Google Street View?

Discussions on Equipment, Locations and Tips for getting the photographs you want of Vermont scenes.Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, admin

Rockwall Tim

Google Street View?

Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:12 pm

I'm a foliage nut. But I'm a long way off...live in Texas. Been to Vermont 9 times and will make it 10 this October. Since I'm so far away, I have to rely on my own previous trip experiences and/or this forum to scout out great foliage or scenes. Lately, I've tried using Google StreetView to try and find possible spots that have potential. Anyone else this crazy?
II Cor. 4:17

autzig

Re: Google Street View?

Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:20 am

I use Google Earth all the time. For example, when I went to Yellowstone, I wanted to know what the best time was to shoot the lower Yellowstone Falls. I used Google Earth to get my bearings. I'd use it for Vermont too. If you wanted to photograph Job's Pond, for example, enter Job's Pond Vermont in the search box and it will take you there. There isn't a street view available on Google Earth at this location but there is a ground level view. You can see that the access is on the west side and if you use the ground view you will see that there are mountains on the east side. Looks like a late day shot. What about Belvidere Pond? There is a street view available on Google Earth for that location. The road is on the south side of the pond.

I also use it to see the photos others have taken. Is this place really worth my time? Take Bingham Falls near Stowe. I've been there and and photographed it and I liked the location. But if I hadn't been there, I'd let Google Earth take me there. (It is really amazing, all the locations Google Earth has in its database.) Search on Bingham Falls Vermont and you will not only see the location but photos others have made there. Those photos may cause you move it up or down on your list of places to photograph.

Google Earth is one of the best scouting tools available.

I do a lot of night sky photography and use Sky Guide, an inexpensive app for my phone. I can put in any date and time and it will show me what's in the sky. I can see when the Milky Way rises and it's location in the sky. It is a great tool for the night sky. I'm also out at all kinds of crazy times. I made this shot http://www.goldimagesphoto.com/Portfolio/New/i-bwcLbgV at about 1:30 AM and this one: http://www.goldimagesphoto.com/Portfoli ... /i-vgHtJ9t at 4:00 AM.

So, to answer your question, I'm at least as crazy as you.

Al

Utah Baker

Re: Google Street View?

Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:13 pm

Sounds ingenious to me! Crazy good! :wink: