How's the south these days?

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

Lmsalcito

How's the south these days?

Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:10 pm

Hey Y'all, survived yet another hurricane in the state of " sunshine " . How are my leaves??? I can't wait..again my dates are 10/11-16 and would like to know if the Ludlow/Okemo area is the place to be on those dates? .. and how things are progressing.. maybe you can tell as we are getting closer...What about the elevation.?? Is that a factor.?.. Is it better to be in a lower area? I read all of these posts and it is kind confusing... High.. Low.... east, west..what about the Lake Bomoseen thing? I think PWT said that wouldn't be preferable. Have any of you heard of the GOlden Stage Inn, in Ludlow...? Or the Edgewater at Lake Bomoseen?? The owners always tell you that the best foliage is when you are checking in , so that is nerve wracking....Please give me some up to date scoop. Thanks Lisa

ixl

Re: How's the south these days?

Mon Sep 27, 2004 6:16 pm

I'm not familiar with that particular area but my guess is that the color will be good then. I'll be going through the area next week and will post a report then. --c
Charles Kozierok - DesktopScenes.com

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

Lmsalcito

Mon Sep 27, 2004 7:54 pm

You see.. I am now reading the Mount Snow area is 7-10 days away from peak.. aprox. So how is the Ludlow area going to be on the 11-16.. It seems that I need to go more south.. I found plenty of cute places near Mt. Snow.. but I don't know....It is very confusing. I can stay in any area..I just want the best bet for the time frame. Thanks.

ixl

Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:01 pm

If you mean you read about the 7-10 days on this forum, that was me. ;) It was just a guess, to be honest. The area where I am, on the other side of the mountain, usually peaks a bit before the side where the resort is. I haven't seen what the color is like there, though I passed through Wilmington and the color seemed to be "on the way".

It may be a bit late for Mt. Snow. Why don't you try calling them and asking what it is like there now? I am sure they would be willing to help you.

If you are concerned, try staying in the Manchester area instead... it should be just about perfect there in that time-frame. --c
Charles Kozierok - DesktopScenes.com

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

pwt54

Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:04 am

If IXL is right and he usually is peak foliage should be about OCT.7. It usaully last 3-5 days depending on the weather. And from Mt. Snow you can reach the southeastern and southwestern areas in less than an hour where the foliage will be peaking. I'd go the Mt. Snow area.

Lmsalcito

Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:15 am

So you think the higher elevations are out? Or will it matter if we are more South.? OR should we just stay east or west out of the elevation? What does it look like to you at this point? How would like Chester be? What is the scoop on Lake Bomoseen? we want quaint villages, shops , cafe's Beautiful color and pretty drives and hikes. Will the Woodstock/Queche area be too late? not to stay but to visit?

pwt54

Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:29 pm

Lake Bomoseen will be just about done by then. The reason I recommend Mt. Snow is that it is between the southeast and the south west. You can explore one side then the other side and save driving time. Chester should have good color and that area between Chester and Brattleboro has some great small villages, especially Grafton and Saxtons river.

Lmsalcito

Tue Sep 28, 2004 1:24 pm

Thanks so much for your input.
Will the quechee area be good?? Woodstock?? Has anyone heard of the Golden Stage inn, in Proctorsville? Would that area be good ? Or shall we stick to from Chester South?

pwt54

Tue Sep 28, 2004 5:31 pm

Stick with Chester and south.

Lmsalcito

Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:55 am

OK.. Thanks..