Andy and Al's Great Minnesota Adventure

Discussions on Equipment, Locations and Tips for getting the photographs you want of Vermont scenes.Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, admin

autzig

Andy and Al's Great Minnesota Adventure

Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:09 pm

Andy, his best friend Rich and I spent this past weekend on Minnesota's North Shore of Lake Superior. We had a great time. One of the places we visited was the Cascade River which is one of my all time favorite spots. Andy had seen my photo of one of the double falls on this river and wanted to photograph it. I showed him where he had to go to get the shot. When he got there, it wasn't there.

Here's what I mean. The photo below on the left is one I made there about four or five years ago. I took the one on the right from the same place this weekend. It is hard to believe what nature can do over time.

I'll post more photos as I can.

Al

Last edited by autzig on Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

autzig

Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:26 pm

On July 31,we Minnesotans celebrated the 100th anniversary of day Split Rock Lighthouse began service to mariners on Lake Superior. Here are a couple of photos of the lighthouse. The first was taken during the afternoon. The second during the fireworks celebration.

Al

Andy

Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:14 pm

Really good stuff, as always, Al! I have some that look awfully similar. But mine have this white triangle in the left background. I must have a hot pixel (or maybe a tent pixel??) [inside joke].

Seriously, what an evening! We went to this lighthouse expecting to photograph the light as it was lighted for the centennial. When we arrived, we learned that it would not only be lit, but there would be fireworks. What a photo op. I'll try get a couple of mine posted this week. I stood shoulder to shoulder with Al, but we may have gotten some variations.
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

autzig

Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:13 pm

abby wrote:What a dramatic difference between those two waterfall shots Al. Are you having a drier than normal year in Minnesota?
Carol, this wasn't because of low water. It appears that the ledge that created the waterfall collapsed and the rock was carried downstream creating all the rubble in the river. The waterfall is now around the corner to the left.

Al

Andy

Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:46 pm

Carol: If you look to the lower left of the lighthouse you will see a white triange. That is the "hot pixel" I am referring to. There was a white "event" tent set up by the base of the Light which we really didn't want in the photo. Thank god for Photoshop and cloning.
Andy

Andy

Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:55 pm

I wanted to post some of my shots here. But here's a RANT. Last year, I opened up a Flickr account so I could do html links here. About a month ago, they decided we users needed an "enhanced" experience. Like AOL previously and Facebook for the past two years, I have learned that "enhanced" really means screwed up. As soon as you get something set up to work smoothly, they decide to "enhance" and then nothing works! Short story long -- I cannot link here directly. My website has my Weekend adventure shots:

http://lightcentricphotography.com/2/ab ... additions/

Sorry - best I can do for now.
Andy

Andy

Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:33 pm

Where there's a will,there's a way:

I figured out that I can link from my WordPress Blog site. Here's the best I could do with the fireworks:

Andy

Andy

Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:36 pm

We arrived before sunrise and thought maybe our mostly cloudy morning was a bust. It wasn't:

Andy

Andy

Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:38 pm

The Fireworks were very cool:

Andy

ctyanky
Board Admin

Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:21 am

Andy: Loved these! Especially the fireworks. So beautiful! Thanks for putting them up and your photos on your website are spectacular! Glad you all had such a great time!

P.S. Still waiting for my photo that Rich is supposed to send you! :wink:
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

ixl

Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:11 am

Sounds like you guys had a lot of fun!

And I love the fireworks pix. :)
Charles Kozierok - DesktopScenes.com

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

Andy

Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:08 am

Carol: You can see that in my "Finale" shot I forget to clone it out. On the others, its gone. One thing Al showed me was the new "Content Aware Fill" (which is just really "intelligent" cloning) that has been added to CS5 (controversial in some "purist" circles, but a wonderful addition for the rest of us).

Just that ONE FEATURE made me go home and download the upgrade to CS5 on Monday. I many cases (where the area is not to "busy", you simple select around the offending item and use the Content Aware Fill and viola, its "fixed")

(Speaking of "viola," can somebody tell CT its "ciao"??? :P ).

BTW, Al, there IS a way to get to the content aware by menu. Its in the "Fill" menu. Of course the keystroke is much quicker. :-)
Andy

deaner1971

Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:55 pm

Andy, those fireworks photos are wonderful. Would it be rude to ask what lense you used to grab those?

Andy

Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:50 pm

Deaner: No, not rude at all. My photography is an open book :-).

I used a Nikkor 70-300 zoom. I set the camera to manual and most were shot at an f8 aperture, adjusting the speed to get the exposure I sought.

Focal length for most was set right at 100mm. Obviously, that will depend on your distance from the subject.
Andy

autzig

Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:50 pm

I've now posted my photos at http://www.goldimagesphoto.com/new/index.html

Hope you enjoy them.

Al