NY Adirondacks - Worth Driving Through?

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ziggy_423

NY Adirondacks - Worth Driving Through?

Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:34 am

Coming from IL and just happened to read an article about how beautiful it is there. I don't know if it's something you can just "drive through" or a thing about it. We've never been farther East than Michigan - ha! We always go West, so I'm totally clueless here. Any info? We are staying in Niagara tomorrow night and then driving to Stowe the following day and thought we could go through there.

CongaJon

Re: NY Adirondacks - Worth Driving Through?

Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:30 am

I might be a little biased because I live very near there, but it's looking pretty good this year. It's not much out of your way, so I would say go for it! That's where I'll catch the (rainy) morning light on my way to the NEK today. What route are you coming in from?

Jon

autzig

Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:11 am

By all means, drive through the Adirondacks. We drove to Vermont from Minnesota some years ago and included the Adirondacks in our tour. Very well worth it. We particularly liked the area around Saranac Lake and Lake Placid.

Al

ziggy_423

Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:30 am

I'm not even sure, Jon. Any suggestions? We are staying in Niagara tonight and heading towards Stowe Sunday.

ixl

Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:31 am

I would.
Charles Kozierok - DesktopScenes.com

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

autzig

Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:55 am

Do you have Sunday reservations in Stowe? It is a long drive from Niagara Falls to Stowe. According to Mapquest its 480 miles and 9 1/2 hours if you take the scenic route through the Adirondacks. I suggest you go east on I90 to Utica and then north to Saranac Lake, through Lake Placid and go into Vermont at the south end of Lake Champlain. It is approximately 6 and a half hours from Niagara to Saranac Lake and another three hours to Stowe.

The drive through the Adirondacks will add about 1 and half hours of driving time compared to taking the freeways.

Al

ixl

Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:10 am

.. and that''s not taking into account traffic from fellow leaf-peepers.
Charles Kozierok - DesktopScenes.com

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

ziggy_423

Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:55 am

We are going from Niagara to Stowe, yep. It will seem like a short trip compared to the 13 hours we're driving from home to Niagara straight through the day before ;) Don't worry - my parents trained me well when they threw us 3 kids in the back of a Chevy Caprice and drove 20+ hours straight when we were younger. Worst part was dad trying to beat his time from last and I swear we never stopped to pee once ;)

Karma2x

Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:06 pm

The Lake Placid / Lake Saranac / High Peaks region of the Adirondacks is spectacular in autumn, and from all the foliage forecasts this year is pretty good. Although it might be worth it to drive through, to really get the impact of this area you have to stop and spend a few days camping and hiking around. There are some great trails/overlooks with amazing views, lots of water bodies and more variegated foliage.

CongaJon

Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:57 pm

Sorry for the delay, I just now got home from NEK/Stowe. It's gorgeous!!! The High Peaks area is very nice, but it's a haul from the thruway. Here's a closer route that I can vouch for, having been in that area last week: From Utica, take 12 north to 28. Take 28 all the way to Wevertown then grab 9 across to 87 south. Go past Lake George and take 149 to Fort Ann. Take 4 up to 22 and make your way over to VT. It's a nice ride and I can tell you that the foliage will be good along most, if not all of the route. Whatever you do, stay away from the madness that is Warrensburg on their huge Garage Sale weekend! When in Stowe, be sure to go up Smuggler's Notch. You have never seen a road like that one...

Jon

DCE Nebraska

Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:29 am

I live in Nebraska and have been to Vermont for the fall foliage for the years from 1997 to 2008. Most of the time, we would go through the Adirondacks by turning off the New York Thruway at Utica and heading north on highway 28. We would continue to Old Forge and Mountain Lake and then head over to Lake George. If one goes above Ticonderoga to Port Henry, it would be a short cut to go on the Stowe. We have also gone up to Lake Placid and then over to Vermont. What you will see will be more reds and magentas along with orange than one views in Vermont. It is very beautiful and since it is higher elevation, foliage turns earlier than at lower elevations. So if you are traveling East from Niagara, Utica would be a good place to turn north and go through the Adirondacks. Have a great time as the Fall foliage trips are the best. You will really enjoy the quaint villages and towns plus many of the backroads. There are some experts on this forum who are excellent advisers.

pwt54

Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:29 pm

The Adirondacks are worth the drive. I think the ride that DCE Nebraska mapped out, route 28 from Utica is a good one. The area of the Adirondacks next to Lake Champlain will still be early. It's a warmer climate there.

vtluvr93

Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:54 pm

A very nice scenic drive from the falls would be Route 104 westbound and drive along the shoreline of Lake Ontario and take it to Rte 81 North to Watertown. Exit onto Rte 3 eastbound and drive thru the Adirondacks from Cranberry Lake until you reach Lake Champlain . This is an AWESOME drive and really see some very pretty sights. Take the ferry across Lake Champlain into Burlington and head to Stowe from there. Hope this helps