Northeast Kingdom Drive And More!

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

seger

Northeast Kingdom Drive And More!

Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:58 pm

I took a long drive through many NEK towns today. Parts of Newport are really good, especially around Lake Memphremagog. If you get up this way, take a drive up Shattucks Hill Road (off route 5, across from Community Bank) There is a great view of the lake from there.

From there I cruised past Derby, West Charleston, and Westmore (Route 5a) by Lake Willoughby. These areas are past peak, with many leaves completely gone. I was quite disappointed! A few golden and yellow leaves remain.

From there it was onward to Newark, East Burke, West Burke and Burke Hollow. Again, past peak in these areas. Still spotted with yellows and golden, but many bare trees. Then it was on to Lyndonville, where the few remaining pretty yellow-orange trees on the green remained. But they won't last long!

From Lyndonville it was a short drive down I-91 south to Exit 21 to pick up route 2 West to Danville. The scenic overlook on route 2 in Danville still looks real nice if you happen go out that way. You will also pass some pumpkins and gourds that are neatly stacked in apple barrels which make for good photo taking!

From route 2 west I picked up route 15 west through Walden, eventually turning left onto Cabot road. Went all the way into cabot, grabbed route 215, and did a loop back to route 2 west into Plainfield. Again, the leaves and colors are spotty at best. Many bare trees. From Plainfield I jumped onto route 214 north to N. Montpelier, and quickly jumped onto route 14 towards East Calais and Woodbury. I made stops at N. Montpelier Pond, Sabin Pond "Woodbury Lake". From there I went on to Hardwick and Greensboro and stopped at Lake Elligo. From there it was on to Albany and Irasburg. Leaving Irasburg behind, I hopped on route 58 east, and then to route 5 in Coventry and made my way back to Newport. For a total of about 150 miles today.

In summary, there were many bare trees, many areas past peak IMO. I was still able to grab some photos that were ok, but I expected much more. I think last weekend was better (Oct 1st). Not to be outdone, I'll be heading south to have a look tomorrow.

Hope this report helps :)

pwt54

Re: Northeast Kingdom Drive And More!

Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:16 pm

I guess I'll have to follow you tomorrow.

seger

Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:19 pm

I'm hoping I'll have better luck tomorrow. :)

autzig

Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:39 pm

I flew into Burlington late this afternoon. Drove north on I89 to 104 to Jeffersonville, 108 over Smugglers Notch to Stowe, 100 to I89 and back to Burlington. All of the mountain areas were well past peak with lots of bare trees. Smugglers Notch was very disappointing.

I hope things are better farther south.

seger

Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:55 am

Thanks for the info fernando. I went over to smugglers notch last weekend and the colors just weren't quite "there" yet. Must be over the week they just went by. I'm actually thinking of heading down to the white mountains in NH today. Seems alot of areas are past peak already :(

pwt54

Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:45 pm

We had some wind coming from the northwest early this last week The Notch acts like a wind tunnel when that happens. Those leaves are probably near Boston.

seger

Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:59 am

Actually Franconia notch wasn't to bad. Much more color than up here. There were bare trees, but the color was brighter and there were a ton of people there..lol..Not a bad day. Also took a walk on the Pemi trail. The woods are beautiful with all the colored leaves...and yeah, alot are on the ground, and probably some did land in Boston :)