Winter Sunrise Critique opportunity :-)

Discussions on Equipment, Locations and Tips for getting the photographs you want of Vermont scenes.Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, admin

autzig

Re: Winter Sunrise Critique opportunity :-)

Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:50 am

Not too many hanging around here these days so I'm not sure how many responses you will get but I'll offer my 2 cents. There is not much to say as this is a very nice photo. I don't know about your idea of cropping from the top because that would put the sun in the middle of the shot. You don't want it to be a bulls eye. I would suggest a slight crop from the bottom because of one thing; that little plant on the bottom right. It is dark and for me is a distraction. The sun lights up the field very nicely and then there is that thing that is not lit. You might want to consider a crop that makes the sun less centered horizontally. I'm not sure such a composition would be better but it might be worth a try.

What aperture were you using? A smaller aperture may have produced an even better sunburst. What you captured is very nice but a very small aperture would be worth a try. Shooting directly into the sun often produces unwanted flaring but I don't see that in your photo.

I wish I could be of more help, but with a great photo it is hard to say anything more than great photo.

Al

Utah Baker

Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:32 pm

Mmvt,I am just the pupil here, but I know what I like, and I think this is a beautiful Christmas sunrise shot! I love it! :D And I can see how you would want to crop the top to just where the cloud on the left shapes an angle type wing, but then I obiviously tend to like "bullseyes". Maybe it's just the way I seem to be orientented...........well centered! :lol:

Andy

Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:29 pm

I would like to see the uncropped image to see what the foreground looks like. It is almost a truism that photography is about light. Here, you have captured the ultimate light source. I look at an image for the points of interest, They seem to me to be in three places in this shot: the sky, the sun and the nicely lit foreground field. To me, the darker areas on each side are not as interesting and take up more of the overall image than they should. I would be inclined to look at a "portrait" (vertical) presentation here, showing as much of the interesting sky as I could, as well as the sun and the lit field, cropping some of each side off. You will probably need to make some choices about just what to exclude and what to leave in
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .