Northern (Gasp) New Hampshire

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

pwt54

Northern (Gasp) New Hampshire

Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:57 pm

I started this trip going up through the Northeast Kingdom using routes 15, 16, 5a, the Hinton Hill Road, and route 105 east to Bloomfield. The colors are still early in most spots.Route 105 from Island Pond to Bloomfield was pretty good. Then I went over to New Hampshire and took route 3 north to route 26 in Coldbrook, NH. I drove route 26 over Dixville Notch to route 16 south in Errol and drove route 16 south all the way to route 302 in Glen. I turned right and went to Bartlett and picked up the Bear Notch Road at the flashing yellow light. I drove the Bear Notch Rd to route 112 and turned right. (I took the Bear Notch Road so I could bypass the Conway area). Route 112 here is the Kancamaugas Highway. As painful as it is, the Leafpeeper Code demands that I say it. The foliage in Northern New Hampshire is much better than Northern Vermont right now. It was great ! (Excuse me while I take a shot of Wild Turkey) If you can find the time to get over there in the next week, do it ! Things should be popping in the northeast kingdom next weekend.

courtmel

Re: Northern (Gasp) New Hampshire

Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:41 am

Good Autumn Morm pwt54-

Sounds like a spectacular day you had for yourself. Thank you for keeping us updated on the most glorious season of all! I look for your posts (and everyone else's) each day. I can't wait to get up there on Oct. 11-15. I hope the Stowe area waits to show off her brilliant reds and oranges for me and other leaf peepers. What do you think? Have you been having frosts at night? What are you predicting for Stowe on those dates? I know you have responded before but I am hoping against hope that the changing slows down just a little.

We all appreciate you keeping us abreast.
autumn leaf

pwt54

Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:20 am

We haven't had a widespread frost yet. Things do look to be slower than normal up here right now.

courtmel

Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:48 am

Hi bm & pwt54-

How I envy you being in Vermont right now. bm I can't wait for your post about Stowe. I sure hope we didn't make a mistake by booking Stowe Oct11-15. As I have said before we usually go to Killington but thought Stowe would be interesting change of venue. Our main concern is the foliage will be over by Oct 11th. pwt54 I am glad you reported it slowing down a little. It is still pretty warm here in CT; 70 degrees today.

Keep me posted so I can live vicariously through you until I get up to heaven...
autumn leaf