As the Seasons Change, So Do I

A forum to discuss your inspirations and reflections while visiting Vermont in any season. What evokes your passion for the state of Vermont? Do you have an amusing story to tell or a memorable experience while traveling there? All are welcome to participate. You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderator: ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

As the Seasons Change, So Do I

Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:04 pm

Foliage season, though still sparkling in my neck of the woods, is coming to a close. Change is on the horizon. Cold nights and mornings are here to stay and darkness is creeping in earlier and earlier each evening. That nesting feeling of mine is tapping me on the shoulder. Through the rustling leaves of the night, winter softly whispers to me, ahead of her time.

This 2010 Vermont foliage vacation, my longest yet in duration, was totally satisfying. Much to my amazement, I drove home on 89 and then 91 with nary a tear in my eye. Instead, that glow of contentment that normally accompanies my journey “into” Vermont surfaced and won out. (Come on, you know that smile that is supposed to unfold when you cross the border, not leave it? :wink: ).

This musing comes to you not as one of melancholy but as an affirmation of personal fulfillment. The proverbial “big picture”came into fruition for me this year. Let me explain. I’ve often returned from Vermont fall vacations feeling slightly lost for a period of time. Like I haven’t finished a job to it’s entirety. But this year my soul feels nourished, something has changed. You may ask, “So, what happened?”

The answer is in the culmination of some incredible road trips, exciting new adventures and activities, beautiful foliage and scenery, and last but not least, the very, very special bonding with SOV friends, old and new. My heart flutters thinking of the dear friends with whom I have met on this forum. It’s all about the total Vermont experience.

At this stage in my life, I want to finally embrace each season that Mother Nature has to offer. There is no sense in rushing the days ahead just to lie in wait for autumn to appear. Every day, no matter what time of year, is to be held sacred and precious. Embrace each and every one of them. And don’t forget to count your blessings.

Yes, winter is long, cold, dark and snowy. No doubt about that. It’s often hard to get through it here in New England. But think of that first snowfall, the cozy fireplace by the inn, the clear, crisp nights with those sparkling highlights on the snow from the moon and the stars, the exhilarating ice skate on a frozen pond.

Soon spring will renew us. Summer will warm us. And fall is not far behind. Once again, Mother Nature will open the flood gates for her finest hour. In my opinion, it is the most sensual season of them all.

And once again, I, will succumb to fall foliage fever in Vermont. See you next Autumn. :wink:
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

pwt54

Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:40 am

This foliage season it wasn't the foliage that I remember. It was the tours, get togthers, and the Moose Quest that stand out. Between the 5 tours I did with Ctyanky and the rotten weather I didn't time for foliage viewing or serious photography. The 2 tours we did with BM took me to places I hadn't been to in a long time. I have those areas marked out for next year. 2 things that stand out are Ctyanky's reaction to the little piggies in Granville, and the fact that she knew all of those words. :shock: I drove through Granville on Wednesday and the farmer had the piggies in the barn for the winter.

deaner1971

Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:31 am

Great post! You have found exactly what I have sought - a trip to Vermont that is like a great meal.

Like a great meal it is full of many different flavors, never too much of any one, leaving you contented for what passed but not anxious to have ended it sooner, and with a true desire to return soon to see what old favorites and new treats the menu holds.

Congrats on such a great trip. I am planning to bring a group of six up for next year and will be acting as tour guide to them. If that ends up not happening or perhaps for the 2012 trip, I certainly would love to experience a little bit of the fall with you fine folks.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:07 pm

Hi Dean! Thanks!

What a pleasant analogy you have made! Confirms what I have thought all along, Vermont is not only a "feast" for the eyes, but so much more than that as well. A smorgasbord of delight perhaps? :wink: Once you get a taste of it, you keep going back for more! :P

The most important ingredients are the SOV Vermonters and flatlander members of course! Hope you eventually meet up with the foliage gang!

Utah Baker

Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:22 am

Dear CT, I think there is a kindred spirit here. You have one again voiced my feelings to a tee. Only I looked out of an airplace window, down at all the beautiful foliage aglow with the days last light as we left for home. Today I awoke to a beautiful blanket of heavey snow, the trees laden down as they have not yet lost all their leaves. I am definitely a four seasons person, looking forward to each change, the crowning glory being autumn! After all that's why we have the other three, right? Some of the grandkids where here last night as it started to snow, such excitment as they ran out to dance in the flakes, coupled with the expectation of Halloween! Happy Halloween to all, I do love it!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:14 am

Hi Janice: Nice to see you back here on Musings! I can't believe you got snow already! Must have been pretty on the foliage! The flakes will be flying here sooner than we think and I'm looking forward to that first winter snowfall!

Hope you have a great Halloween with your grandkids!