Mapping Out Locations - Can Anyone Help?

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ziggy_423

Mapping Out Locations - Can Anyone Help?

Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:46 am

Got my Jimapco and spent 3 hours last night with pages and pages of printed info off here to map out routes. A little more work than I thought it would be! It's so hard to do when you have absolutely not a clue where any of these roads are and look up in the index and follow coordinates. I only pulled out half of my hair in frustration LOL I only got a few mapped out in that time and I didn't even start hooking them together yet. 3 am came too quick! ha!

I'm trying to recall if there are any links on here that someone mapped it out on Google Maps or similar? Just a general area and then I can map it on my Jimapco would be a HUUUUGE help. Thank you everyone!

ixl

Re: Mapping Out Locations - Can Anyone Help?

Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:02 am

Can only tell you the process I follow:

1. Get in the car.
2. Drive.

The best spots will be the ones you don't plan on. Seriously.

Hopefully someone else can give you a more tangible answer on specific routes. :) Good luck.
Charles Kozierok - DesktopScenes.com

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

ziggy_423

Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:15 am

Ok! We can do that! I did map out one big section last night and for the life of me could not find Sheffield Heights. Found Sheffield and Heights Rd, but not Sheffiedl Heights.

From_the_NEK

Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:06 am

Sheffield Heights doesn't really exist as a road or anything on a map. It is the local name for the highland area between Sheffield village and Glover/Barton. You can reach this area by driving along Vt Rt 122 (and/or I-91).
On the Glover side I believe it is named Heights Rd.

pwt54

Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:10 pm

Check out my " Peacham & Groton" post. Later this week hit that area with a vengence. Great color and will be peaking anytime now.

ziggy_423

Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:21 pm

Thanks everyone! We took 12 up from Montpelier to Lake Elmore, up 100 to 118 and 109 back down to Stowe, but it got so dark so early from the gloomy weather today, but everything we saw was BEAUTIFUL! Our favorite was Minister Brook Rd off of 12 - AMAZING AMAZING AMAZING!! LOVED Crooks Rd as well. Got great shots of a farmer taking his cows over the dirt road. AND my absolute favorite was seeing what I thought was Scottish Highlands off of 100, but may have been yaks? Even my farm raised husband wasn't sure, but I got so many shots of them and was ECSTATIC :) I would upload photos, but I shoot RAW and this little netbook couldn't handle downloading even one of them - ha! I promise I will post when I get home. So glad I rented a wide angle lens :)

ctyanky
Board Admin

Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:25 pm

ziggy: so excited to hear your report and that you are very happy with all your travels! Please give us feedback each day of your routes and adventures because the excitement in your posts is wonderful! :D

ziggy_423

Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:43 pm

:lol: I was clapping and jumping up and down like a little kid over the yaks saying "this is the best day EVER!!" haha my poor husband ;)

faxmachineanthem

Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:50 pm

A couple years ago, when I had a lot more time on my hands than I do now, I found GPS coordinates for a bunch of roads/locations recommended on this forum. Hope this helps!

http://www.pbpub.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=11766
ziggy_423 wrote:Got my Jimapco and spent 3 hours last night with pages and pages of printed info off here to map out routes. A little more work than I thought it would be! It's so hard to do when you have absolutely not a clue where any of these roads are and look up in the index and follow coordinates. I only pulled out half of my hair in frustration LOL I only got a few mapped out in that time and I didn't even start hooking them together yet. 3 am came too quick! ha!

I'm trying to recall if there are any links on here that someone mapped it out on Google Maps or similar? Just a general area and then I can map it on my Jimapco would be a HUUUUGE help. Thank you everyone!

ziggy_423

Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:35 pm

WOW WOW WOW - thank you for this! You're absolutely amazing for sharing this with everyone!