9-11 October Best places

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

lorvassa

9-11 October Best places

Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:24 am

Hi! I'm an italian guy that will come in Vermont for 3 days (9-11 October).
I'm planning to go one day in north vermont, one in midlle and one in south (in this order).
Do you think is a good idea? Or in this period the foliage will be better in one of this three places?

Please, I hope in some your suggestions!

Thanks in advance,

Lorenzo Vassallo

P.s.:sorry for my english ;)

Beth

Re: 9-11 October Best places

Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:06 am

I would highly recommend staying in the Stowe/Mt. Mansfield Area if you are only spending one day in the northern part and there is breathtaking scenery and many places to stay and eat in the Stowe area.

Then journey down Rt. 100 to the Killington/Rutland area for the same and spend day in the central part exporing.

Then continue down Rt.100 to the Mt. Snow/Wilmington area to see the southern part.

Mt. Mansfield is the highest mountain in Vermont.
Also, by staying along on Rt. 100 gives you the flexibility of activities and events to see and do without wasting time since you only have three days to see the state.

Just follow the backbone of Vermont ~~ Rt. 100 .

Hope this helps.

pwt54

Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:59 am

I see a problem. The time that you have picked is the week of our Columbus Day holiday. It will be the busiest week of foliage season. Trying to find a room will be difficult and expensive. I would use this website and other sites on the internet and reserve a room in the Killington and Rutland areas for the time you will be staying in Vermont. This area is in the middle of our small state and the best foliage will be close to this area. You can drive from Killington to anywhere in Vermont in about 2 hours.

lorvassa

Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:54 am

thanks a lot, all your messages are very useful!

Today I studied the map and I found some places where to sleep.

These is a draft plan:

09 oct.: Littleton, NH to Burlington, VT visiting the Stowe Area.

10 oct.: Burlington to Brattelboro, driving along the 100 and going to Woodstock

11 oct. A Tour in the south visiting Bennington, Mt equinox, manchester, Grafton.

dkramer

Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:45 pm

Hi,

In addition to what pwt has said, you may find that getting a room for one night in one place and one in another will be difficult due to the fact that many hotels and inns have 2 night minimums during holiday weekends. I would agree to locate yourself centrally (even if it means driving after dark after exploring the north) so that you can access every area of the state.

Daniel

Michelle

Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:37 pm

I agree, Stowe is a must,drive through the notch, The Green Mountain Inn, or for the $$$$ TopNotch to stay. Go to Gracies to mangare.
Burlington area, think it is all the same, and for the south go to the Inn at Saw Mill, in Dover by Mt Snow.$$$$.
Traveling Rt 100 is the only way to go.
If you are in Manchester , to stay at the Equinox is good, we just ate there this past weekend, and the food was disappointing, from what we are used to over the years, but the shopping is still excellant.
Buono fortuno