Oct 8th, 2012 Report

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

markm

Oct 8th, 2012 Report

Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:12 pm

Hi all,
Well, after doing a 13 hour day trip up to Vt I am ready to share some info. Keep in mind this is from a photographer's point of view...
I left the house at 4:45 am from SE MA hoping to arrive at my first planned photo shoot at 8 AM.
First up was Jenne Farm in Reading VT. As I entered the VT state line, clouds were everywhere with a slight mist. (The weather channels called for SUN!) I took Rt 44 W through Brownsville and then headed up N on 106. While on 44 W I managed to find several bubbling brooks to take some long exposures.
After finding Jenne Farm, I took a lot of pictures from different spots. This was my first time there. I'd like to return there again when the lighting was better and foliage season is earlier as well. Still a bunch of yellow and orange here and there, but leaves were falling all around me.
From there, I headed up N towards Woodstock and searched for Cloudland Rd. By now the Sun was peeking through the clouds as I drove up this nice road. It was slim pickings to find a nice subject to use with foliage, but that's what made it fun and challenging for me. There were areas that contained foliage, but some that didn't. It was like an adventure and challenge to find a photo spot and have good lighting mixed together.
From there I headed more North towards N Pomfret, Sharon, and finally Strafford Via Rt 14 and Rt 132.
Strafford reminds me a little like Peacham.
Whatever color is left seemed to be mostly yellows and oranges in these towns. A mix of bare trees, colors, and evergreens best describes the landscape in general.
It seems I either get to Vt too early or too late whenever I get up there! :( So, no foliasms today :lol:
I will try to get my pictures I took today into a slide show and post it here sometime this week if anyone is interested.
I'll be happy to answer any questions...

Mark
Last edited by markm on Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: Oct 8th, 2012 Report

Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:22 pm

Hi Mark: Thanks for posting this great report. Phil and I took Cloudland Road all the way up and it was beautiful. It's one of my favorite roads and Strafford has to be my favorite town! Can't wait to see your photos in a slideshow and I hope you get them up real soon!

Sorry about the lack of foliasms. :roll: Get up there earlier next year if possible! :D

P.S. NW CT is approaching peak. Should be great this coming weekend if you travel over here. Same for the NE corner....

markm

Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:47 pm

Hey Thanks for the reply and the heads-up for NW CT. I'm thinking about seeing Kent, Ct.
I wll try to get my photos from today up soon before next weekend, stay tuned...

ctyanky
Board Admin

Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:21 am

Hi Mark: Kent should be great this weekend but after that, I am not confident. I'm going myself on Saturday. There is a big festival in town. There are some great backroads in South Kent that I'll send you later!

lirwin13

Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:57 am

Thanks for posting this report. I was thinking of a day trip to the Woodstock area from NE Mass next weekend, but it sounds like the colors may be pretty well gone by then. Back to the drawing board...

Andy

Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:41 am

In my experience, Strafford is one of the places - like Waits River/East Corinth area where color turns early. Haven't looked it up on my topo map but would get its partly due to elevation. Surprising to me as it is so much further south than Peacham which alway seems to hold its color later.

Will be interested to see your Strafford images. Definitely on my list in better light than when I was there.
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

Utah Baker

Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:02 am

Looking forward to any and all reports as we fly out tommorrow morning, realizing we may be in for a pleasant, but quiet, "stick season"! :?