Witness Tree

Discussions on Equipment, Locations and Tips for getting the photographs you want of Vermont scenes.Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, admin

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: Witness Tree

Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:29 am

Al: I have a proposed route for our meetup. Just wondering how long you anticipate that you have for the day before heading back to NH. Have you been on these roads: Ducharme, East Hill, West Hill (Calais, Cabot)? I'd like to finish off the day in Maple Corners and Kents Corners (Calais, Adamant). The back roads in Adamant are amazing but I still need a Jimapco here! I want to check out Snow Hill Road (East Montpelier) because my polo lesson is on a farm there! :wink: That should be a full day if we end by 4. Food stop at Maple Corners General Store...……......

bogey456

Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:06 am

Hi CT, We have all day, no set time to leave for home. Ducharme I think so but I'm not sure about East and West Hill. We have never been to Adamant. We'll just follow you guys wherever you lead. I just finished putting all the locations from Andy (and Carols) 2nd book into my GPS which I cross referenced to the page and location in my JIMAPCO. I'm going to start doing the same with his first book.
Al
Al

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:55 am

Al: all sounds good. Take a look at your Jimapco. I would love to stop at any places you and Bob might want to go in those areas since you are a photographer. We can be pretty flexible and not stick to anything because we might find a place that is an "OMG" and may spend more time there or decide the color is not what we expected and decide to head to higher elevations. That's what happened one year when I was at Cabot Plains Road with Charles (ixl from the forum). The color was incredible in the back fields and we were there 1/2 hour! Also, when we meet, we can decide how to contact each other when traveling in case we divert the route for some reason or we lose you or you want to stop somewhere, etc.

I am also open when I am in Stowe for part II of my Stowe lodging stays, on Oct 7 8 9 if you are in the area. Will be heading to Waitsfield area and Blueberry Lake. Just a couple of meetups and a possible hike to the fire tower in Elmore on the agenda! It is reported to have moderate conditions there as of today. CT

bogey456

Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:58 am

Hi CT...As far as going to places we want to, go we're going to defer to your expertise. You and Phil are far more familiar with the roads around Peacham then we are although we have been on many of the roads around there. Our thing is that in the past we only would get up to Vermont 2 or 3 times during foliage season. Generally the first trip would be up north to the Island Pond -Barton area followed by the Woodstock area. Our issue is that we generally go to the same places and if the foliage is less than or past peak than that's it for this trip and we've taken a 500 mile ride with not much to show for it. Don't get me wrong, over the years we have gotten a lot of great photos but we are always looking for new places to shoot.
One of the routes I was thinking of is Macks Mountain Road over to Cabot and then to Cabot Plains Road. I guess the best thing we can do is see what the forecast is and plot where we want to go when we meet. We could use cell phone to keep in contact, assuming the have service up there.
As far as the following week, we will probably be back and Blueberry Lake is one of the places I'd like to hit. I think I would pass on the hike though.
Al
Al

Andy

Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:02 am

Al: That route is a good one. There is a nice image that is in the book that Abby (Carol) found a couple years back on Cabot Plains Road.
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:29 am

http://desktopscenes.com/Autumn_Scenes_ ... liance.htm

Hi Al: My good friend Charles (ixl) from this forum and I were on Cabot Plains and came upon this scene. As he describes it as brilliance, that it was! You should check out his website above. He is an absolutely amazing photographer and I am sure he wouldn't mind me posting his scene here. I think he went a little nutsy in the field as well while I was standing on the road with my mouth open in amazement! :wink:

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:27 am

http://desktopscenes.com/Autumn_Scenes_ ... _Level.htm

Here is the other shot we saw before the "brilliance" scene...……………… from Charles of course! :wink:

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:35 pm

Al: I mentioned we might stop at Curtis Pond. Here is where Charles and I stopped for a photo. Credit to him obviously!

http://desktopscenes.com/Autumn_Scenes_ ... s_Pond.htm

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:18 pm

Al: I just looked at my itinerary for Oct. 7 8 9. I can be free any day weather dependent and can move around two meetups and the hike as well so will be flexible. Blueberry Lake is an afternoon shot. Have you been on Plunkton Road and Fuller Hill Road and Roxbury Mountain Road? I have a great route to include all 3. We can talk about it at Peacham. I have never been to Warren Falls so want to start there. Best meeting place is the post office in Waitsfield at the town green area. I would be coming from north of Stowe. Just a thought. Blueberry Lake is amazing if you hit it right. There is an iconic ring of color that develops around the lake from bottom to top and it just keeps getting bigger and better every day. I was there an hour my second time around and it seemed to glow. The mountain ring of color and clouds reflecting in the lake are mesmerizing! I can show you all my photos when I see you. I have about 20! I sent Triz there from the forum and he was thrilled and loved Plunkton Road! Check it out on the Jimapco! :D

Two places to eat in Waitsfield are the Mad Taco and Worthy Burger Too.

If color is good down there, I may extend my trip through Columbus Day Weekend as I have a place to stay in Waitsfield! :D

bogey456

Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:31 am

Hi Carol,
Great to have you joining our little group here, your input is always welcome. I do have Robinson Hill Road marked in my Jimapco and in my GPS. I just finished marking all the places in your ebook in my Jimapco and inputing them in my GPS.

Hi CT,
I have all 5 of those places marked in my Jimapco and also in my GPS. As far as the following week goes I'm available the 7th and 8th. The 9th I'm off on a foliage train ride in North Conway. As you say we can kick that week around when we meet in Peacham.
Al
Al

Andy

Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:00 pm

abby wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:29 pm
Hi Al,
Be sure you go to Robinson Hill Road while in Calais. It's in the ebook. Drive up to the top of the hill and then turn around. The scene will be behind you. There's also other beautiful views up there and a couple of gorgeous horses. I think I spent about an hour walking around and shooting in this spot. Your camera will be very happy there. :-) https://CarolSmith.zenfolio.com/p557529590/e8439bf92
Have a wonderful time!
Carol
Yes, Al. That was the scene - on Robinson Hill Road. I didn't mean to mislead :-)
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:45 am

Al: I am sort of rethinking my route and have a question for you. Have you been to Waitsfield and the back roads at all? ie Common Road, Bragg, East Warren, App Gap, Mad River Glenn area? Rather than taking the Roxbury Mtn. Road (great views but hard to pull over at summit) to route 12 south to the Bethel Mountain Road back to Granville Gulf, we can stay in the Waitsfield/Warren area to save time to do all those places. I absolutely love the drive thru the Granville Gulf, it is at the top of my list for beauty and serenity, but if you have done these areas let me know and I'll rethink my plans. I need to get on the road by 4:00 to get back to the Stowe area. I can be there earlier than my normal pace :mrgreen: and can be at the post office around 9. I do want to spend time at Blueberry Lake however.

Let's plan on the 7th or 8th weather dependent. At least we have two days to kick around. Have fun on the train ride!

In a matter of days I'll be off! CT

bogey456

Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:39 am

Hi CT...I have been to Waitsfield and I have probably been on most of these roads as I have them marked in my Jimaco. I have no problem going back but my thought is that rather than try to plan routes 2 weeks out I think that where you will have been in the area for a week or more we might be better served to wait a bit before picking a route. I figure that sometime around the 5th you should have a better idea where peak is. I will say though that Blueberry lake is on my must see list. My thought is see if we can find where the best color is and head there. As far the route I will defer to your expertise. Like I said above I have no problem revisiting places I have been before. I think in many cases I have probably just blown by many of the places that you guys are showing photos of.
Al
Al

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:33 am

Hi Al: totally agree, will wait until that first weekend in October (will be in Stowe), and will have been in VT almost 10 days. I also want to head to where the foliage is glorious! Right now, I'm going a bit crazy developing routes for many friends who are not familiar with the area and have been peppering me for help with their foliage vacation so I'm putting the Jimapco to good use. The ones I shared are just some of "many" I'm working on this weekend before I leave! :) And I may be up in VT tomorrow for the Wine and Harvest Festival at Mt. Snow!

bogey456

Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:39 am

Hi CT... I saw over on the Foliage Forum that you are planning on being in the Jobs pond -Lake Willoughby area on Friday. Bob and I are also planning on being in that area on Friday, maybe we could plan to hook-up somewhere.
Al
Al