Photographing in 1st & 2nd week Oct

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

rpk4398

Photographing in 1st & 2nd week Oct

Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:59 am

I was in VT early/mid Oct, 2004 and found the Hogback Mountain overlook on Rt 9 quite nice. But one local photog commented that it was not the best year. My drive on 100 up north to 89 was quite disappointing. I plan to return either the first or second week of Oct and wonder if this year is better or worse.

I'm particularly interested in flowing creeks, waterfalls, and misty ponds etc. at dawn and dusk. Would appreciate location suggestions, and relatively close by basic lodging. I do have the Middleton book.

Thanks in advance.

pwt54

Re: Photographing in 1st & 2nd week Oct

Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:22 pm

We have had a wetter than normal year, so the trees in the wet areas are turning early. The color is very good. If these trees are any indication it should be a good year. The first week of October should be good from route US 4 and north. Peak color should be around route US 2. For the second week of October peak should be around route US 4. There are 3 streams of route 100 that might interest you if you don't mind dirt roads. In Granville behind the Blue Moose Bend craft shop is the West Hill Road. Drive this until the road splits and bear left. You are now on a National Forest Road. The stream beside this road should offer some good shots. The next area is the Texas Falls area off route 125 in Hancock. There are signs for this area on route 125. The last is the Bingo Road area of route 73 in Rochester. About 4 miles west of route 100 in Rochester route 73 makes a 90% left turn. At the top of this turn is the Bingo Road. For waterfalls, check > neuswaterfalls.com for lists and directions for our waterfalls.

Andy

Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:21 am

Hi PWT: I have mostly confined my limited participation on this board to colors, timing, etc. However, like the originator of this thread, I am a photographer. I am fortunate to have relatives who will put me up (or perhaps, put up with me :) ), so I have a "base of operations." But I, too, am looking for particular subjects. In my case, I primarily want to find some of those traditional Vermont Scenes with shots of Villages with white church spires and farm scenes. My Waits River and Peacham shots on the participants photo forum are examples of what I am seeking out.

I have the Kaplan Book, as well as David Middleton's book, and plan to return to Waits River and East Corinth (am hoping color holds out for me). But am also looking for some other shots like that (I am familiar with the Jenne Farm already). Given my time frame (Oct 7-15), any thoughts about some good shots?

Your member rating speaks for itself, but I really appreciate the effort you and Tim put into this board. It is useful and I am not aware of any like it for other destinations. Thanks for all the help!
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

rpk4398

Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:10 am

PWT, thanks for the tips. It sounds like that the 1st week of Oct will be passed peak for the NE Kingdom this year? I may consider next week for the Grandville and Rochester area, and the following week for Rt 9, etc. Can my little Jetta handle the dirt roads you referred to? Hate to call a tow truck.

pwt54

Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:37 am

Any dirt road I mention is " car friendly" and I will warn you if it's not. Andy, read my answer in the " Photography Columbus Day weekend " post. You should be in that area in the 2nd week of Oct. Get that round barn ! Take route 65 to Brookfield for the floating bridge. That area south of Waits River is great for what you want. You will have to get off the main roads and explore. South Strafford and Strafford have some great old buildings there. If you take the Goose Green Road of route 113 in Vershire Heights and drive that until it takes a sharp right turn, you will see the Heath Road at the top of that turn. There is a lonely old church there. The best shots are to the southwest, so you will have to get there before noon. East Poultney on route 140 is a good place to check out. It's not as well known and has some old buildings. A place I like to check out in Oct. is the Dead Creek Wildlife Area on route 17 in Addison. The snow geese stop there to rest and can put on quite a show. The area is about 1 mile west of the Jct. of route 22a in Addison. Look for a long parking area on the left. Another area I like to wander around is the Calais/Woodbury area between route 12 and route 14. There are a lot of short criss-crossing roads with a variety of views and buildings. Maple Corners, Kent Corners, Adamant are small settlements. The Tebbets Road goes under a barn (sort of) and there a few ponds and swamps. If you don't have a map of the area, go to the welcome center on 134 State Street in Montpelier and ask for one. Do this area early in your vacation.

Andy

Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:42 pm

Thanks for the info PWT. On my DeLorme Street Atlas software, I see a road going NorthEast off 113 that is called Eagle Hollow and looks like it eventualy becomes Goose Green Road. Is that it? (I know the DeLorme and MapQuest stuff can sometimes be wrong).
Andy

Andy

Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:45 pm

Thanks for that, BM -- assuming there are still leaves on the trees, I'll definitely check that out!
Andy

pwt54

Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:45 am

That is the same road. Look for either name on the road sign. I'm not sure which one the town uses. You might want to check Whitehouse Pond just uo the road and see if there is a photo shot there.

pwt54

Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:51 am

Oh yeah, if you are wandering around Barnet on a weekend, check out Ben's Mill on the West Barnet Road. There is some great old equipment there. Also, take a side trip up the Barnet Center Road for an old church and a great view.

Andy

Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:18 pm

Thanks for the clarification, PWT.
Andy

rpk4398

Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:58 am

PTW, thanks for clarifying the dirt road condition. Also, according this site's foliage map and the recent reports, my estimate that the NE Kingdom peak will be over in the 1st week of Oct is wrong.

pwt54

Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:40 am

The first week of Oct. is usually the best week for foliage. The northeast kingdom and the mountain area along route 100 as far south as route US 4 will be at peak or just starting to peak.