Please advise where to find loons

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

Aspen

Please advise where to find loons

Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:35 pm

Have never seen a loon in the wild. Would appreciate some locals and birdwatchers' advise as to where and how one may find loons in Vermont.

Aspen

BostonRott

Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:02 pm

I don't know if they stick around for the winter or not, but in the summer, they' can be found in Lake Ninevah, near the intersection of Rtes 103 and 100.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=lake+nine ... 54324&z=13
Gretchen

ixl

Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:54 am

I have seen them several times at Grout Pond in southern VT, but that's rather off the beaten path unless you're planning to be in that area.
Charles Kozierok - DesktopScenes.com

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

From_the_NEK

Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:35 am

Almost every one of the the smaller Northern VT Lakes/Ponds have loons. Newark Pond, Long Pond, Jobs Pond, May Pond, Kettle Pond (Groton), and many more. Sometimes you need a Kayak or Canoe to get to the part of the waterbody they hang out in. Just don't get to close.

Aspen

Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:01 pm

Thanks BostonRott, Abby, Ixl, NEK and BM for your suggestions of some locations where loons may be found. If nearby any of the mentioned ponds or lakes, will be on the lookout for them. Would love so for Ctyanky to finally see a moose on the loose and I see a loon; soon!
May all of you see something special this foliage season!
Aspen

DJinVT

Loons

Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:58 am

There has been a pair at Kent Pond in Killington all summer. The birds were last seen Sept. 29. If you post an inquiry to the Vermont Bird list, you will probably get some good replies from local birders. http://list.uvm.edu/archives/vtbird.html or send an email to "vtbird@list.uvm.edu". Color is getting very good in Killington area right now and we've had no wind in today's storm as yet.... fingers crossed :-)

Aspen

Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:19 pm

Thanks DJinVt for the information about Kent Pond and links to check.
Today, we arrived in Vermont and interestingly, stopped at Kent Pond. Appreciate your sharing. Glad to know we were in the right place but at wrong time! Was pouring cats and dogs instead. Fog was dense. I scanned the pond for loons and any waterfowl but none in sight. Kent Pond with the beautiful foliage across from where we parked will be awesome when the sun comes out. Just concerned this rainy weather might create leaf drop.
Today, was no day for leaf peeping but we did drive around to check foliage for a better day. We saw three turkeys nearby the road and also some in a farm field on Route 4, before Rutland.
Many thanks, for sharing your knowledge about loons.

Aspen