Nervous about missing foliage in Stowe Oct 11-15

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

courtmel

Nervous about missing foliage in Stowe Oct 11-15

Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:40 pm

Hi all and pwt54-

I have been reading the foliage reports and understand the leaves are turning early and fast. We are coming to Stowe on Oct 11th and I am so nervous about missing the foliage. PWT54 what do you think? Last year was a washout and the year before my hubby had colon cancer surgery so we are really looking forward to this year and our vacation. Do we stand a chance? Can the foliage hang on that long? I need my foliage fix...
autumn leaf

admin
Site Admin

Re: Nervous about missing foliage in Stowe Oct 11-15

Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:52 pm

Foliage may have peaked in the Stowe area by the time you arrive, but it should be okay south of Stowe..Manchester and Woodstock will probably be better choice.

From what I am seeing here in the Northeast Kingdom and the Eastern Townships of Quebec, there is a variety of colors, some at peak and some with a week or ten days to go. I am betting that much of the Northeast Kingdom will be at peak by next weekend. That would put the Stowe area peaking at the end of the month. So you can see where things are going at the moment.
Tim

Andy

Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:10 am

Tim: I know a lot of this is totally dependent on weather conditions, but in your experience, when you reach peak (defined by the foliage estimators as 100%), does that condition last about a week or so after peak is reached, with some drop but still significant leaves and color?
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

Andy

Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:14 am

Autumn: I, too, started to get a little nervouse. I will be there about a week before you, staying mostly in the Northern part of the state, not far from Stowe. What is nice about the State is that most of it is reachable in a "day drive" from Stowe. My plans were centered around the Stowe area and North with some travel south of there. I am a serious amateur photographer and have some scenes already scouted. I am hoping they work out, but I have already started looking at "plan B" for some further south locations. I think the color will be there -- you just may have to go to it.
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

margym

Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:44 am

I've been doing an annual VT trek for the past 10 or so years - and my trip is always for 10 or so days in the first 2 weeks of October. Around mid-September I start worrying that I might "miss" the leaves, peak, etc. The good news is this: I've never been disappointed in what I find in VT. Although last year was really just strange in terms of color and weather, VT was beautiful as always and I found plenty of color (and other things!)to enjoy.
I've come to believe that "peak" is a state of mind :) and no longer worry (much) about missing it!

pwt54

Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:53 am

Don't use last year as your comparison. It was a washout all over. If you have read my previous posts about the great color right now I can see why you are nervous. But these trees are a narrow band of trees next to dirt roads and wet areas like ponds and swamps. These trees are stressed out and always turn early. Once you get away from this narrow band, everything else is running about normal. Oct. 11-15 will be late foliage time in the Stowe area. There will still be color there but less of the reds and oranges. Peak will be around route US 4 in the mountain areas and the east - central part of the state. For the Oct. 11-15 time I like routes 12, 14, 110 south of route US 2. Read my answer in the "Photography Columbus Day weekend" post for tips on The Tunbridge area. That would be a good area for that time.

courtmel

Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:25 am

pwt54-
Thanks for your response. If you were staying in Stowe on Oct 11-15 what are some routes and attractions (farmer's markets, quaint villages, etc) that you would recommend. I wish we didn't book in Stowe but stayed w/Killington area. I hate to miss the reds and oranges. Do you think we can still get a nice show if we venture east, west, or south? We spend our time driving around and getting lost in the scenery. I need some reassurance as this is what I look forward to each year. I thought Columbus Day weekend was supposed to be peak time in Stowe?

Thanks,
autumn leaf

pwt54

Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:11 am

The routes I mentioned will have some nice villages but I'll add a couple of other routes. If you are on route 14 in East Brookfield, take route 65 west to Brookfield and the floating bridge. Check out South Strafford and Strafford on route 132. Route 113 from Chelsea to East Thetford is a nice ride also. Stowe is not a bad place to stay at that time. You are only a few minutes from routes 14 and 110 in Barre.

courtmel

Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:39 am

pwt54,

Thanks for the info! I can't wait to get up there. This is the best time of the year. I can't wait to smell those woodburning stoves, wrap myself up in a sweater and walk thru the woods. Have you ever had breakfast at Sugar & Spice in Mendon? That is such a neat place and the pancakes are to die for. Great atmosphere; real Vermont folks. I will look for your foliage posts and if you think of anything else please let me know.
autumn leaf

pwt54

Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:31 am

I haven't eaten at Sugar and Spice. By the time I get there it's lunchtime. Today is not a good day for riding so I'm staying home to do some genealogy, but tomorrow I'm cruising through the northeast kingdom and northern New Hampshire to see how things are coming along. I see in the news they have winter conditions on Mt. Washington right now.