A Picture Is Worth A Thousand......Emotions

A forum to discuss your inspirations and reflections while visiting Vermont in any season. What evokes your passion for the state of Vermont? Do you have an amusing story to tell or a memorable experience while traveling there? All are welcome to participate. You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderator: ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

A Picture Is Worth A Thousand......Emotions

Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:41 pm

(Or is it all in the Eye of the Beholder?.........)

Last week I received the autumn issue of a popular magazine published in Vermont. Anxious to plunge into the fall foliage photography section, I quickly flipped through the pages with great anticipation! Where are the autumn photos! My heart was beating! It’s finally arrived!

And there it was! The picture of a place in Vermont that set the stage for such an emotional response that it brought an immediate tear to my eye. Goose bumps were a given! You may ask, how can such a shot, not even taken by myself, a novice at best, evoke such a reaction? You see, it was not just about “a stunning photo of a red barn at a crest of a dirt road against a blazing foliage hillside in Stowe Hollow”. (That description is in of itself enough to create quite a visual sensation!)

For me, it conjured up memories of the first annual reunion of our SOV group led by PWT of our foliage forum. We stopped here only on my dear friend Carol’s insistence that she get a shot of every conceivable angle of this scenic that possessed one of those rare “wow” factors. (I know she has one in her portfolio that is gorgeous!) :wink:

As I continued to relish what this photo meant to me, I reflected back on our back road excursions and all the fun things we did that day, my new forum friends, the foliage season and this mind boggling landscape before us. All rolled into one endearing Vermont memory. Yes, this one sweet picture did all that! Charles, you are right. “Memories are Priceless”. They are truly an integral part of photography, whether you have intended to take a picture just for yourself or for others to enjoy. They are keepsakes.

Hats off to you my Scenes of Vermont photography friends. I salute you. You have made some very special memories for me as I peruse the forums or through your individual websites of places I have traveled in the great state of Vermont.

This passion of yours? I get it. I truly do.

(Addendum: Carol was part of my inspiration to write this. I think she is one heck of a fine photographer!).
Last edited by ctyanky on Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:57 am

Carol: Thanks for putting up this "winning" shot! (Private joke). Yes, we are in for a trip of a lifetime. Can't wait! Funny, how one picture can bring up so many memories. Different for all of us too.

Thanks again for posting it because YOUR shot is better than the one in the magazine which I hope you get very soon!!!! I think you will love the article's intro written by the photographer/author. It's you in a nutshell. :wink:
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:21 am

Directions from the Foliage King Phil to get to this red barn at Stowe Hollow. Worth it in every sense of the word!

"Go to Main Street in Stowe and take School Street. It's across from the big white church. Drive about a 1/4 mile and turn right onto the Stowe Hollow Road. The first part of the road is woodsy, then you come to the top of a hill looking over Stowe Hollow. At the bottom of the hill turn right to continue the Stowe Hollow Road. Drive a short way until you come to an intersection with Emilie's Covered Bridge on the right side. Turn left there and drive until you see the farm on the left at the junction of the Upper Hollow Road."

brandtb

Various

Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:30 am

Were you all shooting late morning here? Beautiful shot btw Carol. Also, I was checking the directions with a map...directions read "At the bottom of the hill turn right to continue the Stowe Hollow Road" - should this be take right on Covered Bridge Road??

pwt54

Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:54 am

No. You go down a hill as you approach the Stowe Hollow community. At the bottom of the hill you turn right to continue the Stowe hollow Road. Then you come to the intersection with the covered bridge. You turn left there to go to the farm. HOWEVER, if you plan to take photos of the bridge, then do turn right and drive through the bridge because the parking area is there. When you are done at the bridge, drive through the bridge and go straight ahead to get to the farm.

brandtb

Direction Part II

Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:30 am

The reason I asked is because base on directions given... if you go down School St. then take R on S.H. Road (left would take you on to Taber Hill Road) then you come to a FORK in the road ...and Covered Bridge Road is the RIGHT hand turn, and S.H. Road is the LEFT hand turn. The RIGHT hand turn in the direction of the bridge seems to me to Covered Bridge, not Stowe Hollow... as it says in the directions....

Andy

Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:27 pm

I'm looking at the map now, and have the same confusion as Brandt. Phil??
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

brandtb

Got it

Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:16 am

Thanks Carol. Re. directions, I "understand" where it is and can see it on satellite map, it just that the directions have a lableing "hiccup" on one of the names, and someone else might get confused perhaps

pwt54

Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:42 am

With the directions I gave you, you would go past the Covered Bridge Road. The reason I did this is the view of Stowe Hollow from the top of the hill. It might be worth a photo or two. One other thing I should mention. If you don't take the right turn in Stowe Hollow, and go straight, you will be on the Upper Hollow Road. This road ends right at the Farm on the Stowe Hollow Road, but you will miss the Covered Bridge and there are better views on the Stowe Hollow Road. The original directions were designed for maximum views and features. :D

brandtb

That said...

Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:09 am

I understand your reasons perfectly. That said again re. the directions you say , "If you don't take the right turn in Stowe Hollow, and go straight, you will be on the Upper Hollow Road." I think our point is...is that this should read...you have to take a right on Covered Bridge Road - instead of Stowe Hollow as you had in your directions. You reach the covered bridge via Covered Bridge Road coming from Stowe

ctyanky
Board Admin

Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:08 pm

Here is one of the stories behind the haunting of Emily's Bridge. Just a tidbit to add to the fun of going through it! An older article I found but a fun read! :wink:

http://www.stowetoday.com/this_week/fea ... 38e02.html