Driving route suggestion?

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

Susan2004

Driving route suggestion?

Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:26 am

Ok, so I admit this is not a foliage question. But I couldn't think of a more knowledgeable bunch when it comes to knowing Vermont roads so I'm going to ask anyway.

A good friend's daughter graduated from college and moved to Burlington from central NY yesterday for her first job. The family is VERY close, so more than likely there will be a lot of Syracuse, NY area to Burlington travel happening. What's the safest route for travel to Burlington from central NY if anyone knows?

I suggested taking the NYS thruway, exiting in Amsterdam, over through to Saratoga Springs to catch Rt. 87 then into VT and up Rt. 7 or over through Whitehall, NY to Rutland and Rt. 4 to Rt 89 and up.

They took Rt. 7 yesterday and thought it was beautiful, but then also ran into the crazy traffic on Rt. 7 South of Burlington that really extended the length of the trip and thought that Rt. 7 was too hilly for a safe drive during the winter.

My concern with Rt. 4 to Rt 89 is that you have to go over Killington Mtn, yes? Also not the easiest drive in poor weather.

Any other suggestions? I know...hilly everywhere in Vermont. But still, some locals thoughts on safest routes in the winter would be great. Thanks!

Andy

Re: Driving route suggestion?

Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:24 pm

I agree with mmvt. I drove from Rochester area to Burlington many times back in the day. The route you indicated is probably the "best" route. Going all the way over to 89 is waaaaaay out of the way.
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

pwt54

Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:56 am

Route US 4 from Rutland to Bridgewater can be real nasty in the winter. Route US 7 is a well kept road in the winter. After 40 years of driving VT roads, I can tell you that route US 7 to Burlington is much better than US 4 to Woodstock in the winter.

Susan2004

Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:22 am

Thank you! They appreciated the feedback.