Glacier- Canadian Rockies

Discussions on Equipment, Locations and Tips for getting the photographs you want of Vermont scenes.Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, admin

autzig

Glacier- Canadian Rockies

Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:16 pm

For those of you who asked, here's link to the photos from my Glacier/Canadian Rockies trip:

http://www.goldimagesphoto.com/Portfolio/New/

Click on the image to get it full screen. The aspens were at peak color there. I know it isn't the same as Vermont color, but it was pretty good.

Also, here's link to a video I made of a moose in Glacier National Park.

https://youtu.be/9PVOrmPCOz4
It was raining like crazy, but I wanted to capture a video along with my stills:

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: Glacier- Canadian Rockies

Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:34 pm

WOW WOW WOW Al! These are simply gorgeous. As I was scrolling through, I kept saying, that's my favorite, no that's my favorite now...... The ones with reflections are super! They are all amazing and belong in National Geographic! Of course, we all know, the moose video is my heart throb..... :wink:

Kerry29

Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:01 pm

Very nice set of images. (One caption correction: Herbert Lake is in Banff NP, not Jasper.) Looks like aspen peak in the Banff/LL area is running well ahead of the last two years (when it was in the final 10 days of September).

Did you get a chance to visit Mistaya Canyon on the Icefields Parkway? Did you dip into Yoho NP in BC at all? Perhaps pay a visit to Takkakaw Falls?

autzig

Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:35 pm

(One caption correction: Herbert Lake is in Banff NP, not Jasper.)
Kerry, thanks for the correction. I'm not sure where one park begins and the other ends.
We did get into Yoho National Park. Saw where the trains go through the tunnels.
Did you make it to Spirit Island?
Did you get a chance to visit Mistaya Canyon on the Icefields Parkway?
Unfortunately, we had only four days there and one was a complete washout. It rained pretty much all day. The good part of that was that the storm left a lot of snow on the mountain peaks and that really improved the potential for great photos. I was traveling with my wife and two friends, none of whom are photographers so I couldn't be out nearly as early as I wanted. We went to Lake Louise one day and couldn't get close to the place. The road to Moraine Lake was closed. The positive from that was that I was able to convince everyone that if we wanted to see those two lakes, we needed to be up and out early.

Our friends wanted to do the gondola ride a Lake Louise, so I dropped them off and had three hours to put into photography. I shot Herbert Lake, Bow Lake and Peyto Lake during that time. I wanted to stop at Mistaya Canyon but I didn't have the time.

The biggest photographic problem (besides not having nearly enough time) for me was seeing all those great snow covered peaks but there really aren't any good places to stop to photograph them. I didn't want to park along the highway and often there were tall trees blocking the view. I would love to go there again on a photo tour (I love my wife and our friends but....)

Kerry29

Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:41 pm

(One caption correction: Herbert Lake is in Banff NP, not Jasper.)
Kerry, thanks for the correction. I'm not sure where one park begins and the other ends.
Herbert Lake is at the very, very southern end of the Icefields Parkway. Other than the fee-collection station, I literally don't think there's anything between Herbert Lake and its junction with the Trans Canada Highway. The border between Banff and Jasper NPs is about 80 miles north of that point, at Sunwapta Pass. I believe you had a photo in your gallery from Parker Ridge--that's just about the northern end of Banff NP. The Columbia Icefields (including Athabasca Glacier) are in Jasper NP. Icefields Center is about three miles north of the southern edge of the Banff/Jasper border.
Did you get a chance to visit Mistaya Canyon on the Icefields Parkway?
Unfortunately, we had only four days there and one was a complete washout. It rained pretty much all day. The good part of that was that the storm left a lot of snow on the mountain peaks and that really improved the potential for great photos. I was traveling with my wife and two friends, none of whom are photographers so I couldn't be out nearly as early as I wanted. We went to Lake Louise one day and couldn't get close to the place. The road to Moraine Lake was closed. The positive from that was that I was able to convince everyone that if we wanted to see those two lakes, we needed to be up and out early.[/quote]

What time of day did you try to go to Moraine Lake? And was it a weekend day? I ask because the Moraine Lake parking lot has a tendency to fill up, particularly on weekends, by mid- to late-morning. In addition to the attraction of the lake itself, there are two very popular trails that emanate from Moraine Lake (Consolation Lakes and Larch Valley, both of which are well worth the trek, IMO), so between the cars and the incessant tourist buses, things get very crowded there. The Parks Canada staff routinely closes the road to inbound private vehicle traffic (excepting people staying at the Moraine Lake Lodge) at around 9 or 10 AM until late in the afternoon; during that time, they shuttle people in and out via buses, which depart and return to a number of places, including Lake Louise Village, perhaps the LL chalet, and a huge remote overflow lot that sits astride the east bound side of the Trans Canada, a couple of miles east of the LL Village exit. This is yet another reason (the first being that it's the best time to photograph there) to visit Moraine Lake at sunrise: the road will definitely be open to inbound private vehicle traffic.
Our friends wanted to do the gondola ride a Lake Louise, so I dropped them off and had three hours to put into photography. I shot Herbert Lake, Bow Lake and Peyto Lake during that time. I wanted to stop at Mistaya Canyon but I didn't have the time.
Too bad, but totally understandable. Mistaya Canyon works best on an overcast day anyway.
The biggest photographic problem (besides not having nearly enough time) for me was seeing all those great snow covered peaks but there really aren't any good places to stop to photograph them. I didn't want to park along the highway and often there were tall trees blocking the view. I would love to go there again on a photo tour (I love my wife and our friends but....)
There are a number of good pullouts, but not all of them are necessarily great for photographing the various peaks. But there are more good spots not far off the road--lakes, ponds, creeks, meadows--that provide endless foreground opportunities with mountain backdrops than you'd ever have time to explore in a lifetime.

If you ever plan to head up there again, feel free to drop me a line. I'd be happy to point you in the direction of some resources that are of great value to photographers in the Canadian Rockies.
Last edited by Kerry29 on Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Utah Baker

Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:15 pm

Just stunning Al! Love the reflections and the Autumn Gold! It certainly arrived early here in the Rockies and I'm loving it. Looking forward to a long Autumn season. Thanks so much for sharing your travels!

Andy

Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:00 pm

Some great images, Al. I can see I need to go there! My only comment would be that some of the images seemed pretty saturated :mrgreen:
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

autzig

Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:10 pm

Andy, you are right, you must go there. And when you do, I'd love to tag along. Maybe we can get Kerry to go too. (Nothing like having an experienced guide.)
My only comment would be that some of the images seemed pretty saturated :mrgreen:
No, that's what it is like there; all the time. The saturation slider is unnecessary with photos from there. You must go there and see!

Actually, I think you are giving me hard time because my team creamed yours. :D

Kerry29

Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:21 pm

autzig wrote:Maybe we can get Kerry to go too. (Nothing like having an experienced guide.)
If you guys pay my way, I'll start packing my bags. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Andy

Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:34 pm

autzig wrote:Andy, you are right, you must go there. And when you do, I'd love to tag along. Maybe we can get Kerry to go too. (Nothing like having an experienced guide.)
My only comment would be that some of the images seemed pretty saturated :mrgreen:
No, that's what it is like there; all the time. The saturation slider is unnecessary with photos from there. You must go there and see!

Actually, I think you are giving me hard time because my team creamed yours. :D
Nah. I wrote this before they played. I hope they sweep the Michigan teams this year :-)
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

ctyanky
Board Admin

Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:38 pm

Oh yeah, I'm going to miss you boys this year. Next year we are all going to stay at Seyon Lodge and have a ball! Keep it on the back burner! :D

cathpeta41

Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:08 am

ctyanky wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:34 pm
WOW WOW WOW Al! These are simply gorgeous. As I was scrolling through, I kept saying, that's my favorite, no that's my favorite now assurance de prêt senior...... The ones with reflections are super! They are all amazing and belong in National Geographic! Of course, we all know, the moose video is my heart throb..... :wink:
You are right. This is really beautiful. Thank you very much for these beautiful