New England

A forum to discuss your inspirations and reflections while visiting Vermont in any season. What evokes your passion for the state of Vermont? Do you have an amusing story to tell or a memorable experience while traveling there? All are welcome to participate. You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderator: ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

New England

Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:14 pm

Although not specifically related to Vermont, here is a poem I would like to share with you that I have been carrying around in my wallet for many years. It helps me remember my parents who are now deceased and who gave me the fondest memories of New England any child could ask for. I love living in New England as you can tell. We traveled around so much in the New England states that they all really feel like home to me (mostly VT of course). Some poems just touch my soul in a special way. This one is for you Mom and Dad. (And for all you Yankee New Englanders and those who love it here as well!) After this one, I have another poem I cherish by my FAVORITE poet Robert Frost. It is below this one.

If you have any special poems you love related to the autumn, VT or New England please share!

NEW ENGLAND
~Philip Henry Savage

Whoe’er thou art, who walkest there
Where God first taught my feet to roam,
Breathe but my name into the air,
I am content, for that is home.

A sense, a color comes to me,
Of baybushes that heavy lie
With juniper along the sea,
And the blue sea along the sky.

New England is my home; t’is there
I love the pagan sun and moon.
T’is there I love the growing year,
December and young-summer June.

I'd rather love one blade of grass
That grows on one New England hill,
Than drain the whole world in the glass
Of fortune, when the heart is still.

When I went to the Robert Frost Cabin in Ripton off of 125, there was a small path that diverged before me as I walked up to the site. It made me think of this poem which has special meaning to me. I have taken some paths of my own that have made all the difference in my life. I am showing Carol this beautiful locale so I can share my special place of solitude with a special friend. I hope she will take some nice photographs there too!

The Road Not Taken
~Robert Frost

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that, the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:23 am

Here is my blog on the Homer Noble Farm and cabin to set the scene so to speak!

If you notice your comment at the end, you have placed it on your "to do" list and now you will be able to scratch it off! Looking forward to showing it to you and bm and it will be a nice quiet time away from the extreme frenzy of our tour that day!!!!

http://www.scenesofvermont.com/blog/?p=13