Excursion Planning

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

RIMHfire

Excursion Planning

Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:07 pm

Hello all! I will be in White River Junction Oct. 8-10 and hoping the foliage will still be pretty good. Will I have any luck with timing?

I know Woodstock and Queechee are nearby and plan on stopping by, but what other places should I hit up while I'm in the area? I'm also looking for some great scenic roads to take pictures near the area. I did the famed Cloudland Road one year, but was disappointed because we were either too early or too late for nice foliage, so I'd like to try it again. How would I get there from Woodstock? I'd appreciate it.

Any maple syrup, farm stands, or other nice places I should stop and visit while I'm nearby? I'm always up for some good food. :mrgreen:

Snookman2

Re: Excursion Planning

Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:21 pm

Hi RIMHfire, you helped me in my thread, maybe I can return the favor. This is my first trip to Vermont but I've done major research on places to eat. I'm staying in Woodstock and here are a couple places where we'll be dining:

Barnard Inn: north of woodstock in barnard http://barnardinn.com/
Cloudland Farm: located on cloudland road (family style farm dinners thursday nights and 3 course dinners fri/sat nights) http://www.cloudlandfarm.com/FarmDinners2.html
Inn at Weathersfield: south of woodstock http://www.weathersfieldinn.com/webpages/dining.htm

You can always check tripadvisor for reviews of restaurants and chowhound might have some recs too.

pwt54

Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:09 pm

Rimfire; The Cloudland Road is still closed. It might be open when you get here. Last week I took the Pomfret Road off route 12 to Hewett's Corners. There are some possibilities at the Corners. Check the barn behind Moore's Maple and Apple farm.

Andy

Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:33 pm

Rimfire: I am confused by your comment that you did Cloudland Road once and were either too early or too late for good foliage?
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

RIMHfire

Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:07 am

pwt54: Thanks for the heads up. I'm a little confused where Moore's is though. Is it on Cloudland Road?

Andy: I went to the Woodstock area last year around Columbus Day weekend and I drove on Cloudland Road, that's why I want to do it again. I was disappointed with the color because I think everything was past peak at the point.

pwt54

Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:14 pm

The Moore's Maple and Apple Farm is on the Pomfret Road at Hewett's Corners. There is a sign on their lawn.