Route 12, the Worcester Woods Road

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

pwt54

Route 12, the Worcester Woods Road

Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:58 pm

I went down to the Civil War Expo in Tunbridge today. Have fun. Foliage along route 110 doesn't look good. It was better from Chelsea and north. Foliage along route 14 from East Randolph to East Brookfield is early but should be ready by next weekend. Route 65 to Brookfield and it's floating bridge looks good all the way to route 12. Route 12 from Route 65 north to Montpelier is about the same as route 14. But roue 12 between Montpelier and Morrisville is great. Get over there as soon as you can. It should be good until next weekend, but after that I don't know. This roas has some of the most intense foliage in the state.

courtmel

Re: Route 12, the Worcester Woods Road

Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:12 pm

pwt54-

What are you predicting for Stowe area Wednesday, Oct 11-Sunday, Oct 15? Please give me some hope for colors. I would love to check out East Corinth and Peacham even tho I am not sure how they will be foliage wise. What do you think? Any insight would be so welcomed. I loved your interview. Thanks for keeping us abreast of all the goings on in God's country aka Vermont.
autumn leaf

pwt54

Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:08 am

First of all, the Worcester Woods Road will be gone by when you get here. Right now I'd have to say that Stowe will be past peak by the 11th. There will be late colors there. Routes 12 & 14 south of Montpelier should be peaking at that time. Most of the foliage in the Peacham area is still early but changing fast. I really having problems predicting the foliage because it's changing unevenly. The colors on route 15 in Cambridge look early, but the colors in Stowe nearing peak. It should be the same in both places. My advice would be to go ahead and stay in Stowe if you have a room because rooms may be hard to find that week. However, if you can find a room down in the Killington/Rutland area go for that.

courtmel

Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:17 pm

Good Day pwt54-

Thanks for the report on Stowe. Too bad is should be past peak as we have a room booked at the Season's Pass Inn for 4 nights and there is no getting out of it without it costing. Also finding a room for 4 nights in Killington/Rutland might be hard if not impossible. I know our favorite place Mendon Mtnview Resort now caters to buses. I have always wanted to ride thru E Corinth, Topsham, Peacham but need to get a map as I am not sure if they within driving distance. I also w/check out Montpelier as you suggested. What about the Northern Kingdom? How is the foliage progressing upthataway?

I just know my vacation to Vermont is right around the corner and I can't wait!

Keep me posted if you can...

:D
autumn leaf

Andy

Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:34 pm

Autumn: It IS within driving distance. I am sure PWT can give you a better route, but from Stowe, I would take 100 back down through Waterbury to I-89 and take I-89 to Montpelier/Barre area (I did this last year). You want to get on US 302 East and take it to Vermont state highway 25. Go South on 25 and you will go through the Village of Waits River. A bit further South, you will come to the Topsham - Corinth Road. It is on the left and is a hard 45 degree left turn back north. This will take you through E. Corinth, and further up E. Topsham. In E. Topsham, the road name turns to Powder Springs Road going further north. You can take that back to 302 at Groton. If you want to go to the Peacham area, you can continue North on the same road into that area and eventually get onto U.S. 2, which you can either take back to the Montpelier area, or catch state highway 15 through Hardwick and Morrisville, where you pick up 100 again, back into Stowe. The trip to Waits River will take about an hour. I have never driven from Waits River to Peacham, so I cannot vouch for that, but it should be pretty easy to figure mileage if you have a Vermont Map
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

pwt54

Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:41 am

You can drive from Stowe to the Peacham area in an hour or less. You can drive to Killington in about an hour. The Seasons Pass is a good place to stay. As for maps, when you stop for gas look in the store for a VT. atlas by Jimmapco, Delorme, or Northern Cartagraphic. I prefer Jimmapco because it's easier to read. They just about every road listed with the road name. Some have the covered bridges marked.

ahzaman

Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:01 am

pwt54
I am going to be staying at the Colonnade Inn in Lyndonville and am going to be there on October 7th and October 8th. I am planning on driving on Victory Road which you recommended. I was also planning on driving through Darling Hill Road.

Is this a good idea? Are there any other routes that I should be checking out? Thank you.