at the VT Welcome Center in Guilford and the one just when you get going on 89 (Sharon?). The employees at both are great, the places are spotless and there is soooo much info, maps, flyers, brochures, etc. I feel like I am truly starting my foliage vacation when I make these my first and second stops until I get to my inn!

The first day of autumn is now just a week from this Sunday! Hope you all are getting excited for your VT foliage adventures! 8)

ctyanky
Board Admin

Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:37 am

There is frost on the cars, the clear sky is full of stars and a waning moon, it smells like autumn leaves and I will be leaving for Vermont tomorrow! I'm so excited! My fever is peaking! Can't wait to cross the border tomorrow and beep my horn at the Welcome To Vermont sign! :lol:

Let the fun begin! :wink:

Utah Baker

Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:47 pm

Can't wait for your first report! Stay settled and drive safe.....yippee!!!!