Color in the swamps

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

pwt54

Color in the swamps

Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:11 pm

I had to do some research in northern NY today. I took route 78 from Swanton to Alburg. All of the trees in the swamps next the river and Lake Champlain are turning color. Not just a tree here and there but the whole area. We've had a lot of rain this year and Lake Champlain is about 2 feet higher than normal, so the trees in normally damp ground are now in water and are stressed. I saw the same thing in other swampy areas in NY and Vermont the last week or so. Most of the trees are the red maples with their red and redish-orange leaves. Looks good.

Andy

Re: Color in the swamps

Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:33 am

Hi pwt54. I know this is like asking you to "predict the weather", but from what you are seeing so far, is it looking more like a "normal" fall this year? Last year, I traveled to Vermont during the first week of October with great anticipation. My love for photography was first sparked while attending Vermont Technical College for one year in 1976-77. I moved back to Michigan in '81 and except for a brief visit or two during the mid-80's had not been back. I remembered the vivid color of the sugar maples on the mountainsides, and enticed my best buddy and fellow photographer to come along, regaling him with tales of the fiery colors. Alas, for the week, as you recall, it was pretty "green." My 84 year old uncle, who has lived in Bakersfield all his life, said he doesn't remember a fall like that. I understand that the 2nd week was mostly cold and rainy.

I arrive at the Burlington airport on October 7, this year, for another week. I am really hoping for better color. I got the "classic" Waits River shot last year and it hangs accross from my desk at work as a constant reminder that I will be back and get it "in color."
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

pwt54

Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:24 pm

Last year's foliage season was not very good. We had a warm spell just as the season started so the foliage turned later and was not as bright. Then we had some high winds that blew down the leaves before their color peaked. This year the summer started out cold and wet. The middle was warm and sunny, then the last couple of weeks have been cooler than normal and wet. The trees that live in damp areas like swamps are turning right now and the color looks good. The other trees are still very green. It looks like things are moving along normally right now. If things stay the same peak color should be between route US 2 and route US 4 on Oct.7th. In the past I've noticed the foliage was better during wetter than normal years like this year. Keep your fingers crossed and your lense clean.

Andy

Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:14 pm

Thanks. Plans moving forward. I'll definitely keep fingers crossed.

Andy
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .